SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #31,202 of 45,723
What does this do exactly ? The “sheets” act like shielding ? Can I see pictures ? Thanks!
Let's see. With a paper thin very high quality copper sheet for example. Cut a tiny pieces about 2mm x 3mm i think. If you don't have it then just flatten solid core wires with something that similar to a jewelry press tools. Solder them on PCB terminals so they add mass of the terminal. Try one or multiple pieces. Solder internal wires back on afterwards. Play some very good piece of music and observe. Different metal materials changes sound characteristics. I believe the female Pentaconn can be improve little more.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #31,203 of 45,723
Let's see. With a paper thin very high quality copper sheet for example. Cut a tiny pieces about 2mm x 3mm i think. If you don't have it then just flatten solid core wires with something that similar to a jewelry press tools. Solder them on PCB terminals so they add mass of the terminal. Try one or multiple pieces. Solder internal wires back on afterwards. Play some very good piece of music and observe. Different metal materials changes sound characteristics. I believe the female Pentaconn can be improve little more.

instead of doing it inside the player, can’t you have it done at the Cables terminal instead ? Thanks for clarifying!

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #31,204 of 45,723
instead of doing it inside the player, can’t you have it done at the Cables terminal instead ? Thanks for clarifying!
Already try that. Do it at terminals have better results for me. I want warmth but without sacrificing roll-off high and mid goodness.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #31,205 of 45,723
s
Already try that. Do it at terminals have better results for me. I want warmth but without sacrificing roll-off high and mid goodness.
Thanks for that.
I am using the older firmware and the bass is perfect for me, I am not looking for any more warmth.

Add: I will pick up a used 1Z down the line at some point, and do the same Solid OCC Copper mod. Will be quite interesting to see how that player responds.
ADD: 20 gauge copper will have more bass than 22 Gauge, even if it is doubled up. This has been the case with my XLR cables.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #31,206 of 45,723
Roflmao! Thank you for excellent pictures!

What I think is that there are 2 types that love audio: technical and enthusiasts. The sound science is people that listening to stuff with technical explanations such as graphs and proven facts....enthusiasts like us have the freedom to listen to our heart and not bound or limited by any things. See, even Technical aspects and graphs...etc...can only explain so much, but, and it is a big “but”, it will virtually create a “box” to contain someone within.

you know what I am going to say next! The best achievements from Human Kind and it history comes from whether “Thinking out of the box”, or “Accidentally”.

Then you know what people call folks who always “thinking out of the box ?” Your pictures show it very well :wink: I love it

since u do mods on both sony and dx220 am8
can i ask you which prefer modded sony wm1z
or dx220 with amp8 ex

how do both modded daps differ

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #31,207 of 45,723
since u do mods on both sony and dx220 am8
can i ask you which prefer modded sony wm1z
or dx220 with amp8 ex

how do both modded daps differ

It would be a matter of sound preferences. But to answer your question, I personally prefer modded Dx220 and Amp8, I call the whole combination as (DX228EX). With sound preferences aside, Technically put, this combination can drive Full-size such as Hd800s very well in comparison

I still crave Sony house sound and Sony excellent engineering. But Sony has nothing with good driving power, not yet, except the DMP-Z1

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #31,208 of 45,723
will the new zx500 walkman sound better than 1A? anyone knows or have compared them? wish sony give us some cassete UI..!! option why sony?... why cant you love customers more! I figure it could be on par with zx300

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #31,209 of 45,723
will the new zx500 walkman sound better than 1A? anyone knows or have compared them? wish sony give us some cassete UI..!! option why sony?... why cant you love customers more!

I couldn’t care less about that gui. All I need is to browse my albums and then press play on the selected album. After that I turn off the screen

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #31,211 of 45,723
will the new zx500 walkman sound better than 1A? anyone knows or have compared them? wish sony give us some cassete UI..!! option why sony?... why cant you love customers more! I figure it could be on par with zx300

Check the discussions on the ZX500 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-107
The ZX507 is a major step up from the ZX300. I am in agreement with that opinion.
Is it better than the WM1A, not so easy to say. It is a different sound signature, which some people may find preferable to the WM1A, which already is saying a lot. I guess the only way to know is for users to compare and see which they prefer.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #31,213 of 45,723
I have one of these on the way to me. Should arrive early next week.

It's here. Burning in. The ATH-WP900 is a keeper!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #31,215 of 45,723
Hi, I am seeking your opinion if worth to upgrade WM1A to 1Z ?

My sound preference is neutral to slight warm, detailed, i.e. clarity to distinguish music instruments type, distance and placing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back