SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #30,662 of 45,723
I've never used SE on the 1A or 1Z so I can't say what the difference is.

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #30,664 of 45,723
I would assume the dock plus DAP is giving the same benefit as a clean power supply on the USB port. Also the better cables will shield better from external EMI. In my experience, the net effect is a reduction of glare in the highs, but without any loss of detail. On the contrary, some folks don't like this effect and will say the sound is more dull.

While it may sound counter intuitive when speaking digital, the type of noise I'm referring too, gets transmitted on the same digital lines, all the way to the analog stage where it turns in to audible distortion. I know first hand that this is 100% possible as I've had DACs where I can literally hear AM radio as noise because my house happens to be close to an AM radio tower and all the AC wiring in my house acts as a giant antennae. Alternatively, even the cheapest DAPs I've used around my house in battery mode have never picked up the same AM radio noise.

As a disclaimer......I’m the style of audiophile that does fall victim to any cool off-kilter build construction. I have RCA interconnection cables which are surrounded with small ball bearings, gold foil power cables? I’m trying to find the last ounce of SQ, if it’s there. The thing about power here (remember these are only my ideas) is that basically the 1A or 1Z would be cleaner going straight to the TA as they are battery powered, hence no wall AC noise. Though in function the DAPs run on battery 100% of the time so the dock charges them while they are sitting in it.

But yes, one of the main selling features besides construction methodology and materials is the Carbons EMI cover.

The extra dock electronics are USB filters which work with taking out USB noise and try and improve timing. The Carbon USB cable (to me) just seems to clear up the highs, also helping get better separation. The highs at first actually didn’t seem dull but brighter?

But yes, WiFi and EMI could effect some players, I think mostly in the amplifier or DAC section, where here we are bypassing both and using the amplifier and DAC in the TA? But there has been many reports of other brands of DAPs being sensitive to the external noise, to the point that people hear their own cell phone signals when they arrive and depart.

But I know very little of how power is transferred with a USB cable?

Funny now you can actually buy EMI wallpaper and make your listening room completely EMI free.......except the floor and ceiling? Lol.

They also sell small sheets of EMI paper, so you could wrap your gear like a gift!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #30,666 of 45,723
Is it me or its really true wm1z is on sale for 2399 usd on amazon.com brand new units. !!! ??? Wow

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #30,668 of 45,723
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #30,669 of 45,723
I couldn't hear a difference between SE and balanced on the WM1A on the Andromeda except for the balanced being louder.

I still am very skeptical on how anyone would even do this test. Number one you would have to hope that you had the same exact cable made by the same manufacturer and same brand of both 3.5mm and 4.4mm plug. Just those requirements are next to impossible. The next thing you would need to do is actually measure the volume level before listening as the 4.4mm output is going to be way louder...........and that in and of itself is singlehandedly responsible for a laundry list of wrong perception ideas. But EVEN if you did do all those things exactly correct many believe you may hear better 4.4mm separation and imaging even if the IEM was easy to drive. Still everyone’s hearing is different and some wouldn’t notice the improvement. Where we get unquestionably great improvements is 4.4mm on something like the XBA-Z5.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #30,671 of 45,723
The WM1a is going for $998 on Amazon and the WM1Z can be had for $2399

Yes but he was stating that brand new 1Z could be had for under $1000 and that I don't believe

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #30,672 of 45,723
joking...... I’m joking damn it
D8011DF3-FF87-41EB-9E05-24187E241579.jpeg

The prices are falling due to the new Walkman. Funny it has a knob just like the DMP-Z1?

Attachments

• 19E8B665-4BBD-4AFE-8FC3-94E04ABCD5BE.png
    19E8B665-4BBD-4AFE-8FC3-94E04ABCD5BE.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #30,673 of 45,723
joking...... I’m joking damn it

The prices are falling due to the new Walkman. Funny it has a knob just like the DMP-Z1?
Das ist der shanling Prototyp, der M30 Digital audio Spieler

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #30,674 of 45,723
What DAP is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back