SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #30,691 of 45,723
WoW that is some history!
Reading that make think that we really live in amazing times and soon technology going to boom so high and bring more affordable audio gear to us.

Thats cool thanks for sharing

Well the amazing thing is if you do buy a good HH Scott or old Fisher amplifier they can be sold at any time usually for what you paid for them or more. But as far as headphones go there are not that many with headphone outputs and they are going to have a very low hum. The knobs can be scratchy but still the sound is amazing.
Volume matched ahead of time, used 3.5 balanced with a 4.4mm adapter to switch quickly. Went back and forth 50+ times.

I couldn't hear a difference between SE and balanced on the WM1A on the Andromeda except for the balanced being louder.

Did you plug a 3.5mm balanced into the 3.5mm single ended then plug it into the 4.4mm with an adapter? Still the adapter would affect your out come.
I didn’t know you could plug a 3.5mm balanced into the 3.5mm single ended port?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #30,692 of 45,723
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #30,693 of 45,723
Well the amazing thing is if you do buy a good HH Scott or old Fisher amplifier they can be sold at any time usually for what you paid for them or more. But as far as headphones go there are not that many with headphone outputs and they are going to have a very low hum. The knobs can be scratchy but still the sound is amazing.

Did you plug a 3.5mm balanced into the 3.5mm single ended then plug it into the 4.4mm with an adapter? Still the adapter would affect your out come.

Yes, the 3.5 mm was plugged into the SE.
I assume the adapter wouldn't make a difference and I've never heard any adapters making a difference.

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #30,694 of 45,723
I couldn't hear a difference between SE and balanced on the WM1A on the Andromeda except for the balanced being louder.
i am very surprised that you cannot hear the difference. i am using R1 Zeniths with wm1a and the difference is quite significant. the imaging is quite improved and treble is more refined and sparkly. bass is slightly more controlled too.

But im posting for different reason;
I am really curious to try out a different DAP. wm1a is my first and only dedicated dap as i was using v30 before. I was considering 2 options:

1. Ibasso dx220. i like the size and all the hardware. it would just mean that my 4.4mm eros II cable becomes unused.

2. Cayin n6ii i like that its modular and has 4.4mm balanced. bu its quite heavy.

Could anyone who owned them compare the sound signature of both above to WM1A please? which one has better sound stage and imaging? also i dont like analitical signature.

Thanks a bunch!

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #30,695 of 45,723

The 3.5 port supports a trrs plug to give seperate ground just like the ZX2 did. Seperate ground gives a fair improvement over trs so could explain why he don’t detect any difference but then he is strictly speaking not comparing single ended to balanced

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #30,696 of 45,723
The 3.5 port supports a trrs plug to give seperate ground just like the ZX2 did. Common ground gives a fair improvement over trs so could explain why he don’t detect any difference but then he is strictly speaking not comparing single ended to balanced

There is the answer. Thank-you. Your the best!
1z1a.jpg

Fearless S6Rui IEM
Noble Audio Kaiser 10 Encore IEM

Han Sound Audio Zen 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated Furutech 4.4mm
Han Sound Audio ZENTOO 4 wire OCC litz copper cable terminated 4.4mm

Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.02
Sony NW-WM1A Digital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.01

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #30,697 of 45,723
i am very surprised that you cannot hear the difference. i am using R1 Zeniths with wm1a and the difference is quite significant. the imaging is quite improved and treble is more refined and sparkly. bass is slightly more controlled too.

I am really curious to try out a different DAP. wm1a is my first and only dedicated dap as i was using v30 before. I was considering 2 options:

1. Ibasso dx220. i like the size and all the hardware. it would just mean that my 4.4mm eros II cable becomes unused.

2. Cayin n6ii i like that its modular and has 4.4mm balanced. bu its quite heavy.

Could anyone who owned them compare the sound signature of both above to WM1A please? which one has better sound stage and imaging? also i dont like analitical signature.

Thanks a bunch!

I owned the DX200 and WM1A and the only difference I could hear between them was interference on the DX200 from the wifi. I don't know if the DX220 has the same issue.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #30,698 of 45,723

Thanks a bunch!

Cant really say much about dx220 but I had dx200 once, recently owned and sold n6ii.

My wm1z is unbeatable seriously, if you are like me you like warm sound maximum bass details and layering with delicious textures. Cant beat wm1z, maybe cayin n8 but I havent heard it. Those are the 2 only totl dap I know to date that offer warm and entertaining sound sig. Wm1z and cayin n8.

The rest is more on analytical side of things, so you would need warm warm iems or headphones to compensate.

I heard plunue L is warm aswell maybe as good as n6ii hmmm.

Lately I have read about lotoo paw 6000 something very close to wm1z apparantly and its priced at 1200 usd.

Has all the usb and bluetooth dac features as sony wm daps.

Right now I tremendously enjoying tia trio out of wm1z. I have to say its its something really amazing, I had z1r and didnt got that much love towards them as my trio... why? I guess its more fun side of things? More bass and less treble peaky with my edm music....
Its my type of flavor.

Dx220 more reference and analytical to my understanding.

Fiio m11pro more musical and less analytical but still close there.

N6ii very warm and thick, even thicker then wm1z but not as refined with nuances of layers and details. Has great micro details !
More bass slam.

I even heard hugo2 and I found wm1z to be more refined even against hugo2 lol. Hugo wound very very alike cayin n6ii funny to say that but huh dont know )

I would highly recommend you trie cayin n6ii with amp t01 or paw 6000 if money can afford go wm1z!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #30,699 of 45,723
Cant really say much about dx220 but I had dx200 once, recently owned and sold n6ii.

My wm1z is unbeatable seriously, if you are like me you like warm sound maximum bass details and layering with delicious textures. Cant beat wm1z, maybe cayin n8 but I havent heard it. Those are the 2 only totl dap I know to date that offer warm and entertaining sound sig. Wm1z and cayin n8.

The rest is more on analytical side of things, so you would need warm warm iems or headphones to compensate.

I heard plunue L is warm aswell maybe as good as n6ii hmmm.

Lately I have read about lotoo paw 6000 something very close to wm1z apparantly and its priced at 1200 usd.

Has all the usb and bluetooth dac features as sony wm daps.

Right now I tremendously enjoying tia trio out of wm1z. I have to say its its something really amazing, I had z1r and didnt got that much love towards them as my trio... why? I guess its more fun side of things? More bass and less treble peaky with my edm music....
Its my type of flavor.

Dx220 more reference and analytical to my understanding.

Fiio m11pro more musical and less analytical but still close there.

N6ii very warm and thick, even thicker then wm1z but not as refined with nuances of layers and details. Has great micro details !
More bass slam.

I even heard hugo2 and I found wm1z to be more refined even against hugo2 lol. Hugo wound very very alike cayin n6ii funny to say that but huh dont know )

I would highly recommend you trie cayin n6ii with amp t01 or paw 6000 if money can afford go wm1z!
Well i dont know how much different wm1a is vs wm1z but from what i read 1a is more neutral. So they compare from different point of view.

Cayin n6ii has new e01 module coming out. So that is very interesting. I will wait for a review to come out. Im just worried about battery performance with that mod a bit.

Ibasso seems to have wider soundstage and technicaly sound better. But i am worried about it being too analitical. Though i am using fun sounding bassy iems like CA Atlas, and IMR Zeniths, and soon Rah. So it might be a good match.
I just wish it had 4.4mm instead of 2.5 balance output.

And there is always option of just staying with wm1a. Or wait for wm2a lol. But it will be stupidly overpriced seeing 507 price.

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #30,701 of 45,723
Why is sony still using a proprietary connector?
Only thing keeping me away from their dap's

I have no issues with it, so far the most reliable connector ive used

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #30,705 of 45,723
IMO, if your IEM is low impedance and efficient (high sensitivity), there will be no subtle difference between 3.5mm single ended and 4.4mm balanced.

However, if your IEM/headphone is high > 50ohm and sensitivity lower than 100 dBSPL, the sound difference between single-ended and balanced can be easily distinguished .

Again, everyone hear things differently, there are many other factors affecting the sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back