1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Redcarmoose
    It was just a joke because it has a DMP-Z1 gold knob, like they made a mini DMP-Z1 to replace the 1Z. A joke..........as you know at some point maybe they will try and miniaturize the DMP-Z1..........And Walkman prices WOULD fall. :)

32A87D0A-620B-4CCE-8DD7-47D6976A61CE.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Aslshark and Vitaly2017 like this.
  2. RobertP
    Tubes have been around for long time. Good sound but they needed to be change when getting too old. FPGA's is the new stuff. No need for maintaince, reprogramable, and a lot more power efficient.

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  3. Redcarmoose
    It is new stuff, but I remember an engineer telling me about FPGA concepts 20 years ago.

4. RobertP
    Hmm, I thought tubes were around in the 60's maybe even older.

But anyway, class AB amplifier is the best for DAPs but how hot it gonna be, is it portable enough, how often for tubes replacement, and what is a battery life?

5. nc8000 Contributor
    Tubes were around in the 10’s and 20’s

Aslshark likes this.
  6. Redcarmoose
    Before they had amplifiers radios had big horn like things so they looked like those victrola record players. Henry Ford had a huge collection of these radios and as people didn’t have AC, they ran off of batteries. Later the first amps were made with 300b tubes. The 300b tubes were so reliable they put a 300b amplifier in the middle of the Atlantic under the ocean to boost the telephone signal from New York to London. But still in Hi/Fi... stereos didn’t really become loud or mainstream until the early 1960s. What you have to remember is most of this gear was just too expensive for most people. The 1958 Fisher 500 cost 1/3 of the price of a car and was mono. Nice sound but mono. Another big American manufacturer was HH Scott.

http://hhscott.com/integrated_amps_stereo.htm

The thing was that by 1962 they were making 42 watt home stereo amps which were way way louder than anything before. That’s why many consider the early 1960s to be the beginning of Hi/Fi. I had one of these as my main headphone amp until I purchased a Woo 5LE in 2009. Amazing that really this technology works as good today as it did in 1962.

https://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/50s/Audio-1958-Sept.pdf

Stereo was just emerging in 1958 and there was a majority who didn’t believe it would catch on.

C90099D9-00FA-4DB0-8226-2B4DDE8BD2BD.png

Here is a stereo 40 watt Fisher from 1958. I had a X101. A Fisher 500 too.

aisalen, RobertP and cosplayerkyo like this.
  7. bflat
    The volume pot on the DMP-Z1 alone cost $700 or more.

8. purk Contributor
    Try again. That’s a $1K volume pot if not more.

9. bflat
    LOL yeah. I was assuming Sony got better pricing. I wonder what the gold plated cap cost?

Personally a volume pot for $1K needs to do a whole lot more for me than just adjust volume. A WHOLE LOT MORE!

Some ideas:
    • Able to tell me my health status every time I touch the knob.
    • Voice and AI control that can understand my command "set volume not too low, but not too high"
    • Self cleaning feature, not just the knob but the whole device.
    • Can detect which album I want to listen to
    • Security lock feature based on my finger prints
    • Able to kill any virus or bacteria in my body each time I touch
    Probably have a few more, but this is a good start.

phonomat and gerelmx1986 like this.
  10. Vitaly2017

WoW that is some history!
    Reading that make think that we really live in amazing times and soon technology going to boom so high and bring more affordable audio gear to us.

Thats cool thanks for sharing

11. RobertP
    Is it like what apple did on iPhone X price? $1k for retail price but only cost them like $360 to make.

12. PointyFox
    Volume matched ahead of time, used 3.5 balanced with a 4.4mm adapter to switch quickly. Went back and forth 50+ times.

13. hamhamhamsta
    And....whats the result?

14. PointyFox

phonomat likes this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    Well the amazing thing is if you do buy a good HH Scott or old Fisher amplifier they can be sold at any time usually for what you paid for them or more. But as far as headphones go there are not that many with headphone outputs and they are going to have a very low hum. The knobs can be scratchy but still the sound is amazing.
    Did you plug a 3.5mm balanced into the 3.5mm single ended then plug it into the 4.4mm with an adapter? Still the adapter would affect your out come.
    I didn’t know you could plug a 3.5mm balanced into the 3.5mm single ended port?

Vitaly2017 likes this.