SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #30,406 of 45,723
we're gonna see 1TB selling for 150-200 in 12-18 months ,crazy

Probably, but I couldn't wait that long so got 2 on Prime day in the spring, one for 1Z and one for A45

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #30,407 of 45,723
Probably, but I couldn't wait that long so got 2 on Prime day in the spring, one for 1Z and one for A45

in this hobby , you either gotta have patience or money

Golden Rule.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #30,408 of 45,723
in this hobby , you either gotta have patience or money

Golden Rule.
In anything, for real...if you can get away with money and have it earlier, why not ? U may not tell what will happen in the next few minutes at all. You can actually find clips of people who drop-dead on a stage somewhere in the world ....it is reality

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #30,409 of 45,723
In anything, for real...if you can get away with money and have it earlier, why not ? U may not tell what will happen in the next few minutes at all. You can actually find clips of people who drop-dead on a stage somewhere in the world ....it is reality

of course WOLO but spending 500$ on a cable or 2K on a iem , this is realistically speaking an option than says you can afford it

i mean ,i don't think anyone here went out and bought a 2K iem by asking for a bank loan , right ?

so like i said ,patience or money .

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #30,410 of 45,723
of course WOLO but spending 500$ on a cable or 2K on a iem , this is realistically speaking an option than says you can afford it

i mean ,i don't think anyone here went out and bought a 2K iem by asking for a bank loan , right ?

so like i said ,patience or money .
And you are wrong : I know someone who did... 2 years ago and just finished to pay !

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #30,411 of 45,723
And you are wrong : I know someone who did... 2 years ago and just finished to pay !

this is actually the exception to the rule , which solidifies my point

have a nice day (without any bank loans for iem purchases)

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #30,412 of 45,723
I like my Sony NW--WM1Z more than the Sony NW-WM1A because...

That's a simplified answer. But the 1Z is not the deal the 1A is. I have always thought middle of the road was the best path when making purchases. Like getting the car that's not top of the line with options, but not a stripped model either. Not to talk bad about down-line with Sony DAPS but the 1A is the sweet spot in sound and value. Nowdays..............even more.......especially when you read what people obtain a 1A for................ 2X! they are the deal. Some of the low tier Sony DAPs sound inferior to an Apple IPod.......it's quite amazing really!

At least the Walkman 1A is the best deal in what I have heard. The ZX300 didn't offer the detail, the 1Z has slightly more detail along with a thickness and bass plus treble boost. But...........if you already had IEMs with that character using the 1A can get closer than 10% away from the 1Z. The ultimate truth is the 1Z has something.........in just a smidge of realism that the 1A does not have. The 1Z notes are thicker and more substantial.......which is an improvement on most IEMs. Is it worth thousands more? It's up to the person who uses the DAPs to decide. No one else can make that buying judgment but you. Though just to walk into a store and try both the differences will seem even less. I don't own a DMP-Z1 because I can't afford 8K-10K for a DAP. But if I had the $ I'm sure it's better than the 1Z. With 3.02 I like the 1Z even more than the TA desktop. There are trade-offs in that the TA has better imaging and maybe a blacker background? But for many it's tone first. The 1Z with 3.02 has this very midcentric detail boost. The 1Z has the treble boost anyway, except now the soundstage is better and more open. The TA with it's power still does better with full size in my opinion........but there are also members who prefer the 1Z over their own TA for use with full-size headphones. But I've never quite heard an update like 3.02 for the 1Z. It is detrimental with my more midcentic IEMs........which is expected. If you already are looking for warmth 3.01 gives it in droves........but for some IEMs you want all the characteristics 3.02 is known for.

The whole point of Head-Fi is to settle down and just listen to music for 10 years straight. We are not meant to continuously make new purchases in confusion like hamsters on a wheel going round and round in a cage. To get off the buying train should be the ultimate goal. The only way to do that is to know your sound and settle with equipment you can respect and not question. That is unless their is some endorphin rush that takes place opening new boxes and trying new gear for the sake of gear. If that's where the thrill is......by all means continue.

That is some strong and good thoughts friend I totally agree wm1z is really unique.

Also I'd like to add,
Wm1z had a very amazing smoothe linearity and tonality reproduction. Notes to notes are so pleasant, accurate and natural. There is no hiccups or strange resonance its really linear and continuous...
Wm1z is really on a different lvl vs all other daps on market.
Also I found wm1z is really fine tuned, it manages to reproduce very subtle nuances of music with finesse & delicacy....
While new daps bring in more micro details for example but unable to still bring up and sing those fine nuances of wm1z and to me thats what make music so delightful and good, not the technical details...

Also wm1z has very neet dsd playback its even more organic and analog then flacs...

With all the versatile functions of wm1z you literally have the best of the best!
Yes week points exist so does everything else to. Nothing is ever perfect, voila.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #30,413 of 45,723
I like my WM-1A better because I can put it in the pocket of my sweatpants without losing them.

HAHAHA
dont worrie you still got your underwears to cover your back :wink:

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #30,414 of 45,723
this is actually the exception to the rule , which solidifies my point

have a nice day (without any bank loans for iem purchases)

How did you figure?

He did just tell you he personally knows someone who did just that, right?

You made a statement about how most everyone in this hobby pays for their gear without any solid data backing it up but only your own personal take on things.

"this is actually the exception to the rule , which solidifies my point" Did you just arbitrarily decided that?????? Did you go out and did a survey?????

Does not 'solidify"'your original point at all, if anything makes the opposite argument that there are people out there that will use their credit card, get a loan, extra line of credit etc to pay for a piece of gear that he or she really wants and has to have.

I personally know young people with very expansive gear they had put on their credit cards making monthly payments on. They work hard and play hard!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #30,415 of 45,723
Folks, need some help on the firmware update.
I currently have the firmware 3.01 and trying to update to 3.02 on a Mac. My Mac is currently on 10.15.1 version (Catalina) and when I try to update the firmware on NW-WM1Z, I get error message 60010.
Has anyone tried to update the firmware on Mac using the 10.15.1.

Sony website says that the download is compatible with Mac OS 10.12, 10.13.
Stuck in a situation and need guidance.
Thanks

It no longer works on Mac if you run Catalina or Mojave with latest security patch. Your only option is find a windows machine and install it. I had the same issue and made a detailed post few pages before.. sorry you are SOL ON Mac with Sony firmware

another option make a bootable disk on ssd with older version of Mac OS from time machine or fresh install and then install firmware from that OS

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #30,416 of 45,723
Late to the party but have loaded 3.02 onto the WM1A. Didn't hear much of a difference between 3 and 3.01 but 3.02 is an interesting one. Immediately I noticed it reduced amplification volume on the balanced line out - when I normally listened to music between 68-70 with the A12t, now I need to push it up to 72-74 for the same volume range.

In terms of sound quality, 3.02 is more detailed than 3.01, sound is subtly clearer and bass is tighter and less fuzzy (probably leading those to think there's less of it, which in terms of impact there might be, but I absolutely think it's better quality bass).

Had been skeptical of the versions changing the sound, but no longer! Either way, I feel 3.02 is an improvement. And the A12t being a more bass forward IEM certainly benefits from the change by not presenting the sound as flat or neutral in the sense of lacking heft on the low end. Sounds gorgeous.
3.02 with a18t, I get more tighter strong healthy bass: not muddy like 3.01. More 3d, holographic and separation. This should turn your a12t to closer a18t level of performance. What I don't like is a bit bright or harsh on the high and treble boosted too much for my taste.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #30,417 of 45,723
Has Any one tried tia trio with wm1z?
How does it compares to wm1z + ier-z1r?

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #30,418 of 45,723
You are absolutely encouraged to name any brands in your impressions - both good and bad. Only members of the trade are not allowed to mention competing brands.

There's a lot that goes into the "quality" of a given cable:

1) How are the copper strands constructed? As you have experienced, OCC is preferred since the strand is drawn from a single grain to minimize micro fractures that impede current flow.

2) How pure is the copper? OFC is a general grade of multiple OFC standards which range from 99.9 to 99.99% copper. It's safe to assume 99.9% if your cable maker states "OFC". If you want accurate specs, the cable maker should be able to tell you how many "N" the wire has. OFC at 99.9 is 3N because it has 3 nines. Higher purity of 5N or 6N are 99.999 and 99.9999% pure, respectively. The price of the wire goes up exponentially once you go past 3N. That's how you end up with legitimate cables that cost in the thousands. However, given the cost, you can bet many unscrupulous cable makers flat out lie about the purity. 5N is usually the highest grade most reputable cable makers will use given cost/benefit.

3) How is the wire constructed? Here you get some debate, but electrons generally travel on the surface of the strand so a multi strand wire is usually the best design to maximize surface area at a given gauge. However, you get unintended issues with multi strand that single strands don't have so Litz construction is the best of both worlds since the individual strands are insulated. Litz has a numbering system that gives specifics on how many strands and the construction.

Beyond the above, things like alloys and plating, or 4 wire versus 8 wire, or quality of hardware connectors are all another layer of subjectivity that each cable maker offers as part of their brand. Let us not forget the more practical qualities of a given brand - service, warranty, and re-termination costs.

I got it from ELF Custom Cables. Advertised as OCC 6n 99.9999% copper plated silver. Can't find bad review but good. They only have soild wires for DIY from scratch. It need to be insulate with something that has low dielectric constant like taflon tape. Surprisingly much better sound overall that my Toxic Cables Black Widow OCC wire or SPC premium cable I bought from 64 audio.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #30,419 of 45,723
Has Any one tried tia trio with wm1z?
How does it compares to wm1z + ier-z1r?
Twister6 has in depth review on the trio. Did you check it out yet?

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #30,420 of 45,723
Hi Everyone!

Greetings.

I am using Sony 1Z and Z1R combo for last one month. I am 42 years old and almost enjoy every genre except Heavy Metal. From Dolby Atmos, I entered into headfi for about 1 year. Last 1 year I switched gears very fast and finally settled in Sony Signature.

I am curious how much I sould use volume level in 1Z? Except classical, I remain about 55 to 65 depending on recording in Balanced Out. I don't have hardware to measure db. Can anybody share comments on this? Or how much do you use?
Thanks in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back