SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #30,272 of 45,723
I am giving up altogether on leather cases. It seems that the edgecoating always fails.
case#1.jpg
case#2.jpg

I am giving up altogether on leather cases. It seems that the edgecoating always fails.
They don't make you look old. I love my case and I've had a few.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #30,273 of 45,723

They don't make you look old. I love my case and I've had a few.
I like your case too!
Currently looking for it and see others but not looks as thick.

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #30,274 of 45,723
Has anyone compares the digital output of WM1A and WM1Z to an external DAC?

Does the WM1Z sound better than the 1A as a digital source? Going to use my WM1A’s digital output to my Hugo TT2 by USB output.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #30,275 of 45,723

Does the WM1Z sound better than the 1A as a digital source? Going to use my WM1A’s digital output to my Hugo TT2 by USB output.

The difference with the WM1Z and A are all in the analog domain, so no, digital out should not sound any different. However, that doesn't mean that the digital out quality of both is good. If you are not happy with your 1A digital out to your TT2, you can be sure that 1Z will offer the same. Certainly not worth the upgrade just for that.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #30,276 of 45,723
I tried wm1z as a usb audio out and its super high quality I did tri ot hugo2 and I found hugo2 to sound even better that way then vs straight from pc. I found it was slightly warmer and like a hybrid 1z and hugo2 sound joint together.

Maybe your millage will vary but it was a fabulous pairing

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #30,278 of 45,723
For Mac users .. looks like Os Catalina has screwed up Sony firmware update software . I am not able to upgrade or downgrade anymore. It just gets stuck on the "connect your device to continue" screen. I was able to do this just few weeks ago when I downgraded FW to1.02. Also just few hrs I updated another Mac which still has Mojave with latest security update. Now I can’t upgrade / downgrade on that machine as well. The installer kills itself when you connect wm1z to the Mac for upgrade . In both cases the software is mounting and loading,but failing to update. I suspect Mac OS X is tightening its security for unapproved developer apps even when I have given explicit permissions in the security settings. I however managed to update firmware using windows 10 (thanks for nc800 box link).. Catalina has been a pain so far

any Mac user has experienced this after patch upgrade. Please note I could do this easily before the upgrade or security patch

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #30,279 of 45,723
For Mac users .. looks like Os Catalina has screwed up Sony firmware update software . I am not able to upgrade or downgrade anymore. It just gets stuck on the "connect your device to continue" screen. I was able to do this just few weeks ago when I downgraded FW to1.02. Also just few hrs I updated another Mac which still has Mojave with latest security update. Now I can’t upgrade / downgrade on that machine as well. The installer kills itself when you connect wm1z to the Mac for upgrade . In both cases the software is mounting and loading,but failing to update. I suspect Mac OS X is tightening its security for unapproved developer apps even when I have given explicit permissions in the security settings. I however managed to update firmware using windows 10 (thanks for nc800 box link).. Catalina has been a pain so far

any Mac user has experienced this after patch upgrade. Please note I could do this easily before the upgrade or security patch

Thoughts?

I experienced the same issue in the past, maybe migrating from 10.13 to 10.14 with some of the older fw, what I did is install the previous macos to a usb drive, that allowed me to upgrade/downgrade the fw without any issue.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #30,280 of 45,723
For Mac users .. looks like Os Catalina has screwed up Sony firmware update software .

Thoughts?

Only 64-bit software can run in OS Catalina platform. Most likely Sony firmware update software still 32-bit ?

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #30,281 of 45,723
Hey guys,

Probably someone already asked but I need recommendations for headphones to use with the 1Z.
I have the Shure Se846 with the kimber cable 4.4 from Sony and it sounds quite good. But with my HD600s I have to use the volume at max and it is still not loud enough. I checked if my unit is capped with this pc program one can find on the web but apparently it is not capped. So I'm assuming that Sony lowering output power gets is part of having better battery life than other players and the usual cheekyness of wanting to sell their headphone amp. That being sad can anyone recommend top headphones that won't need as much power to drive as the Sennheisers?

Thanks and cheers

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #30,282 of 45,723
Hey guys,

Probably someone already asked but I need recommendations for headphones to use with the 1Z.
I have the Shure Se846 with the kimber cable 4.4 from Sony and it sounds quite good. But with my HD600s I have to use the volume at max and it is still not loud enough. I checked if my unit is capped with this pc program one can find on the web but apparently it is not capped. So I'm assuming that Sony lowering output power gets is part of having better battery life than other players and the usual cheekyness of wanting to sell their headphone amp. That being sad can anyone recommend top headphones that won't need as much power to drive as the Sennheisers?

Thanks and cheers
I use the XBA-Z5 with the 4.4mm kimber kable with my 1A. Match made in heaven for me. No amp needed. I use an amp for other cans.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #30,283 of 45,723
I use the XBA-Z5 with the 4.4mm kimber kable with my 1A. Match made in heaven for me. No amp needed. I use an amp for other cans.

I think he's asking about headphone recommendation.

Hey guys,

Thanks and cheers

You may try Sennheiser 598 SR, if you have chance, try to auditioning it if you like its sound or suit your taste. :D

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #30,284 of 45,723
Hey guys,

Thanks and cheers
IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #30,285 of 45,723
Hey guys,

Thanks and cheers

Try the HD660S. Easy to drive in balanced from the 1Z on High Gain. Enjoying this combo a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back