1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. TSAVJason
    is that like saying don’t just go putting your jack in any hole? :gs1000smile:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
    Whitigir likes this.
  2. aisalen
    I think what Whitgir is saying is that to not use 4.4 with RCA. No issue in using 3.5 with RCA, I am doing it when I had 2 channel setup.

3. nc8000 Contributor
    yep and the other thing is tha dsd is only played natively on blanced but converted to pcm on single ended

4. gerelmx1986
    yea i know abd i fet thia fizzy distortion too. But on the fiacher ausio preamp of my friend in hamburg i get no such noises

5. DatDudeNic
    Agree dignis has the best fitting. As for me, since i HATE waiting i went for the miter since it was the only thing available locally.

LinstantX likes this.
  6. Whitigir
    LOL! I understand that feeling very well

DatDudeNic likes this.
  7. Maxx134
    I believe those tube amps have their input design as "single- ended", using the tube stage as an input "buffer stage", leading to the opamp.

So those designs send the "minus" signal to ground, instead of the sony amp seeing a load on it.

The sony output caps only prevent DC short but not signal.

I believe thats how the sony gets internally affected.

In comparison, solid state amps usually feed the plus&minus signals direct to the
    opamp chips.

That's my general take on it.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Nostoi likes this.
  8. Nostoi
    Ok, thanks for this and for everyone else's input. It's a shame there's not a way around this, but then perhaps the amount of people using playing DSD (albeit converted to PCM) on tube amps on SE mode is limited. I should underline that I have this on DOP mode - I understand Native DSD is balanced only, which is why the fizzy distortion is all the more odd, given that it's being converted to PCM. I can only assume something in the conversion process compounded with the tube is causing this.

9. Redcarmoose
    I know nothing of using the Walkmans connected to tube amps. But in general tube amps do just by their nature create different sonic artifacts at times. Many of the ones I’ve had over the years had a low hum that was considered normal.

10. Viszla
    Hello. You have Sony 1A and Oriolus 300S. Is it a good combination? Thanks

11. Nostoi
    I appreciate what you're saying, but what I'm describing isn't the usual hum one finds in a tube amp - it's a distortion that is peculiar to playing DSD/PCM files on SE mode. The tube hum is no problem to me, and is indeed normal. This other sound is hard to describe - it sounds like interference of some sort. I just tried it on balance mode with my Oriolus BA300S amp - it's there on native DSD but not evident when Native is unchecked. It's an oddity.

12. Nostoi
    Hi, it's a nice combination, indeed. It can be a bit picky in terms of pairing. For example, it doesn't really add much to Campfire Cascades, but for something needing more grunt, like the LCD2C, it really is sweet. It also worked well on brighter headphones like the HD660, that was a really nice combo. It only adds something like +3db, but what it does, it does well. I also just got the ALO Continental V5, which is not balanced, but pairs very nicely with the WM1A and massively expands output potential.

Viszla likes this.
  13. Viszla
    Dankeschön!

14. Quadfather
    I am giving up altogether on leather cases. It seems that the edgecoating always fails.

15. phonomat
    Also, they make you look old. :)

Quadfather likes this.