SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #30,226 of 45,723
no, I don’t, but I hear exactly the same thing on DMP-Z1 on previous firmware vs this current one. I am trying to get back the last firmware but I don’t know how =/. The DMP-Z1 already have excellent soundstage, where as any further with sacrificial on timbre meats and bass extensions would just make it very separated, and disruptive....but that is how I hear it.
It’s wonderful with IER-Z1R, but I love the HD800S more, and as I use it more often, I prefer the last firmware

You of all people......I would think would figure out how to roll back your player? It has to be like the Walkmans here?

By the way...the cradle to TA with AQCarbon is still my system, thanks to you. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #30,227 of 45,723
You of all people......I would think would figure out how to roll back your player? It has to be like the Walkmans here?

By the way...the cradle to TA with AQCarbon is still my system, thanks to you. Thanks!
I just need a link to download the last firmware lol. Also, I am pretty clumsy with software x_X

Oct 25, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #30,228 of 45,723
Been looking for a nice case to carry around the WM1A and IERs. Noticed Dignis sells a case called at Attineo and it's perfect! Thought I'd share:

dK8yYtN.jpg

jtcfdsY.jpg

That does indeed look pretty much perfect.

Edit: Unfortunately, it's unreasonably expensive. I mean, it's just a case, right? For that price, you'd think it came with some gear included, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #30,229 of 45,723
Many of us fail to give enough credit to our own innate abilities to get used to a specific sound. I have read countless posts about people getting used to IEMs that at first they thought would not work out.

Much of this style of change may take place IF there is subsequent information provided in the mids. Meaning it’s all in the midrange if we allow ourselves to partake of it. I’m now trying to get used to a cable which is very mid-centric. The cable is not really mid-forward but somehow has ongoing mid-emphasis, and detail due to it. It’s probably safe to say the 3.02 and it’s personally is going to be easer to switch to rather than a firmware which enhanced treble or bass? Of course this depends how far the departure is from what your used to and the firmwares personality with the IEMs used.

Laughably I still use 3.01 with the 1A, though? :)

I was initially thinking of changing back to 3.01

But the details is not as clear as in 3.02.
You can hear a bit better on 3.02 but the tonality need to get used to. Volume might need to lower, as higher volume gave me too much punch for my DD iem. Haha.

Every firmware there will be some songs that is not suitable for the sound of the firmware.

I changed cables over time... pure copper to SPC to silver/gold. Every type had it's own range.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #30,231 of 45,723
That does indeed look pretty much perfect.

Edit: Unfortunately, it's unreasonably expensive. I mean, it's just a case, right? For that price, you'd think it came with some gear included, lol.

Well it is a handcrafted semi luxury item. Just imagine the price if it came from Louis Vuitton

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #30,232 of 45,723
I was initially thinking of changing back to 3.01

But the details is not as clear as in 3.02.
You can hear a bit better on 3.02 but the tonality need to get used to. Volume might need to lower, as higher volume gave me too much punch for my DD iem. Haha.

Every firmware there will be some songs that is not suitable for the sound of the firmware.

I changed cables over time... pure copper to SPC to silver/gold. Every type had it's own range.

And of course there are those who think when we talk this way we appear crazy. This talk of cables and small firmware upgrades. The other progress is to be able to finish up. Maybe we never finish, but to be able to somehow get an arrangement where we can play every genre, every recording and be at peace. I sincerely hope that’s what this quest is about. To retire from Head-Fi.......to win the game. I don’t think our goal is wondering in this self-constructed purgatory of disenfranchisement?

We are designed to forget about the equipment and study music. Peace is when the curiosities fall away. Peace is when all is well. I hope to be able to forget about new stuff and what it offers, or the potential it offers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #30,233 of 45,723
And of course there are those who think when we talk this way we appear crazy. This talk of cables and small firmware upgrades. The other progress is to be able to finish up. Maybe we never finish, but to be able to somehow get an arrangement where we can play every genre, every recording and be at peace. I sincerely hope that’s what this quest is about. To retire from Head-Fi.......to win the game. I don’t think our goal is wondering in this self-constructed purgatory of disenfranchisement?

We are designed to forget about the equipment and study music. Peace is when the curiosities fall away. Peace is when all is well. I hope to be able to forget about new stuff and what it offers, or the potential it offers.
I am gonna tell you this....there is always someone thinking that you are crazy regardless of what you do ...lol

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #30,234 of 45,723
Hmm... I somehow got used to 3.02 sound.

Nothing wrong with our search for improvement especially when technology is now getting us ever closer to replicating and experiencing the exact musical experience as the musician intended it to be. Just don't obsess over it as that will destract/disconnect you from the music:)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #30,235 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the WM1A or WM1Z sound similar to the HAP-1ZES? I have the HAP-1ZES in my stereo rack and like the sound of its dac.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #30,236 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the WM1A or WM1Z sound similar to the HAP-1ZES? I have the HAP-1ZES in my stereo rack and like the sound of its dac.
Do not know for certain but would assume slight nuances of differences due to Sony not using off the shelf DAC's but FPGA's and assuming they code each for the hardware involved hence the differences in WM1A/WM1Z/etc.. Maybe someone here has both players?

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #30,237 of 45,723
So I’m having the weird issue trying to use the DAC mode on my MacBook and it seems like it will connect and immediately keep disconnecting and it will keep doing it over and over. Anyone have issues like this?

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #30,238 of 45,723
why hasnt sony updated the HAP-S1 and HAP-1ZES? They seem.not to support DSD 256

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #30,240 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back