1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. captblaze
    Y2K all over again

2. Redcarmoose
    Many of us fail to give enough credit to our own innate abilities to get used to a specific sound. I have read countless posts about people getting used to IEMs that at first they thought would not work out.

Much of this style of change may take place IF there is subsequent information provided in the mids. Meaning it’s all in the midrange if we allow ourselves to partake of it. I’m now trying to get used to a cable which is very mid-centric. The cable is not really mid-forward but somehow has ongoing mid-emphasis, and detail due to it. It’s probably safe to say the 3.02 and it’s personally is going to be easer to switch to rather than a firmware which enhanced treble or bass? Of course this depends how far the departure is from what your used to and the firmwares personality with the IEMs used.

Laughably I still use 3.01 with the 1A, though? :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    fiascogarcia likes this.
  3. mwhals
    Actually Y2.037K

watchfisher and captblaze like this.
  4. boblauer
    Had that on my ZX300, solid case but a little bulky. I went with Dignis leather case as I've owned a few and the quality is top notch. I use Dignis enclosed screen protector for now.

5. Whitigir
    Did somebody mentioned that they like the previous firmware better than the current firmware ? Is it because of the tighter and faster bass with more details and separations instead when compare to previous firmware ?

6. Redcarmoose
    IMO

Many felt that 3.01 was better than 3.02 with the 1A. The 3.02 takes emphasis of the low-end away to then create a fast, tight and expanded imaging effect. In contrast these same attributes added to the 1Z listening experience. It seems the 1Z needed attenuation in these areas, but for some the 1A didn’t do well with such changes. Keep in mind everyone has different IEMs and different sound signature goals. Some want brightness, some want more bass.

Again two separate sound signatures are not always improved by a single firmware upgrade for both Walkmans. By the way you don’t own a Walkman. Lol

David Kleinfeld and Whitigir like this.
  7. Whitigir
    no, I don’t, but I hear exactly the same thing on DMP-Z1 on previous firmware vs this current one. I am trying to get back the last firmware but I don’t know how =/. The DMP-Z1 already have excellent soundstage, where as any further with sacrificial on timbre meats and bass extensions would just make it very separated, and disruptive....but that is how I hear it.
    It’s wonderful with IER-Z1R, but I love the HD800S more, and as I use it more often, I prefer the last firmware

purk and auronthas like this.
  8. Quadfather
    I wish I were able to part with my LPG, then I could buy the NW - WM1Z now! It sucks having two players that you like equally. LPG is my jazz audio player and the Sony is my rock and roll player, but currently I only have the NW - WM1A and LPG

9. cosplayerkyo
    Been looking for a nice case to carry around the WM1A and IERs. Noticed Dignis sells a case called at Attineo and it's perfect! Thought I'd share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colors, SBranson, Aslshark and 8 others like this.
  10. TSAVJason
    that looks pretty safe and organized. It also looks easy to carry with you. :beerchug:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
    Quadfather likes this.
  11. animalsrush
    Now that is nice. Where did you get it from. Can you please share a link

thanks
    Pc

12. Levanter
    That’s the black right? Looks better than I thought. I bought the brown one but has been stuck in customs for a few days =.= Should be arriving today or tomorrow I hope.

13. auronthas
    IMO, best is to use Studio Monitor Headphone/IEM to listen if any sonic change from different version firmware.

Or Sony should develop different firmware for WM1A/WM1Z/DMP-Z1 LOL

14. djricekcn
    if you're in the USA, Dignis's website seems to be the cheapest, but shipping is probably varied. To california, total is 111.83

animalsrush likes this.
  15. Redcarmoose
    You of all people......I would think would figure out how to roll back your player? It has to be like the Walkmans here?

By the way...the cradle to TA with AQCarbon is still my system, thanks to you. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Aslshark likes this.