SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #29,806 of 45,723
I am currently at 3.01. Said it has more bass so I am staying with it.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #29,807 of 45,723
My PA has no balanced input. So,
I use ( AudioQuest product ) 3.5 mm mini to RCA to PA input.
McIntosh 275 amp, PrimaLuna DP PA,
1Z as one source for digital.
Use CD player as another source also.
Magnepan 3.7i + 2 REL S5 subs.
VPI Classic I turntable + Chinook phono PA.
The whole 2 channel system just sounds dam good downstairs.
Will test Jay Audio CD transport + Terminator DAC to replace the current CD ( McIntosh ) sometimes this week to see it even sound better or not.

Thanks! I’m looking into ways of using my WM1A as a source.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #29,808 of 45,723
Just asking earlier since you did not mention 1A or 1Z. I already have the 1Z. Love it.
Demoed between AK1000SS, CU, and 1Z.
Decided the 1Z is the choice.
Use it with K10C, Encore, and now Khan.
Use 1Z as a source to my 2 channel system downstair, not that bad. Simple and clean.
Use 1Z with ALO CDM, addictive for iem.
Listening that combo ( output 4.4 mm to 2.5 mm adapter, DHC 2.5 mm to special 2.5mm Silver IC into CDM 2.5mm balanced Input ) right now with Utopia. WOW....

Hey I was wondering if you get interference from cell phone? I just got my self the oriolus ba300s and I get some interference and its my cellphone ( I am always on the go so I feel being like an antenna for all those cellphones interferences . Such a bummer. And if you get your phone to close ooh boy you hear it louder.

The ba300s sounds amazing with1z. The bass is absolutely stellar and just wow. Treble is shinier and mids seems to be a little more bright. Sounds fantastic.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #29,809 of 45,723
Hey I was wondering if you get interference from cell phone? I just got my self the oriolus ba300s and I get some interference and its my cellphone ( I am always on the go so I feel being like an antenna for all those cellphones interferences . Such a bummer. And if you get your phone to close ooh boy you hear it louder.

The ba300s sounds amazing with1z. The bass is absolutely stellar and just wow. Treble is shinier and mids seems to be a little more bright. Sounds fantastic.
Hi,
I don't think I got an interference from cell phone when I use 1Z and CDM combo.
Only occasional static sound when I touched the 1Z, 1Z was on top of CDM. I usually placed the combo on top of my MB laptop. But now, I use BT remote to control the 1Z.
Use remote to control 1Z where I go with 1Z in my Jean pocket or short pocket.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #29,810 of 45,723
Ooops double post

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #29,811 of 45,723
Hi,
I don't think I got an interference from cell phone when I use 1Z and CDM combo.
Only occasional static sound when I touched the 1Z, 1Z was on top of CDM. I usually placed the combo on top of my MB laptop. But now, I use BT remote to control the 1Z.
Use remote to control 1Z where I go with 1Z in my Jean pocket or short pocket.

Hmmm maybe cdm is better isolated against interferences. I tested its not bluetooth. Its really cellphone connection to the tower causing this. Even if your iem cable get on top of cellphone, stick together example it will pick it up. Or you stack your phobe on ba300s it will pick it up aswell...

How do you like the cdm? How is the bass?

Since I got my oriolus I cant listen to 1z standalone anymore its just such a game changer in sound its crazzy.

That and my ier-z1r on top just amazing

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #29,812 of 45,723
Hmmm maybe cdm is better isolated against interferences. I tested its not bluetooth. Its really cellphone connection to the tower causing this. Even if your iem cable get on top of cellphone, stick together example it will pick it up. Or you stack your phobe on ba300s it will pick it up aswell...

How do you like the cdm? How is the bass?

Since I got my oriolus I cant listen to 1z standalone anymore its just such a game changer in sound its crazzy.

That and my ier-z1r on top just amazing

I just put my Note 9 next to the combo and no noise interference at all.
Early adapter to CDM when ALO sell it. Bought some other tubes not trying out yet.
Very open stage. It's getting a little bit wider. Bass is articulate right on the spot, no boomy at all.
A little warmth because what you hear is Tubey sound feelings.
Have these for tubes:
ALO CV5, CDM, Studio Six
Also have ALO Rx, Ray Sam Intruder as SS amp
McIntosh 275 tubes
McIntosh Integrated 6300 SS
So, I know what tubey sounds like.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #29,813 of 45,723
hi, just wanted to get some opinions from other members here, is it still worth getting the wm1a now (in 2019 Q4) ? i'm currently using NW-A35 as my DAP to listen to my flac files and for streaming i use my LG G6 as a dedicated music player. Now that the newer walkman models e.g., zx500 and nw-a100 are coming, i'm not sure if those would come close the sound of wm1a... and if the wm1a is still worth getting now. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I believe that you are still smart to get the WM1A:

1. Used WM1A in great condition isn’t that much more than the new NW100 and ZX500;
2. ZX500 is, I think, capable of WiFi operation for streaming, which might sound like a good thing, but has been causing lots of angst on that thread as it also meant that the ZX500 went to Android, with its much slower startup time and less direct user interface, and poorer battery life;
3. WM1A most likely sounds better (based on its placement in Sony’s lineup and its features... cant really tell until people report comparative listening).

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #29,814 of 45,723
So... (deep sigh) I dropped my wm1a and the front glass of the screen cracked, the screen still works, but still I’m a bit traumatized, I emailed Sony support to see the possibility of replacing the glass asap. Has anyone gone through something similar? I actually got a tempered glass screen protector that did NOTHING, didn’t crack or anything. If anyone has had a similar experience I appreciate any feedback on cost of repair and etc... oh man :frowning2: so bummed...

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #29,815 of 45,723
So... (deep sigh) I dropped my wm1a and the front glass of the screen cracked, the screen still works, but still I’m a bit traumatized, I emailed Sony support to see the possibility of replacing the glass asap. Has anyone gone through something similar? I actually got a tempered glass screen protector that did NOTHING, didn’t crack or anything. If anyone has had a similar experience I appreciate any feedback on cost of repair and etc... oh man :frowning2: so bummed...
yikes that is very unfortunate.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #29,816 of 45,723
I kept in pouch most of the time with leather case and screen protector.
I put to random all songs and skip track with remote.

I dropped it twice with pouch. It was ok.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #29,817 of 45,723
Does anyone know how the WM1A and WM1Z sound relative to a Questyle PQ1R or QP2R?

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #29,818 of 45,723
Does anyone know how the WM1A and WM1Z sound relative to a Questyle PQ1R or QP2R?
i've only tried the 1a and 1r but as for how they compare;

WM1A
Pro:
-Balanced output
-Better Battery life
-No bugs
-Touch screen (can be both pro and con)
-BT
-Much better buttons (QP1R has wobbly volume knob)
-UI
-More on the Natural side of things
-Less amount of hiss when paired with very sensitive iems (My Zeus XIV still hisses)

QP1R
Pro:
-Driving power
-Haptic feedback
-Better Treble performance
-Better Bass performance
-Better form factor (Much more pocketable)
-Transparency
-Accuracy
-Very Balanced tonality

Would also like to mention that the QP1R was the only DAP that made me want to cry because of it's tonality and realism. Best pairing for my Zeus XIV, The civil wars' Live at Eddie's Attic sounded so surreal and very immersive. Would have bought the 1R over the 1A if it wasn't for the hiss.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #29,820 of 45,723
May I know what sort of remote you use for that? Sounds interesting. :xf_eek:

i expect Sony’s BT remote for these players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back