SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #28,831 of 45,723
I just asked my wife if she would like to contribute to an advanced Sony player for "our" enjoyment.

her response,,,

what does it cost?

my response..

ultra portable - $3199 msrp
kinda portable - $8499 msrp

her next response

I only have one kidney to sell, so if you want the kinda portable Sony you will need to sell a kidney also

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #28,832 of 45,723
I just asked my wife if she would like to contribute to an advanced Sony player for "our" enjoyment.

her response,,,

what does it cost?

my response..

ultra portable - $3199 msrp
kinda portable - $8499 msrp

her next response

I only have one kidney to sell, so if you want the kinda portable Sony you will need to sell a kidney also
The going rate for used kidneys is $262,000.00. Don't sell yourself short.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #28,834 of 45,723
is that with or without anesthesia? I don't want my girl to suffer too much

and with the extra cash she can take a few weeks off to recover
She'll barely feel a thing. And, you should still have a couple of thousand left over after getting a HE1 Orpheus for every room of the house.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #28,836 of 45,723
Agreed on this 100%.

I keep restricting myself to not buy that Van Nuys case for the DMP to make it more “portable”. Cause if I do that, I will take it everywhere that it is still possible to do so.

And by doing that, my other DAP will never get play time anymore.
Currently I have the DMP just in the table of my home office.

if i were you, I would buy the VN case and sell my other DAP

your wallet (and your shoulders/arms) should get much stronger that way.

I approve 100%

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #28,839 of 45,723
I have some goals in mind for next year. When I get em done, I will get the DMP-Z1 to celebrate.
Spending 8 grand on a player, when you say it out loud sounds pretty ridiculous still.
Maybe the next WM1A successor will have some of that DMP Magic?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #28,840 of 45,723
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #28,841 of 45,723
I have some goals in mind for next year. When I get em done, I will get the DMP-Z1 to celebrate.
Spending 8 grand on a player, when you say it out loud sounds pretty ridiculous still.
Maybe the next WM1A successor will have some of that DMP Magic?

I just demoed the Meze Empyreans and found that I still like my Shure SRH1540 headphones better. Just saying... I think finding proper synergies can save people a lot of money.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #28,842 of 45,723
I just demoed the Meze Empyreans and found that I still like my Shure SRH1540 headphones better. Just saying...
It is soooooooo important to listen to DAPS/IEMS/Headphones for yourself, I have tried almost every iem under the tree, and I like my $900 planar single driver more than 3k electrostats.
Too many people get influenced by other people's opinions, you like what you like, that's the only opinion that matters.
Can't stress that enough.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #28,843 of 45,723
It is soooooooo important to listen to music gear for yourself, I have tried almost every iem under the tree, and I like my $900 planar single driver more than 3k electrostats.
Too many people get influenced by other people's opinions, you like what you like, that's the only opinion that matters.
Can't stress that enough.

I totally agree. I realize that my LPG has greater resolution than my Sony NW-WM1A. However, I find myself listening to the Sony 80% of the time. There is more to musicality than resolution. I know objectively that the Sony doesn't sound as good as the LPG, but I still like the way the Sony sounds more for some bizarre reason. Can I explain it in words? No.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #28,844 of 45,723
I totally agree. I realize that my LPG has greater resolution than my Sony NW-WM1A. However, I find myself listening to the Sony 80% of the time. There is more to musicality than resolution. I know objectively that the Sony doesn't sound as good as the LPG, but I still like the way the Sony sounds more for some bizarre reason. Can I explain it in words? No.
Same here. I just recently had a chance to listen to a lot of different DAPs, including up the food chain (3k plus) and I liked the WM1A the most. Go figure..
Synergy plays a big factor, but more than that, the Sony sound, it has that cohesiveness, there is more to music than simple technicalities. Firmware 3.01 to my ears is pretty damn impressive.
My ears are pretty sensitive to instrument timbre, and sony gets this more right than anyone else. (In my opinion)
Everything sounds like it should.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #28,845 of 45,723
Same here. I just recently had a chance to listen to a lot of different DAPs, including up the food chain (3k plus) and I liked the WM1A the most. Go figure..
Synergy plays a big factor, but more than that, the Sony sound, it has that cohesiveness, there is more to music than simple technicalities. Firmware 3.01 to my ears is pretty damn impressive.
My ears are pretty sensitive to instrument timbre, and sony gets this more right than anyone else. (In my opinion)
Everything sounds like it should.

I have my eye on the gold Sony because I heard that and loved it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back