SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #26,206 of 45,723
If 300R is clearly better than R6, R6 should be a joke lol :)

300R was thin, dry and metallic (treble side) sounding. I had no positive feeling on its sound.

I had only positive feeling about it's screen and Android implementation. It was flawless. I even felt into a feeling that the device seemed to be started as a smartphone project but later they changed their mind to make it a DAP :)

It has microphone on it, if it had camera and a SIM card slot it would be a good smartphone sure :))
Im not saying the r6 is universally better than the r6 but imo 300r had better synergy to my iems compared to the r6.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #26,208 of 45,723
So you mean even on 3.5mm comparison WM1A "blowns away" Opus#2? Sorry but I disagree (at least for now). They are very very compatible and no need to change either, if someone already owns one of them.

And please keep in mind my WM1A is below 20 hours of burn in. If burn in will make a serious gap and I will be blown away, that will make me happy only.
I've never used the 3.5mm SE so I I can't say how it compares.

My comparison is based on a burnt in WM1A and a burnt in OPUS#2 driving the Campfire Vega IEM. I used a Campfire Ref8 4.4mm cable with the Sony and a Campfire Ref8 2.5mm cable with OPUS. So the only difference was the source DAP.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #26,209 of 45,723
I've never used the 3.5mm SE so I I can't say how it compares.

My comparison is based on a burnt in WM1A and a burnt in OPUS#2 driving the Campfire Vega IEM. I used a Campfire Ref8 4.4mm cable with the Sony and a Campfire Ref8 2.5mm cable with OPUS. So the only difference was the source DAP.

Ok I got it.

Opus#2 balanced vs Opus#2 SE outs do not have so much quality difference for my ear.

But as everyone says so, WM1A balanced out should be clearly better (I will experience soon) than WM1A 3.5mm out.

For initial comparison between 3.5mm outs of Opus#2 vs WM1A. There was nothing to be blown away on either side (at least for me).

I will burn in WM1A's both outs over 200 hours and will be able to comment more precisely.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #26,211 of 45,723
if you go purely by measurements then yes Balanced output "should" have an edge sonically. until you take synergy into account. that metric is truly subjective and is the reason why Head-Fi has many different opinions on how a device sounds.

I am not thinking like that because of measurements, (I never give "overvalue" to measurements on earphones or sources) just I am seeing every user offers to try balanced out to judge WM1A/Z fairly. I don't know if there are opposite ideas.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #26,212 of 45,723
I am not thinking like that because of measurements, (I never give "overvalue" to measurements on earphones or sources) just I am seeing every user offers to try balanced out to judge WM1A/Z fairly. I don't know if there are opposite ideas.

understood...

my comment is based on how I can read different impressions of the same device. in short we all possess a uniqueness regarding how our brain perceives the signals it is receiving, and to lump it all into a generic category is only making for more confusion and not less.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #26,214 of 45,723
understood...

my comment is based on how I can read different impressions of the same device. in short we all possess a uniqueness regarding how our brain perceives the signals it is receiving, and to lump it all into a generic category is only making for more confusion and not less.

Sure you are right.

I like to compare things side by side with "noticeable" things (to human hearing) instead of measured things.

For example, under same circumstances if one device can produce a detail in a track clearly but the other not, that is not a subjective thing. This clearly shows one is having better detail level.

Or if one device gives natural sounds in unnatural way (for example clapping, birds singing, water flow, wind etc..) that is again not a subjective or "taste" kind of thing for me. Everyone hears those sounds every moment in daily life, if a headphones sound is somewhat unnatural or metallic that is a noticeable thing for most people. It's not measurable but it's a noticeable thing.

But afterall, enjoying a sound signature or not is another issue. For example, I know there are lots of Chord Mojo lovers around, yes it has good technical capability especially in mid range but it's narrow soundstage and over-mid focused presentation is not my taste.

This hobby includes so much variables.

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #26,216 of 45,723
Sony WM1A or Ibasso DX200 for Sennheiser HD650? (Balanced connection)

Anyone has tried both daps with the HD650? I’d appreciate comments about which of them have the best tonal matching for the HD650. I never drive my Senns very loud or hard and I’m looking for the most transparent, resolute and organic pure sound.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dec 26, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #26,217 of 45,723
Does anyone here use the DSEE HX upscaling option on their 1A / 1Z? Pros and cons?

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #26,218 of 45,723
Does anyone here use the DSEE HX upscaling option on their 1A / 1Z? Pros and cons?

I'm sure someone will be able to help... I would, but I'm more of a plug the headphones in and play the device without really utilizing many of the features. I am always in direct mode.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #26,220 of 45,723
Sony WM1A or Ibasso DX200 for Sennheiser HD650? (Balanced connection)

Anyone has tried both daps with the HD650? I’d appreciate comments about which of them have the best tonal matching for the HD650. I never drive my Senns very loud or hard and I’m looking for the most transparent, resolute and organic pure sound.

Thanks a lot in advance!

It will probably depend on what amp board you put in the DX200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back