SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #25,561 of 45,723
I am very confident that you would love Wm1A from what you described above :)

Given that Wm1Z could drive my Hd800S so wel with 4.4mml, there is no reason why WM1A can not
the only problem for is i dont own anything thats 4.4mm, also, its almost 2x the price of the A&K SR15... im wondering if it is 2x more the DAP. i tired the iBasso DX200 and i was very unimpressed comparing it to my FiiO X5 Gen3. i know the fiio is no match for the sony but i'd like to make sure its justifying the price.. its almost 1800$ in my city after tax from sony... :X and in that price range... a lot more daps become available.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #25,562 of 45,723
the only problem for is i dont own anything thats 4.4mm, also, its almost 2x the price of the A&K SR15... im wondering if it is 2x more the DAP. i tired the iBasso DX200 and i was very unimpressed comparing it to my FiiO X5 Gen3. i know the fiio is no match for the sony but i'd like to make sure its justifying the price.. its almost 1800$ in my city after tax from sony... :X and in that price range... a lot more daps become available.

What $ is that, surely not US ?

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #25,564 of 45,723

Pretty hard to say here. I was not impressed by Dx200 and it stock amp1 module. But with the upgraded modules from Amp3 up to Amp8 now are all wonderful to my ears, and in fact I sold my 1Z to get away from portable DAP....but got pulled back in by their Dx200Titanium version as you can see in my avatar :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #25,568 of 45,723
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #25,569 of 45,723
how is that possible ?

the 400GB is 392GB and the 512GB is 536GB (formatted)

Also, with FW3.0 there's something weird how the z1 does cards...i always just formatted as exfat and copied using a small microsd adapter card with usb3, not even using the player

the z1 would *not* recognize the card until i formatted it in the z1

comes up as "SD_CARD"

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #25,573 of 45,723
Personally I'm not a fan of most AK units, Although I really like the AK SP1000M, had a lot of body and weight that the WMZ1 possesses, maybe the AK4497 dac? Not sure....Personally if you don't have the $ for the 1Z and don't need streaming the WM1A is a great sounding DAP, and has a great UI.
I currently use my FiiO X5 Gen 3, and its fitting me well but the UI is annoying the **** out of me.
I think im better off switching to a DAP that has their own fast proprietary UI rather than Android.
but, the main reason im a bit hesitant about the WM1Z is that
a) it has its own unique usb to sony plug. which if anything happens to that cable im kinda... stuck :S
b) im scared it might not be able to power certain headphones i might end up getting that may be power hungry.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #25,574 of 45,723
I currently use my FiiO X5 Gen 3, and its fitting me well but the UI is annoying the **** out of me.
I think im better off switching to a DAP that has their own fast proprietary UI rather than Android.
but, the main reason im a bit hesitant about the WM1Z is that
a) it has its own unique usb to sony plug. which if anything happens to that cable im kinda... stuck :S
b) im scared it might not be able to power certain headphones i might end up getting that may be power hungry.
I came from the Fiio X5 2nd gen.. It was so bad lol. I think android is bad on most daps because they are underpowered and have outdated versions of android.

Keep in mind that the WM1Z is a full pound, or .45 kg.. so if you want portability, it's kind of an issue. My WM1A is kinda pushing it, even. I think it's 9 oz. The cables are readily available and pretty cheap. I bought 4 just in case anything happens and to have one in my car. These are the exact ones I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZSHC67/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to use actual headphones, the best way to do that is to get a a balanced cable. The WM1A powers my HD6XX ok. They sound great except it sounds like some of the bass is missing. I tried my new ZMF Eikon and they seem a bit less power hungry than the Senns and have more bass, even through single ended.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #25,575 of 45,723
I came from the Fiio X5 2nd gen.. It was so bad lol. I think android is bad on most daps because they are underpowered and have outdated versions of android.

Keep in mind that the WM1Z is a full pound, or .45 kg.. so if you want portability, it's kind of an issue. My WM1A is kinda pushing it, even. I think it's 9 oz. The cables are readily available and pretty cheap. I bought 4 just in case anything happens and to have one in my car. These are the exact ones I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZSHC67/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to use actual headphones, the best way to do that is to get a a balanced cable. The WM1A powers my HD6XX ok. They sound great except it sounds like some of the bass is missing. I tried my new ZMF Eikon and they seem a bit less power hungry than the Senns and have more bass, even through single ended.
I'm glad to see that there are cheap cables available on amazon. thanks very much for that :)
as for weight, its not an issue because the DAP usually sits in my jacket breast pocket or if its summer, my jeans pocket or in my backpack.

as for power output, i do use the DT1990 pros, B&O H6 Gen II, and in future im hoping to buy the Audeze LCD2C(Classic) and possibly a AKG K712 Pro. i might even get a Mr.Speakers Aeon (undecided if open/closed) so these headphones mentioned do require some power. I'm not an IEM user so, i would def require more power if the Sony can't handle it :frowning2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back