1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. NaiveSound
    That oriolus thing supossadly hisses.... That's unfortunate, at least I can rule it out. 3.0 /1z is amazing at a micro hiss. Basically not there. Even with sensitive iems

2. bitonio
    First tentative not very conclusive: used the SE output of the WM1A wired into Jotunheim input (cable jack 3.5mm to RCA)
    I compared the same track with the WM1 as source and the the Modi Multibit, on a Focal Clear (balanced output)
    WM1A sounds dimmed (although volume on the DAC was set to 120), and super flat, without life, completely different from what I get directly from the output.

Not sure if the SE input to Balanced could mess thing up. I was just curious.
    I'll try the single ended cable I got in the Clear box and see if it helps.

More tests soon.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  3. nc8000 Contributor
    Never mix single ended and balanced, only single ended to single ended and balanced to balanced

4. bflat
    You might also try hi gain output on your WM1a.

5. bitonio
    I took my favorite test your headphone playlist (mix of rock, indie and electro, all FLAC, some hires)
    Test below all done in single ended mode.

[​IMG]

1st session with the WM1A in DAC mode, wired into the Jot with jack-RCA cable
    WM1A settings:
    - Low gain
    - volume to 120 on the DAC
    Amp settings:
    - 10 o'clock on the amp

2nd session with the internal multi-bit

9 o'clock on the amp, still wow effect, this combo gives me goose bump

3rd session with the Clear directly in the DAP

WM1A settings:
    - Low gain
    - volume to 60 on the DAC
    Definitely better than in DAC mode with amp

Summary for this quick Single Ended test:

Modi Multibit module + Jot + Clear >> DAP - Clear > DAP in DAC mode + Jot amp + Clear

I tried, it helps matching the level of the internal DAC (almost) but the overall signature has nothing to do with the internal multibit DAC which is a much better combo with the Clear, crispy details, punchy, great separation.

In the office I tried to pair the DAP with my old Fidelio X1... it is definitely better than my existing DAC (Audio Engine D1), I am gonna sold it for this very reason :)

6. Deftone
    Talking about low distortion, I have never seen any measurements for the Sony Walkmans 1A/1Z. They could only have a SNR of 85 for all we know, has someone personally measured jitter etc?

(Yes I know it doesn’t determine sound quality, but I’m still interested)

7. nc8000 Contributor
    There are charts and measurements several places within this thread

8. gerelmx1986
    For line out i do High Gain and maxed volume

purk likes this.
  9. purk Contributor
    Same here! Love my 1Z as a source into other amps.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  10. Redcarmoose
    Exactly......

Though to each his own. Best part is everyone likes the versatility of the Walkmans.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. Redcarmoose
    So then you found it was 50/50? Out from the 1A was better than the D1 making a line level signal for the amp, but in other cases.......no?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. bitonio
    At my office I used the WM1A as DAC and Amp, no external amp, WM1A has no issue to move the X1 (30 ohms).
    The Clear is a lot more difficult to drive (even its only 55 ohms rating), and thus even with the high gain.

So as a line out/pre-amp with WM1A Single Ended, high gain or not I am not convinced. It works and you'll need to push the volume on the external amp compare to other sources.
    I'd love to try the setup fully balanced, I don't have the cable 4.4mm to double 3-pin XLR and don't plan to get one unless someone has one to spare.

13. bitonio
    Totally agree on that, this little thing has so much potential now it can ruin ppl just on cable :)
    I am really delighted Sony made this move, I too invite folks to try around, the 250 mW (vs. 60 mW) on the balanced output should make a big difference on line output.

14. bana
    Guys,

For the record, I'm using this cable from my 1Z to a Qimpu A6000 amp in the office, (when no one's around) and to my Mystere IA21 at home.
    I'm happy as pig in slop!!

[​IMG]

Redcarmoose likes this.
  15. echineko
    davidmolliere likes this.