SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #25,112 of 45,723
That does not really prove anything as you are then comparing the sound of the WM dac and amp to the sound of a completely different dac so there is no way you can say the sound difference is just a result of double amping

Your right, there can be many convolutions. Lol.

Hay.......and the only reason I push this subject is so people don’t keep doing what they are doing and get improvements. This is a site where all of us are basicly attempting the same cause; sound quality. And I couldn’t count all the help I have been given here and at meets. Things you learn, you tend to keep and forget where you learned it from. The things we have found out, we basicly almost take self credit for.......when in truth someone helped us.

Obviously you own the TA-SH1ES amp and you know what the Z1 added as a file transport sounds like. It’s a level of sound quality with many headphones including the Z1R. It’s safe to say at a meet if it fit a groups desired sound signature they would complement it. So we have a level of quality. It’s truly subjective but most would find something favorable.

Using the different equipment I had it was really really easy to beat what the 1Z sounded like going single ended 3.5mm to RCAX2 to the different amps I had. And using only my subjective listening it seemed other DACs going line out could beat the 3.5mm to RCAX2 results.

And again it maybe would not be double volume controls adding to cause the issue? But double volumes are consistently talked negatively about on forums across the internet. Even yourself could easily do a side by side comparison by plugging your 1Z into your TA amp analog RCA inputs with the 3.5mm to 2XRCA. Then go in digitally bypassing the 1Z DAC. And.......of course even in this test we are comparing two DACs, but the differences are drastic, so dramatic you may hear where I’m coming from.
It’s more than simply two DACs and their intrinsic character.

It’s not going to be as clear or as audiophile. But obviously it’s all subjective. Of course much of this is depending on what sound your after.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #25,113 of 45,723
Anyone using Acoustune HS1650CU or HS1670SS with their 1Z? Thoughts or impressions? Thanks.

I've tested both before with my 1Z, vastly prefer the HS1650CU due to the smoother treble. The 1670SS is a little bit too sharp for my taste.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #25,114 of 45,723
Hi Folks,
Just passing along that 1Z is available on great price (~ USD 1,950) from Jaben. I own the 1A and have now ordered the 1Z from them as the price is really attractive. I think this sale may be just for few more hours ??

Once I get the 1Z, my 1A will be avilable for sale. It is in perfect condition and has 390 hours of pay time on the unit. Mostly on 4.4 balanced out.

https://jaben-the-little-headphone-store.myshopify.com

That's a fabulous price. Unfortunately it is an import model, warranty could be an issue.

But still, great pricing.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #25,115 of 45,723
That's a fabulous price. Unfortunately it is an import model, warranty could be an issue.

But still, great pricing.

Totally agree with you that warranty is always an issue when one buys from other countries. Personally, if I am buying a high end product from a reputable manufacturer, I have never worried about it and warranty only lasts 1 year or so. If anything happens to product beyond warranty, you can still get the unit serviced in your home country. So, just personally speaking, warranty has not stopped me from taking advantage of a super discount which in this case is huge... (versus the US price).

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #25,116 of 45,723
Your right, there can be many convolutions. Lol.

Hay.......and the only reason I push this subject is so people don’t keep doing what they are doing and get improvements. This is a site where all of us are basicly attempting the same cause; sound quality. And I couldn’t count all the help I have been given here and at meets. Things you learn, you tend to keep and forget where you learned it from. The things we have found out, we basicly almost take self credit for.......when in truth someone helped us.

Obviously you own the TA-SH1ES amp and you know what the Z1 added as a file transport sounds like. It’s a level of sound quality with many headphones including the Z1R. It’s safe to say at a meet if it fit a groups desired sound signature they would complement it. So we have a level of quality. It’s truly subjective but most would find something favorable.

Using the different equipment I had it was really really easy to beat what the 1Z sounded like going single ended 3.5mm to RCAX2 to the different amps I had. And using only my subjective listening it seemed other DACs going line out could beat the 3.5mm to RCAX2 results.

And again it maybe would not be double volume controls adding to cause the issue? But double volumes are consistently talked negatively about on forums across the internet. Even yourself could easily do a side by side comparison by plugging your 1Z into your TA amp analog RCA inputs with the 3.5mm to 2XRCA. Then go in digitally bypassing the 1Z DAC. And.......of course even in this test we are comparing two DACs, but the differences are drastic, so dramatic you may hear where I’m coming from.
It’s more than simply two DACs and their intrinsic character.

It’s not going to be as clear or as audiophile. But obviously it’s all subjective. Of course much of this is depending on what sound your after.

Yes you are quiet right that double amping is normally not a good thing.

I actually don’t know what the 1Z sounds like as a source for the TA amp as I exclusively use the 1Z as a travel rig with iem’s. At home I use an Auralic Aries Mini as digital source for the TA

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #25,118 of 45,723
What would be the best DAC would you use coming from the WM1Z to a power amp such as your home stereo knowing that for sure you want to preserve the same 1Z sound?

If you want to preserve the 1Z sound you have no choice other than going from one of the headphone out. If you go digital you will be listening to the sound of the external dac and not the 1Z

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #25,120 of 45,723
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #25,121 of 45,723
That is interesting.

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #25,123 of 45,723
The DAP has a volume thus two volume controls, that’s why the Walkmans sound better going to a DAC then to an amp with volume control. These at least have been my findings. They simply loose the great quality they have with 2 volume controls. If they had line out like the old Walkmans we would be fine, but they don’t. 100% volume doesn’t negate the volume control.

But if you have some documentation in writing which disproves what has been a common understanding for over 50 years, please post it.

The thing is no one has tested this. Everyone just plugs their DAP into an amp with a volume control and says it sounds fine. I myself have tested it both ways and it’s way better going to a DAC with the Walkmans.

We have never had a post where the owner plugged his Walkman into a DAC then went line-level to an amp with a volume control, but said that going straight into the amp with the volume control using a 3.5mm to RCAX2 was better. No one has ever stated that they have done a comparison side by side.

Definitely trust your own ears and what your wallet allows. Sony S Master HX digital amp, much like the Chord DAC products, combine the DA conversion and amplification into one chip. The volume controls all happen in the digital domain and has no bearing on the analog output. This is both energy efficient and very low distortion and noise.

I would encourage folks to try using the WM1a/z as a source line out. You can't break anything by doing it and all you risk is purchasing a cheap adapter cable. Please share your results.

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #25,124 of 45,723
The OPUS#2 doesn't have a dedicated line out but it does have a line out setting which sets the output volume at maximum in low gain and disables the volume control. So you could call this the poor mans line out.

So why couldn't Sony do something similar?

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #25,125 of 45,723
The OPUS#2 doesn't have a dedicated line out but it does have a line out setting which sets the output volume at maximum in low gain and disables the volume control. So you could call this the poor mans line out.

So why couldn't Sony do something similar?

Yes it’s strange as the WM port used to include line out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back