SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #25,097 of 45,723
Able to control 1z from my couch
The stereo is far away and having a 3m cable seems funny
Bluetooth and phone is fine with tidal but not feeling very hifi:)

You can get a remote for the WM players, but it does not have a screen so you cant change album and see what you are doing

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #25,098 of 45,723
Oct 27, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #25,100 of 45,723
Yes, but your still using two volume controls. It all comes down to what sound you enjoy and what works. Hooking the 1Z with a 3.5mm to 2X RCA to my Asgard One sounded horrible. And the Asgard and Sony TA are relatively the same level of power. But bypassing one volume control and going digitally into the the TA amp is another world.

Two volume controls are truly not optimal and never have been. Unless your this guy?

Well, I am if I use other component between my 1A and the amp but I am not. As I have said, I am only using 3.5mm to 2xRCA and satisfied just like the rest here.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #25,101 of 45,723
71C58EB4-D7B4-48A7-8FB7-BFC9D46A444D.jpeg
Well, I am if I use other component between my 1A and the amp but I am not. As I have said, I am only using 3.5mm to 2xRCA and satisfied just like the rest here.

Yes but what your hooking your DAP to has a volume knob thus two volume knobs. Obviously many are happy doing it that way, and I’m glad you like it. But, it still needs to be noted that there are better ways. A way to test would be use your Walkman as a file player and run an actual DAC into the line level input of the 265ai. After you have done that you may like it better.

People should just do what makes them happy, in many ways there is no right or wrong as long as you get great entertainment. Still without testing you don’t know what your missing. Two volume knobs hasn’t worked out for me personally.

If you have to option to make the 265ai into a power amp that runs full-tilt 100% of the time and access an input which bypasses the volume knob it would work.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #25,103 of 45,723

Yes but what your hooking your DAP to has a volume knob thus two volume knobs. Obviously many are happy doing it that way, and I’m glad you like it. But, it still needs to be noted that there are better ways. A way to test would be use your Walkman as a file player and run an actual DAC into the line level input of the 265ai. After you have done that you may like it better.

People should just do what makes them happy, in many ways there is no right or wrong as long as you get great entertainment. Still without testing you don’t know what your missing. Two volume knobs hasn’t worked out for me personally.

If you have to option to make the 265ai into a power amp that runs full-tilt 100% of the time and access an input which bypasses the volume knob it would work.

No it has not as it is a pure power amp so he is using the WM as source and preamp

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #25,105 of 45,723

That’s backwards. You set your Sony DAP to 100% volume which makes it a fixed line out to the integrated amp. The volume control on the integrated amp should be your one and and only variable volume.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #25,106 of 45,723
That’s backwards. You set your Sony DAP to 100% volume which makes it a fixed line out to the integrated amp. The volume control on the integrated amp should be your one and and only variable volume.
The DAP has a volume thus two volume controls, that’s why the Walkmans sound better going to a DAC then to an amp with volume control. These at least have been my findings. They simply loose the great quality they have with 2 volume controls. If they had line out like the old Walkmans we would be fine, but they don’t. 100% volume doesn’t negate the volume control.

But if you have some documentation in writing which disproves what has been a common understanding for over 50 years, please post it.

The thing is no one has tested this. Everyone just plugs their DAP into an amp with a volume control and says it sounds fine. I myself have tested it both ways and it’s way better going to a DAC with the Walkmans.

We have never had a post where the owner plugged his Walkman into a DAC then went line-level to an amp with a volume control, but said that going straight into the amp with the volume control using a 3.5mm to RCAX2 was better. No one has ever stated that they have done a comparison side by side.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #25,107 of 45,723
Hi Folks,
Just passing along that 1Z is available on great price (~ USD 1,950) from Jaben. I own the 1A and have now ordered the 1Z from them as the price is really attractive. I think this sale may be just for few more hours ??

Once I get the 1Z, my 1A will be avilable for sale. It is in perfect condition and has 390 hours of pay time on the unit. Mostly on 4.4 balanced out.

https://jaben-the-little-headphone-store.myshopify.com

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #25,108 of 45,723
What is very interesting for me with all these photos are the forgotten basic laws of audio installation revealed on many of them:

mechanical isolation, electromagnetic shielding and filtering, room treatment; without that any system is way under his audio delivering quality potential....Then I advise reading about that...I wish someone has said that to me 7 years ago...But now I know, and I dont plan any future upgrade....:ksc75smile: 7 years ago I would have been envious of some of the pricier gear in these photos...But a good system rightfully installed dissipate all upgrading rage...

Hi Folks,
Just passing along that 1Z is available on great price (~ USD 1,950) from Jaben. I own the 1A and have now ordered the 1Z from them as the price is really attractive. I think this sale may be just for few more hours ??

Once I get the 1Z, my 1A will be avilable for sale. It is in perfect condition and has 390 hours of pay time on the unit. Mostly on 4.4 balanced out.

https://jaben-the-little-headphone-store.myshopify.com

Looks like it’s already back up to $2700?

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #25,110 of 45,723
The DAP has a volume thus two volume controls, that’s why the Walkmans sound better going to a DAC then to an amp with volume control. These at least have been my findings. They simply loose the great quality they have with 2 volume controls. If they had line out like the old Walkmans we would be fine, but they don’t. 100% volume doesn’t negate the volume control.

But if you have some documentation in writing which disproves what has been a common understanding for over 50 years, please post it.

The thing is no one has tested this. Everyone just plugs their DAP into an amp with a volume control and says it sounds fine. I myself have tested it both ways and it’s way better going to a DAC with the Walkmans.

We have never had a post where the owner plugged his Walkman into a DAC then went line-level to an amp with a volume control, but said that going straight into the amp with the volume control using a 3.5mm to RCAX2 was better. No one has ever stated that they have done a comparison side by side.

That does not really prove anything as you are then comparing the sound of the WM dac and amp to the sound of a completely different dac so there is no way you can say the sound difference is just a result of double amping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back