SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #21,691 of 45,723
Hello,

I have Oppo PM1 and PM3 and am looking into buying Sony NW-WM1A. Since you also have the whole package pls advise if you are happy with battery life of WM1A and most importantly does it have enough power to drive PM1 and PM3 through none-balanced 3.5mm?

Positive/negatives of Sony NW-WM1A + Oppp PM1/3 coupling?

Thanka
YES!

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #21,692 of 45,723
It took me a while, but I got all my artwork perfect now and everything looks beautiful.
I still have a few albums with 'missing' artwork here and there. Does that involve resizing the album art to a more acceptable resolution?

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #21,693 of 45,723
I still have a few albums with 'missing' artwork here and there. Does that involve resizing the album art to a more acceptable resolution?

Your missing art is probably progressive jpg but the WM players only accept baseline jpg

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #21,694 of 45,723
So there is certainly something fishy with the US Support of the WM1A...

I have an NW-WM1A thats about 18 months old. As some of you know, it locked up while creating the database and I had to power it off and on again. Its almost certainly just a software problem.

Its stuck in a continual reboot look - it powers on, I see the logo and then the "wavy lines" for around 45 seconds, and it reboots again.

I called Sony multiple times this last few days and they informed me of a few things:

1... Under warrantee your unit is simply swapped out for a new unit... however they have no actual units available for this.
2... If you are not under warrantee there is a company authorized in the US to do repairs: United Radio Service Inc. at 1-800-634-8606.
3... United Radio tells me that they have called Sony on this particular model and Sony was not willing/able to give them the main board programming software. As a result a WM1A is an "Unservicable item"
4... So right now my case has "been referred to upper management" @ Sony so we'll see what happens.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #21,695 of 45,723

I have an NW-WM1A thats about 18 months old. As some of you know, it locked up while creating the database and I had to power it off and on again. Its almost certainly just a software problem.

Its stuck in a continual reboot look - it powers on, I see the logo and then the "wavy lines" for around 45 seconds, and it reboots again.

I called Sony multiple times this last few days and they informed me of a few things:

1... Under warrantee your unit is simply swapped out for a new unit... however they have no actual units available for this.
2... If you are not under warrantee there is a company authorized in the US to do repairs: United Radio Service Inc. at 1-800-634-8606.
3... United Radio tells me that they have called Sony on this particular model and Sony was not willing/able to give them the main board programming software. As a result a WM1A is an "Unservicable item"
4... So right now my case has "been referred to upper management" @ Sony so we'll see what happens.

I had this issue in the past. I connected it to my Mac (it did not mount on the desktop) and I ran the older fw update. After several attempts it worked and the player booted normally. Good luck!

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #21,697 of 45,723

So that is certainly not a good sequence of events! Hope you have a good resolution to this problem. Please let us know how this progresses. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with the 1Z? I presume the software is the same, though fortunately I haven't had any problems with the 1Z. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #21,698 of 45,723
perhaps ask for a WM1Z since wm1a is out of stock ? or do some noise if they fail to help you as they should

good luck , this is a bummer so hopefully all ends well soon

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #21,700 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #21,702 of 45,723
Still working on getting all my albums sorted. I have around 1000 songs that lost their way when I transferred over.

If you came from iTunes the art might not be in the files at all but in iTunes own art database

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #21,703 of 45,723
Jul 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #21,704 of 45,723
FYI, what you have for the service manual is only page 3. If you need it I have the complete manual v1.0.

Oh I hadn’t noticed that. Yes please I’d like the complete manual

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #21,705 of 45,723
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back