1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. proedros
    wm1a battery is like the Arnold Scwarzenegger of dap batteries, bro

if you ain't happy with the wm1a battery , then you aint happy with no dap battery

cheers

teknorob23, Quadfather and Hanafuda like this.
  2. Redcarmoose
    012BC340-D697-4580-BD41-43A20ED31073.jpeg

Mizukage, kubig123 and proedros like this.
  3. Teppka
    There was one review on Amazon claiming the amp is underpowered, which made me wander

4. nc8000 Contributor
    I have not heard it but since the PM3 was designed to be used with smartphones and the like I would expect the WM to drive it fine.

My 1Z (although on balanced) was even able to drive the HE-6 well enough to be enjoyed though clearly not anywhere near it’s full potential

5. Teppka
    Not really. My Galaxy Note 8 can't bring the volume even close to an acceptable level. Oppo HA-2SE is able to drive both PM3 and PM1. Onkyo DP-X1A is kinda close on unbalanced but I need to listen at about 150 (out of 160) on high gain.

6. Whitigir
    There is loudness and then there is loudness with finesses. They are 2 different things

7. nc8000 Contributor
    Well desired loudness is an individual thing so I can’t say if it will be loud enough for you. There have been people in this thread who drive their headphones from the WM in low gain and a volume between 1 and 5 and say that is too loud where I can barely hear sound at that setting.

Also you really need to go balanced to get the best from the WM

8. ltanasom
    totally agree

proedros likes this.
  9. Quadfather
    I agree as well.

proedros likes this.
  10. Quadfather
    I am really surprised at how good the Nighthawks sound on single-ended from my Sony NW - WM1A.

11. Hanafuda
    The unbalanced side, depending on your priorities yeah it could be seen to be. The balanced output is where it's at on the WM1A/Z - I think for most of us using these DAPs, the unbalanced jack is there for the same reason they keep 'legacy' ports on PC's for some time after they go out of mainstream use. Almost 5x as much output power from the balanced output, with no appreciable battery life deficit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AeroSatan likes this.
  12. gerelmx1986
    With this WM1A i no longer mourn the death of my iPod classic :D

Quadfather likes this.
  13. Quadfather
    It took me a while, but I got all my artwork perfect now and everything looks beautiful. All of my albums are under their respective artist folders. I don't even remotely miss my iPod.

kubig123 and Aslshark like this.
  14. Redcarmoose
    One must question which firmware was used for the review. Firmware 2.0 was a considerable boost in power.

Hanafuda likes this.
  15. nc8000 Contributor
    Also if the reviewed sample was an EU volume capped unit that hadn’t been rockboxed

Hanafuda likes this.