SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #11,027 of 15,711
r all digital out signal the same quality, from different dap?
I just tried my Dragonfly Cobalt on my AM2 for the first time. Updated UAPP first then back to Airplane mode. UAPP recently supports the A306 and ZX707, but I think Davy is still frustrated with the WM1's. Had trouble accessing hardware volume control. Couldn't get playback in UAPP. Could in Walkman app and strangely the volume buttons would work only after opening UAPP (has a similar experience testing Bluetooth for 5 min last year). Didn't sound bad. Compared to straight out of 3.5mm I preferred the Dragonfly. But, trying the Dragonfly from my phone (LG G8) it sounded better. Seemingly same amount of power (hoping for more from the WM), but clearly more correct from the LG. I don't know what I'm doing trying a dongle on a DAP, and have no useful information to share (sorry). So far my most successful line out from the Walkman has been low gain 120/120 from balanced to an Art Cleanbox Pro converted to unbalanced, with it's own volume control. Sounds Unbelievable.

Today I learned that Dragonflies are not for Walkman's :)

Edit: The reason volume control via BT/USB matters to me is my Minirig speakers are locked at max volume for better and worse. They have low and high gain, but no control. Source dependent.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #11,028 of 15,711
If anybody is interested in an edition X and stock modules + a special modified module (discrete input stage by Burson and discrete output by Ibasso on amp11 OG), please send me a PM. Will be staying with original and 300 for now. Gotta move on with some projects

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #11,029 of 15,711
dIt is worthwhile, and 88% is perfectly normal. My ZX507 is charged up to 90, so is my WM1A M1 AND shows 90 as well.

It is worthwhile, and 88% is perfectly normal. My ZX507 is charged up to 90, so is my WM1A M1 AND shows 90 as well.
I returned home from a trip. My WM1A M1 doesn't show % for the battery. I forgot it only shows 3 bars for the battery display. I confirmed I have battery care on and the it does indeed display "full" when the battery is charged. So would the "full" in my case mean +/-90% but it displays full or am I getting a 100% charge even with the battery care on?

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #11,030 of 15,711
I sold my WM1A and got a Japanese WM1AM2. First impressions is that the OG has better build quality and feels more substantial compared to the M2. Sound-wise I don't feel there is a major difference. It would be nice to have the option to run the M2 as a pure player running only the W app. Fiio has this function in their DAPs.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #11,031 of 15,711
I returned home from a trip. My WM1A M1 doesn't show % for the battery. I forgot it only shows 3 bars for the battery display. I confirmed I have battery care on and the it does indeed display "full" when the battery is charged. So would the "full" in my case mean +/-90% but it displays full or am I getting a 100% charge even with the battery care on?

Full with battery care means 90%.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #11,032 of 15,711
Full with battery care means 90%.
Got it and was pretty sure that was the case. I guess the bottom line is that I mentally prefer the battery to show "full" even though it's charged to only 90% vs the M2 that only shows 88% max when full while running battery care. I know it's entirely a mental thing so I'm sure I'll get over it. :)

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #11,033 of 15,711
I sold my WM1A and got a Japanese WM1AM2. First impressions is that the OG has better build quality and feels more substantial compared to the M2. Sound-wise I don't feel there is a major difference. It would be nice to have the option to run the M2 as a pure player running only the W app. Fiio has this function in their DAPs.
I had the WM1 but I returned it because it wasn't that much better than the ZX300 that I already had (it was better though but not by a massive margin). I tried to buy the AM2 via FromJapan but they cancelled because they ran out of stock.

Not sure whether to buy a ZX707 or just not buy any of the current generation at all.

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #11,035 of 15,711
So, on the M2, when battery care it's on, it will charge to 88% and it will show 88% on the top right. Got it.

When charging from an outlet plug and usb c cable, will the M2 stop charging at 88% by itself or do you have to disconnect it? TIA

It stops by itself. It's always the device which draws the current it needs fron the charger, so the device can choose to stop drawing current.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #11,037 of 15,711
I had the WM1 but I returned it because it wasn't that much better than the ZX300 that I already had (it was better though but not by a massive margin). I tried to buy the AM2 via FromJapan but they cancelled because they ran out of stock.

Not sure whether to buy a ZX707 or just not buy any of the current generation at all.
I tried both the 707 and the wm1aM2 next to each other and for me there are 3 key differences. The M2 is more powerful by 10 decimals in the volume when matched. The battery in the 707 is noticeably lower capacity. Tested them both for one hour and the 707 lost double the battery charge. Internal storage is greater on the WM1aM2 and that’s about it. Also the 707 felt slightly faster but the M2 is not slow by any stretch. Many say the M2 sounds better. I heard zero difference when level matched.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #11,040 of 15,711
Sony Ier-Z1R.

If you like the 707 then I would recommend to try the 507 as well. I prefer the 507 over the 707 SQ wise, not to say the much more pleasing aesthetics and a more pocketable footprint.

The Z1R is actually very accomodating to different sources, not the best option to test out DAPS IMHO but if that's your main iem then of course it makes sense to test players with them.

I refer to my post a few pages back where I coincidentally had remarked on that...........I love my Z1R but never used it to test out gear since it is so lenient and accomodating with very consistent results obtained out of different devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back