SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 28, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #11,041 of 15,987
Sony Ier-Z1R.
Even though i use and love them... i don't think they are good enough to pick amps apart.

It is possible, but it needs quite some traning. You really have to know your songs and know where to listen to what and so on.

Its not impossible, but if you're not trained to do so, it is very hard. There are much better choices for that usecase.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #11,042 of 15,987
Even though i use and love them... i don't think they are good enough to pick amps apart.
Then jolly good. My hobby is listening and not testing. Looks like the Z1R are ideal then as amp agnostic IEMs with extraordinary sound. Just out of curiosity. What are you using to test gear?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #11,044 of 15,987
Then jolly good. My hobby is listening and not testing. Looks like the Z1R are ideal then as amp agnostic IEMs with extraordinary sound. Just out of curiosity. What are you using to test gear?
Absoluely. The IER-Z1R is not very source dependend. So if you find something that sounds good, just be fine. I do the same.

With the IER-M9 (which is my main and goto IEM), the source plays a big role. You instantly hear the difference between an ZX, WM1, DMP-Z1, TA-ZH1ES and other amps.

But the IER-M9 is an professional 5-way, 5-BA IEM while the IER-Z1R is an made for listening 3-way, 2-DD+1-BA In-Ear. So it is to be expected, that the IER-M9 is better at this

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #11,047 of 15,987
WM1s are on secret sale with _big_ rebates (not kidding)
1680013159086.png

1680013203314.png

https://www.e-earphone.jp/product/s...search_type=0&orderby=4&sale=07376940#wrapper

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #11,048 of 15,987
Im experiencing some stuttering. Mainly on tidal and spotify, both online and offline.

Local files seems ok.

Is this common? Firmware issue?

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #11,050 of 15,987
I meant why you can hear a difference in amps with the M9 and not with the Z1R.
Ah, i thought i explained it in the original post.

First of all, i can. It takes some time to be able to do that but its possible. But its not as easy and clear as with the IER-M9.

The IER-M9 is an 5-way 5-BA IEM while the IER-Z1R is an 3-way 2-DD 1-BA Listening In-Ear.

The IER-M9 has better drivers and, in addition to that, a tuning that allows to hear such things much better. It has an more neutral Tuning with much more midrange and a more linear treble with no peaks/dips.

The IER-Z1R is designed to sound big and wow and fun and clear and detailed. while the IER-M9 is designed to sound as accurate and authentic/realistic as possible. So the tuning alone already helps and an 5-BA soft-crossover Setup contributes to that.

Also it is an isolating In-Ear which means you hear much less (if at all) outside noise.

Its the Job of the IER-M9 to be good enough to detect minor differences in sound, that is what i was made for to begin with.

Most people think the IER-Z1R has more detailed because it has a more pushed treble and less lower mids, but most people confuse pushed frequencies with the actual amount/quality of details. Most instruments have most of their information in the mids. If you lower the mids and push the treble, you will hear some details easier you're not used to, but you have less details in summary. It is easier to concentrate and focus on what is there because there is less in total.

That doesn't mean the IER-Z1R is bad, not at all. Its almost perfect in exactly what it does, but what it does is not delivering an meticulously monitoring sound

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #11,051 of 15,987
Ah, i thought i explained it in the original post.
thanks for the explanation. Since you seem to be a Sony expert do you know why the M2 doesn’t make the clicking mechanical sounds when you plug in the 4.4mm? I remember the WM1A making these sounds when plugging headphones.

Edit: ignore the above. I can hear the click but it’s much quieter than the WM1A

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #11,053 of 15,987
What are you guys using to create playlists either on PC/Windows or iMac?
would also love to hear this. haven't found an efficient way to make playlists

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #11,054 of 15,987
Sorry for my excessive sometimes needless posting. I'm ready to admit I'm addicted to Head-Fi. If I can't control my consumption (and it seems I can't - I was supposed to get Honeydew's), then I only see two possibilities: I quit Head-Fi, or get the ZM2 then MDR-Z1R and a cable, and another Swissbit (YES!), and find a blue patina (AJ sold out).

I'll post some pics in four months :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back