SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #8,761 of 15,524
By the way, Sony going to release new products on Jan 4th at CES 2023, upgraders might better hold off for few weeks to see what's coming soon.
ZX707 - inferior to ZM2/AM2 for sure. Sony are experts at gimping their mid tier offerings to offer clear upgrade path.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #8,762 of 15,524
It hisses out of 3.5mm with andromeda, it's usable though. Even more hiss out of 4.4mm.. M9/M7 have no hiss - they're not sensitive though, they never hiss out of any source. Hiby RS6 has a lot less hiss.
uh oh.. my 4ba iem is similar in sensitivity to the solaris, which is similar to the andromedas :frowning2: guess i'll be risking some hiss if i go for the sony.

it surprises me that it hisses considering it's power output

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #8,763 of 15,524
uh oh.. my 4ba iem is similar in sensitivity to the solaris, which is similar to the andromedas :frowning2: guess i'll be risking some hiss if i go for the sony.

it surprises me that it hisses considering it's power output
Zx507 out of the 3.5mm has lot less hiss with Andro, but it’s sound quality is worse in general. Sony typically are hissy with sensitive iems

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #8,764 of 15,524
Don’t worry, all of these matters will lead you right back to understand more about the systems being implemented by Walkman and the engineers. It takes a lot of reading and doing research to really understand. Therefore, these followings are for people who want to know more about digital conversions.

So, here is a thread of people DIY project that is using USB receiver interfaces, and directly feeding it toward a Low Pass a filter network, in this case a line-transformers (Walkman has Inductor coils and dampening networks).

This project is called “No DAC”, and I am going to explain why/how.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-best-dac-is-no-dac.273474/

*****All digital processing, conversions, regardless of whether it is being NOS (non over sampling) or OS (Over Sampling), they are a ladder from multi-bit 16-24-32 bits into gradually down to 1 bit stream. This one bit stream will then be fed toward 2 kinds of Filters (Low pass and High pass filters). These filters can be in several implementations, Resistors/capacitors network, inductor coils and resistor, capacitors, or it can also be an op-amps as a low pass filters. But all of them are operating under the same basic principle.

Now, since we got over this. How exactly did the build above become functional ? Pretty easy

1/ a built PC that runs any of the programs that can do PCM to DSD on the fly.
2/ any USB interfaces that has DSD output
3/ follow simple engineering and scope devices to achieve the desires square waves from the input to feed an inductors or transformers. This is low pass filter, and it will give you analog music

So, did I mention #1 as a conversion from PCM to DSD on the fly by the PC ? That is correct. Because if you were simply using PCM function, there is no digital conversion happening. It means that you need to feed these information toward any external DAC that is Capable of conversion PCM. How does this conversion happen ? By applying ***** as stated above. However, with a differences that depends on the DAC, what is it low pass filters ? Most IC Chips you encounter on the market such as ESS9038Pro requires to have an external Low Pass Filter networks that consisting of Active Op-Amps, and feedback networks with bypass, and coupling capacitors to give you analog signals out . This is called Active Low pass filter implementations
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/video-tutorials/op-amps-low-pass-and-high-pass-active-filters/

picture show ROHM DAC with recommended implementations from datasheets , red circle is Active Low pass filters that is together with differential and line buffer stage
77A94AE0-AC25-4B61-9621-E430882CE804.jpeg
Back to that “No DAC” project. The saddest Part is that PC and all of it engineerings are involving DC and not much into AC. Noises doesn’t really degrade it the way that it does to Digital to analog signals. So, by using a PC this way (a sigma delta DAC), it isn’t optimized. It does show case the result of all PCM is going to be 1 bit stream of DSD in the end, before it is all fed into LPF and come out analog
Hi whitgir:

I'm a little confused. My LCD 2C sounds excellent out of my Sony A1000 DAP. This is Sony's first high end DAP based on Android... I think only 50mw per channel..
Kind of strange, but good never the less.
👍
Audeze recommends 250mw... I set max volume to 70% and it's more than loud enough.. There also seem to be little distortion, at least what I can detect.
You're an excellent Analog Engineer, so just asking does this seem weird?? 😃

Dec 19, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #8,767 of 15,524
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #8,770 of 15,524
Some people are more sensitive to hiss than others I think age has something to do with this.

I'm a cantankerous old bloke so no hiss for me either. :)
I think it is also related to how your mind is conscious and in attention of the existence or absence of the sound element. Some people are very conscious of the air-con noise or the whirling fan noise from the laptop/pc while others do not notice such noises. Same for gpu coil whine sounds or the faint buzzing of electronic circuits.

Likewise in audiophile circles, some people are very much affected by slight sibilant sounds.

it took me quite a while to notice the effects of jitter but once I heard it, it is very part of the “curse” I have.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #8,772 of 15,524
I think it is also related to how your mind is conscious and in attention of the existence or absence of the sound element. Some people are very conscious of the air-con noise or the whirling fan noise from the laptop/pc while others do not notice such noises. Same for gpu coil whine sounds or the faint buzzing of electronic circuits.

Likewise in audiophile circles, some people are very much affected by slight sibilant sounds.

it took me quite a while to notice the effects of jitter but once I heard it, it is very part of the “curse” I have.

UAPP Support NW-WM1ZM2 ??I want to buy this software.

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #8,774 of 15,524
This little guy works flawlessly :beerchug:
Highly recommend this guy, especially those who use an external amp that the walkman position is limited by IC cable, beside the music navigation functions, just hold the backward or forward button to turn on/off the screen :beyersmile:

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #8,775 of 15,524
Just curious, some of you have this DAP for use only at home? or you buy it because you out of home a lot? What's your main use for this DAP?

I NEVER go out of my home with any player, not on the days of the walkman, no on the days on the discman, and not on the days of the DAPs

But!!! maybe a silly idea but I like the idea of have this and all the formats that can play. I have a lot CDs and SACDs to rip, I don't care too much about streaming.

Also is possible connect this DAP to speakers? to avoid buy an amp/cd/sacd player? I was thinking buy the Cambridge Audio AXA35 amp and other CD player etc. but I like the idea that this DAP can be use it for play in my bedroom with headphones or in my living room with speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back