SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #8,731 of 15,612
I think I may eventually find myself using DSD remastering. But I find 100hours of burn in at 8hours a charge a bit of a hurdle. I'm still in blissful discovery mode with my IER-Z1R's with Kimber at 115hours. Perhaps after 300, I'll start the DSD burn.
Since you are using the swissbit microSD like I am, you can really further improve the already exceptional soundstage depth and width and noisefloor on the swissbit while using DSD Remastering mode if you follow these specific recommendations:

Disable Google Play Services and Google Play Store (this further improves sound stage depth). You can manually re-enable these two apps if you need to do any kind of periodic App Store updates.

Disable Sony headphone App, switch off high res streaming mode (this removes the frequency attenuation and phase alterations caused by HRTF and Spatial Sound Processing, which does not sound as great with dsd mode)

DSD Filtering Mode Sharp Roll Off (this increases sound soundstage width perception)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #8,732 of 15,612
DO NOT USE A 9V, 15V, etc charger. These are the wrong voltages, and may fry the Sony. The charger for the Sony (and most modern devices), is a 5V charger, and I am sure that this is in the Sony specs. Do not confuse the higher voltages that you see mentioned in the charger specs that are related to either QC (Qualcomm Quick Charge) or PD (Power Delivery) standards implemented on the charger.
- QC and PD are both functions that need to be built into the charger, and the device being charged. These will allow the charger and the device being charged, to handshake with each other, and negotiate the voltage/current to be used for charging. A modern 5V charger will start off at 5V, and then handshake with the device being charged to see if it has either PD or QC. If the device answers either query, then the Voltage will be set at both ends, and the charger will switch to either QC or PD and continue charging. Higher voltages are used for higher current, as this is more efficient, and creates less heat. As the current requirement drops, the voltage will be adjusted lower, automatically.

Recommendations:
- Only use a 5V charger, that has QC and/or PD capability. Most modern chargers will have both. The device being charged, and the charger, will negotiate the voltage to be used, or it will default to 5V
- Use a high current charger. The higher current charger is engineered to higher standards, will have more current reserve, and will run cooler. GaN chargers are preferable, as they are more efficient, and run cooler. The current will automatically be adjusted by the charger, as the device only gets as much current as it's charge circuit asks for. A high current charger will not overload the device being charged, as a charger does not "push" current to the device. The device being charged "pulls" whatever current it needs from the charger. The charger functions as a reservoir, so you want a good quality, high current reservoir. A 65W or higher charger is good for general usage.
- a PC is mentioned for charging, as that is readily available, in case the user does not have any other charger. A PC USB 2.0 port will limit the current to 0.5 Amp, so will take a long time to charge. Plus if the PC goes to sleep, may shut off the charging. The PC is an alternative option, and is not the best option.

In summary, the most convenient/best charger for the Sony, and other devices, is a high current (65W or higher) multiple port charger. As the PD standard is optimized for USB C, get chargers with USB C output, QC & PD capable.
A low current charger can overheat and fail, when trying to output current that they are not capable of, and generate voltages that can damage the device being charged, so I stay away from low current chargers. All modern chargers are inverter devices, which operate at very high voltages, so have the capability to output damaging voltages if they fail. It is for this reason that Apple did a recall, and offered to replace non Apple chargers with Apple chargers.

Get cables that are USB C, and PD rated just to be sure, as none PD rated cables may, or may not be able to charge using the PD standard.
And it is very important to pay more, and get high quality chargers. DO NOT GET CHEAP, LOW QUALITY CHARGERS. This would be a false economy if they fry the device being charged.
I always charge my audio equipment with a battery bank from Energizer (5V/2A maximum) since I do not need to fast charge them, and they will be stopped charging automatically when reach a certain value

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #8,733 of 15,612
This little guy works flawlessly :beerchug:

Attachments

• 1671329910622.png
    1671329910622.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #8,734 of 15,612
If you are looking for a high quality charger, I recommend the Sony Xperia usb-c pd charger. It has the least amount of AC hum noise, 2nd being Apple and 3rd being Anker(still low noise), with the most noisy being Aukey(avoid this).
Hi @Sonywalkmanuser
I found on Sony's website 2 Xperia chargers, as follows:
1) https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/accessories/uch32c/specifications
2) https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/accessories/xqz-uc1/specifications

Are these 2 equally good and fit for purpose?

Once again thanks fo your kind advice.

Best

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #8,735 of 15,612
DO NOT USE A 9V, 15V, etc charger. These are the wrong voltages, and may fry the Sony. The charger for the Sony (and most modern devices), is a 5V charger, and I am sure that this is in the Sony specs. Do not confuse the higher voltages that you see mentioned in the charger specs that are related to either QC (Qualcomm Quick Charge) or PD (Power Delivery) standards implemented on the charger.
- QC and PD are both functions that need to be built into the charger, and the device being charged. These will allow the charger and the device being charged, to handshake with each other, and negotiate the voltage/current to be used for charging. A modern 5V charger will start off at 5V, and then handshake with the device being charged to see if it has either PD or QC. If the device answers either query, then the Voltage will be set at both ends, and the charger will switch to either QC or PD and continue charging. Higher voltages are used for higher current, as this is more efficient, and creates less heat. As the current requirement drops, the voltage will be adjusted lower, automatically.

Recommendations:
- Only use a 5V charger, that has QC and/or PD capability. Most modern chargers will have both. The device being charged, and the charger, will negotiate the voltage to be used, or it will default to 5V
- Use a high current charger. The higher current charger is engineered to higher standards, will have more current reserve, and will run cooler. GaN chargers are preferable, as they are more efficient, and run cooler. The current will automatically be adjusted by the charger, as the device only gets as much current as it's charge circuit asks for. A high current charger will not overload the device being charged, as a charger does not "push" current to the device. The device being charged "pulls" whatever current it needs from the charger. The charger functions as a reservoir, so you want a good quality, high current reservoir. A 65W or higher charger is good for general usage.
- a PC is mentioned for charging, as that is readily available, in case the user does not have any other charger. A PC USB 2.0 port will limit the current to 0.5 Amp, so will take a long time to charge. Plus if the PC goes to sleep, may shut off the charging. The PC is an alternative option, and is not the best option.

In summary, the most convenient/best charger for the Sony, and other devices, is a high current (65W or higher) multiple port charger. As the PD standard is optimized for USB C, get chargers with USB C output, QC & PD capable.
A low current charger can overheat and fail, when trying to output current that they are not capable of, and generate voltages that can damage the device being charged, so I stay away from low current chargers. All modern chargers are inverter devices, which operate at very high voltages, so have the capability to output damaging voltages if they fail. It is for this reason that Apple did a recall, and offered to replace non Apple chargers with Apple chargers.

Get cables that are USB C, and PD rated just to be sure, as none PD rated cables may, or may not be able to charge using the PD standard.
And it is very important to pay more, and get high quality chargers. DO NOT GET CHEAP, LOW QUALITY CHARGERS. This would be a false economy if they fry the device being charged.
Hello @ttt123
Thanks for the detailed explanation and helps a lot to expand my knowledge.
I have the following charger (pics attached with the spec too) and would like to know if this is one that's good to use and fit for purpose.

Many thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 10.35.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 10.35.10 AM.png
    550.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 10.31.42 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 10.31.42 AM.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #8,736 of 15,612
Hi @Sonywalkmanuser
I found on Sony's website 2 Xperia chargers, as follows:
1) https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/accessories/uch32c/specifications
2) https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/accessories/xqz-uc1/specifications

Are these 2 equally good and fit for purpose?

Once again thanks fo your kind advice.

Best
I think the second one supports more newer charging standards but both will be good enough for the Walkman.

I think your current anker is fine for the Walkman also. I won’t recommend to spend the extra to get the Sony charger unless you are in need of another charging port.

The most important thing is to buy a high quality smart charger. Chargers really varies in safety and quality with some of them not having any kind of overcharging protection or inadequate protections that can result in damaged equipment or even fire.

Quality chargers like Sony have choke filters to block out emi noise from the wall plugs and other surge suppressing safety functions:

Anker is also similarly well designed:

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #8,737 of 15,612
I think the second one supports more newer charging standards but both will be good enough for the Walkman.

I think your current anker is fine for the Walkman also. I won’t recommend to spend the extra to get the Sony charger unless you are in need of another charging port.

The most important thing is to buy a high quality smart charger. Chargers really varies in safety and quality with some of them not having any kind of overcharging protection or inadequate protections that can result in damaged equipment or even fire.

Quality chargers like Sony have choke filters to block out emi noise from the wall plugs and other surge suppressing safety functions:

Anker is also similarly well designed:

@Sonywalkmanuser
Many thanks for your kind advice ..

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #8,738 of 15,612
I can recommend this album for those who really want to critically compare the performance of your various audio equipment:
Sliver Lining Suite by Hiromi

Its available for purchase on Qobuz as 24bit 192KHz Flac

Of which the track titled 11:49PM is the exceptional piece.

The recording and mastering is really excellent. It has a very wide dynamic range and has a lot of acoustical information.

It will better reveal to you, the equipment’s ability to present musicality in terms of timbre, soundstage depth, width and height, piano decay(and other really soft sounds) and string instruments fluidity.

@Xinlisupreme & @Lépine maybe you should consider my recommendation on using this album to compare your various daps.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #8,739 of 15,612
Hello @ttt123
Thanks for the detailed explanation and helps a lot to expand my knowledge.
I have the following charger (pics attached with the spec too) and would like to know if this is one that's good to use and fit for purpose.

Many thanks for your advice.
Looks fine. It looks like Anker's PowerIQ was developed to handle multiple charging standards, so they do not specify PD, QC, etc., but they handle it. Do not know why they do not mention they are compatible with QC, PD, etc. It may be a licensing issue.

https://www.dignited.com/70202/anke...e-vs-power-delivery-what-are-the-differences/

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #8,740 of 15,612
I can recommend this album for those who really want to critically compare the performance of your various audio equipment:
Sliver Lining Suite by Hiromi

Its available for purchase on Qobuz as 24bit 192KHz Flac

Of which the track titled 11:49PM is the exceptional piece.

The recording and mastering is really excellent. It has a very wide dynamic range and has a lot of acoustical information.

It will better reveal to you, the equipment’s ability to present musicality in terms of timbre, soundstage depth, width and height, piano decay(and other really soft sounds) and string instruments fluidity.

@Xinlisupreme & @Lépine maybe you should consider my recommendation on using this album to compare your various daps.

I have been leaving on my Sony and letting it just run through my libraries. I have hit the 48th hour and the 1ZM2 has made a good level of improvements. It is hitting notes harder and much of the initial dullness has improved into a much more open presentation. This is very good level of improvement.

Thank you for the music selection. I will try it out.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #8,741 of 15,612
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #8,742 of 15,612
I have been leaving on my Sony and letting it just run through my libraries. I have hit the 48th hour and the 1ZM2 has made a good level of improvements. It is hitting notes harder and much of the initial dullness has improved into a much more open presentation. This is very good level of improvement.

Thank you for the music selection. I will try it out.
From my experience with burning in ZX2, ZX507 and WM1AM2, the burn in process will show improvement stages about every 50hours. Meaning at 100hours, you can notice another type of improvement added to the sound and additional changes at 150hours.

The level of very noticeable changes will start to peak around 150hours and as it progresses towards 200hours, it will show lesser and lesser changes.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #8,744 of 15,612
just got a focal clear og pair with wm1am2, do u think its enough power for the headphone? running 4.4 balance high gain is at 250mw .. sufficient? thk
Focal clear og is rated at 104db/1mw at 55ohms so you should be fine:

In addition, Hiroaki Sato said that NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 are suitable for Sony's in-ear and earcup headphones, including Just Ear, with excellent performance. If you are originally used to be a user of Sony headphones, please feel free to use it. If it is Non-Sony-branded headphones. He personally recommends that products with impedance of less than 80 ohms and more than 100dB will perform well. If it is a high impedance and low-sensitivity product, the performance of DMP-Z1 may be better.

https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122/amp

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #8,745 of 15,612
Focal clear og is rated at 104db/1mw at 55ohms so you should be fine:

In addition, Hiroaki Sato said that NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 are suitable for Sony's in-ear and earcup headphones, including Just Ear, with excellent performance. If you are originally used to be a user of Sony headphones, please feel free to use it. If it is Non-Sony-branded headphones. He personally recommends that products with impedance of less than 80 ohms and more than 100dB will perform well. If it is a high impedance and low-sensitivity product, the performance of DMP-Z1 may be better.

https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122/amp
great ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back