SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #8,776 of 15,612
Just curious, some of you have this DAP for use only at home? or you buy it because you out of home a lot? What's your main use for this DAP?

I NEVER go out of my home with any player, not on the days of the walkman, no on the days on the discman, and not on the days of the DAPs

But!!! maybe a silly idea but I like the idea of have this and all the formats that can play. I have a lot CDs and SACDs to rip, I don't care too much about streaming.

Also is possible connect this DAP to speakers? to avoid buy an amp/cd/sacd player? I was thinking buy the Cambridge Audio AXA35 amp and other CD player etc. but I like the idea that this DAP can be use it for play in my bedroom with headphones or in my living room with speakers.
I use the walkman as my main source, and I bring it to almost where I need music: home, office, coffee shop, ... Depending on gear (Iems, headphones) I use the walkman standalone or with an external amp (both portable and desktop amps).
So I think the walkman can be good for your use case, especially when you only use for offline, this player has the longest playing time in the market ~2x-3x hours. Just connect the walkman to an external amp and connect to your speakers, don't forget to connect the ground on 3.5mm too

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #8,777 of 15,612
I use the walkman as my main source, and I bring it to almost where I need music: home, office, coffee shop, ... Depending on gear (Iems, headphones) I use the walkman standalone or with an external amp (both portable and desktop amps).
So I think the walkman can be good for your use case, especially when you only use for offline, this player has the longest playing time in the market ~2x-3x hours. Just connect the walkman to an external amp and connect to your speakers, don't forget to connect the ground on 3.5mm too

Interesting. By the way the only downside is has a the battery (of course need a battery) but what happens when the battery gone? is possible replace it?

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #8,778 of 15,612
Interesting. By the way the only downside is has a the battery (of course need a battery) but what happens when the battery gone? is possible replace it?
I think it is possible to replace but assume that the battery will be died in 1000 charge cycles, if you use the walkman 8 hours per day through 365 days, you just charge your walkman ~100 times so you need 10 years to reach 1000 charge cycles. In fact, 1000 charge cycles on smartphones do not make the battery totally die, the capacity is just decreased to ~80%. One more comparison is that our smartphones work in a worse condition than players (temperature, do not have battery care feature that limit 80% charged, ...). Therefore, I think our walkman will not die (assume that we can not replace the battery :o2smile:) in at least 5 years with the worst working condition :beerchug:

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #8,779 of 15,612
I would highly recommend to switch on [sensors off] in the developer settings.

This will help to increase battery standby times and thus improve the overall operational lifespan of the battery as well.

The android OS is forever monitoring the accelerometer for automatic screen rotation during display on and during display off for other security, location tracking “purposes”. This is unnecessary for the Walkman as a music player, as you don’t really rotate the screen to view in landscape rather you will operate it in a fixed portrait mode.

And this probably will reduce the internal electrical circuitry noise as well. If you have golden ears enough to hear it.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #8,780 of 15,612
I think it is possible to replace but assume that the battery will be died in 1000 charge cycles, if you use the walkman 8 hours per day through 365 days, you just charge your walkman ~100 times so you need 10 years to reach 1000 charge cycles. In fact, 1000 charge cycles on smartphones do not make the battery totally die, the capacity is just decreased to ~80%. One more comparison is that our smartphones work in a worse condition than players (temperature, do not have battery care feature that limit 80% charged, ...). Therefore, I think our walkman will not die (assume that we can not replace the battery :o2smile:) in at least 5 years with the worst working condition :beerchug:
i think after 1, 2 yrs, you likely be sick of this dap and gotten a new one. So no need to worry about battery performance.

Looking at how many new dap/dac launched every year, how can we not be tempted to go for new item ... so realistically, you will nvr reach the maximum charge cycle.

owner of wm1am2 will likely have more dap/dac at home .... lol

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #8,781 of 15,612
i think after 1, 2 yrs, you likely be sick of this dap and gotten a new one. So no need to worry about battery performance.

Looking at how many new dap/dac launched every year, how can we not be tempted to go for new item ... so realistically, you will nvr reach the maximum charge cycle.

owner of wm1am2 will likely have more dap/dac at home .... lol
just a theoretical calculation to predict how the walkman could last. It is true that there are many new daps each year in the market but may not be true for Sony, and this prediction proves that we can use walkman without worrying about the battery lifespan :beerchug: . We also can find many old daps out there with poor battery ~4-5 hours playing and it is not easy to find a replacement for them.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #8,782 of 15,612
Looking at how many new dap/dac launched every year, how can we not be tempted to go for new item ...
Quantity does not necessarily equal to quality. It holds especially for a chi-fi crap disregarding its price bracket.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #8,783 of 15,612
Quantity does not necessarily equal to quality. It holds especially for a chi-fi crap disregarding its price bracket.
Well there are others who believe that chifi is better than Sony, because they think measurements and specs is the only determining factor in comparisons. Lol at them. It’s like buying a car based on rated horsepower and 0 to 60mph specs.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #8,784 of 15,612
Just curious, some of you have this DAP for use only at home? or you buy it because you out of home a lot? What's your main use for this DAP?

I NEVER go out of my home with any player, not on the days of the walkman, no on the days on the discman, and not on the days of the DAPs

But!!! maybe a silly idea but I like the idea of have this and all the formats that can play. I have a lot CDs and SACDs to rip, I don't care too much about streaming.

Also is possible connect this DAP to speakers? to avoid buy an amp/cd/sacd player? I was thinking buy the Cambridge Audio AXA35 amp and other CD player etc. but I like the idea that this DAP can be use it for play in my bedroom with headphones or in my living room with speakers.

I use purely indoors at home or work. I use my BTR5+earphones/mobile when out & about.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #8,786 of 15,612
I am very seriously considering purchasing a brand new WM1A M2. Being in the EU, my natural route for the usable, uncapped version is buying from the Japanese sellers on eBay. I know I will be on the hook for customs, etc., so the deals are not great.

But my question here is whether I can 100% trust that I am getting an authentic product. There a few Japanese sellers, all with perfect or near perfect feedback. Most have sold a large number of the unit per eBay, or at least several, yet have just 1 remaining "available". Should I be worried about anything here? Are there known fakes of this unit or units with issues or potential unloading of resealed b-stock?

Thanks for any advice or exprience sharing. I just want to play it safe to make sure I end up enjoying a true brand new unit.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #8,787 of 15,612
so far i have try many other brand of dap, ibasso, hiby, ak, ..... end up sony still the one I always unconscious use for long duration listening ... lol
Music enjoyment on the M2 Walkman is like fine dining from a well established Japanese restaurant. Everything is well considered. From the rich salty fermented soy sauce, to the well cut soft fatty salmon to the crispy fried shrimp to the gentle sting from the wasabi. Everything is well calibrated and executed by the master chef to provide for a variety of texture and flavors that elevates the food experience. We are talking about a higher level music enjoyment that cannot be represented by %thd, SNR, mW, ohm law, nyquist law or whatever measurement graphs shows.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #8,788 of 15,612
Music enjoyment on the M2 Walkman is like fine dining from a well established Japanese restaurant. Everything is well considered. From the rich salty fermented soy sauce, to the well cut soft fatty salmon to the crispy fried shrimp to the gentle sting from the wasabi. Everything is well calibrated and executed by the master chef to provide for a variety of texture and flavors that elevates the food experience. We are talking about a higher level music enjoyment that cannot be represented by %thd, SNR, mW, ohm law, nyquist law or whatever measurement graphs shows.
lol ... my english not so good .. u really write well ... lol

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #8,789 of 15,612
So what settings should I do to optimize the sound quality and listen to streaming.

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #8,790 of 15,612

Users who are viewing this thread

Back