SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 11, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #4,951 of 15,518
Quick question. Did Sony add DLNA/UPNP or SMB capability to the new Walkmans? I realize that I can use other apps such as UAPP, but would prefer to use the Sony Music app to stream from my network.
The Walkman app only plays local files afaik

Edit: just checked, only local files. So you need an app like VLC or whatever you like

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #4,952 of 15,518
That’s what one call 128GB/256GB ROM. ROM is something used to store music, os, photos, etc. RAM is usually smaller in size and that is the one affecting performance of device. In this case ram should be only affecting device UI performance and not audio. Both walkman sepcs are same other than storage capacity that is ROM.
just in case @KevP , if your ROM is near full, that might be the reason why. For "storage" the ideal is to keep 20% free (unused). In the case of 1AM2, you want to roughly keep 2.3GB of free space on the MAIN Storage.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,954 of 15,518
ROM= Read Only Memory

I assume you mean the flash memory.

Why is it ideal to keep 20%?

it will depend on device / OS etc but 20% is the rough number I use for most part so I don't have to remember this is that, that is this, etc. It may or may not cause performance issue cause there are other factors involved like how many files, folders, or more specifically, in that specific directory where you're trying to access..ie. if all your music is in one directory and sub directory, this will cause slow downs as it's trying to read/search multiple files at once. Also, not sure of Android, but back in like something like XP, NT days of Windows, the more directories deep dive you have to do, performance also tend to crap out too.

So i guess i should've been more specific
1) Try to keep 20% of storage space free - mainly for cached operation reason / fragmentation issue --- if you have larger files, the % can probably be a lot less, but we're dealing with MP3~flac most likely so the blocks are small per file, especially since it's repeatedly and rapidly reading the music file to play them
2) Do not have 1000s of files in one directory (note: FILES, not "directories", although i'm sure directories will affect if there are too many of that too---for me, i probably don't have over 200 lines in a single directory, especially since i categorize my stuff in Japanese so it looks something like JPN/JPOP/#よ(phonix)/@米津玄師(artistname)/Albumname/musicfiles)
3) Try not to make a Deep Directory dive structure (not sure of Android, but I believe Windows 10 and 11 has a limit of something like 512 letters for directories + file name together? i know that the Sony Music Center is even less with like 256 or so <i can be wrong with the numbers but you get the idea>)

If you're unsure, try factory resetting the device and store all your music in the SD card, while keeping #2 in mind (#1 should not be as important when it's on the SD Card, unless if you're running the system of the SD Card--still do not recommend to top if off, maybe try to keep 7~10% of free space at most) -- see if it performs better. If not, you might just have a faulty unit as it does happen no matter how good or bad is..it just happens.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #4,955 of 15,518
ROM= Read Only Memory

I assume you mean the flash memory.

Why is it ideal to keep 20%?
Android needs some free space to work. M1's on Walkman OS need next to nothing free as as the DAP's only serves a very singular purpose Google Android & ASOP has to take into the account security & app updates.

Q-6

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #4,956 of 15,518
Android needs roughly 200mb of free disk storage. More is recommended, but not necessary.

Windows 512 limit is from XP times and no longer Valid
it will depend on device / OS etc but 20% is the rough number I use for most part so I don't have to remember this is that, that is this, etc. It may or may not cause performance issue cause there are other factors involved like how many files, folders, or more specifically, in that specific directory where you're trying to access..ie. if all your music is in one directory and sub directory, this will cause slow downs as it's trying to read/search multiple files at once. Also, not sure of Android, but back in like something like XP, NT days of Windows, the more directories deep dive you have to do, performance also tend to crap out too.

1) Try to keep 20% of storage space free - mainly for cached operation reason / fragmentation issue --- if you have larger files, the % can probably be a lot less, but we're dealing with MP3~flac most likely so the blocks are small per file, especially since it's repeatedly and rapidly reading the music file to play them
2) Do not have 1000s of files in one directory (note: FILES, not "directories", although i'm sure directories will affect if there are too many of that too---for me, i probably don't have over 200 lines in a single directory, especially since i categorize my stuff in Japanese so it looks something like JPN/JPOP/#よ(phonix)/@米津玄師(artistname)/Albumname/musicfiles)
3) Try not to make a Deep Directory dive structure (not sure of Android, but I believe Windows 10 and 11 has a limit of something like 512 letters for directories + file name together? i know that the Sony Music Center is even less with like 256 or so <i can be wrong with the numbers but you get the idea>)

If you're unsure, try factory resetting the device and store all your music in the SD card, while keeping #2 in mind (#1 should not be as important when it's on the SD Card, unless if you're running the system of the SD Card--still do not recommend to top if off, maybe try to keep 7~10% of free space at most) -- see if it performs better. If not, you might just have a faulty unit as it does happen no matter how good or bad is..it just happens.
Android on the Walkman uses ext4

This supports 64000 sub directories per directory and 2 billion files in total.

The minimum amount of required free disk space for Android is 200mb, so that's 0.1% on the Z and 0.2% on the A

My smartphone is 99% full and still works properly without any speed impacts or other issues.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,957 of 15,518
Android needs some free space to work. M1's on Walkman OS need next to nothing free as as the DAP's only serves a very singular purpose Google Android & ASOP has to take into the account security & app updates.

Q-6
I remember the M1 also needed quite an fair amount is free disk space for updates.

But the last update had been a while :D

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #4,958 of 15,518
Android needs roughly 200mb of free disk storage. More is recommended, but not necessary.

Windows 512 limit is from XP times and no longer Valid

Android on the Walkman uses ext4

This supports 64000 sub directories per directory and 2 billion files in total.

The minimum amount of required free disk space for Android is 200mb, so that's 0.1% on the Z and 0.2% on the A

My smartphone is 99% full and still works properly without any speed impacts or other issues.

well, at least from my experience on both Android (I've been pretty much been on Google line and occassional Samsung since Nexus), but even with those, I can tell you that there's lag available on everything I've used with more files present (before I started syncing photos and movies to the cloud), so what you say is probably true, my experience, it does cause lag so I try to keep it a habit of keeping 10~20% free space, especially since it's still pretty much valid with Windows 11 (although may not be as much as previous). Again, speaking from my own experience and soon as I deleted files (when this was happening), it made the lag pretty much go away. This was also true with my M1 (yes, i know it's not Android) when I just dumped bunch of flac into one directory and also on the main storage. When I freed it up and still in one directory, it made it go quicker, but still had lag. I then just subcategorized it and it made it go away.

Also, i dont know if Windows has character limit (doesn't matter for my experience regardless as it's working for me), but the crappy Sony's media player (Windows application, not the walkman app) definitely has a character limit when you try to do stuff with it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #4,959 of 15,518
So it’s been almost a month of owning the new 1AM2. For anyone sitting on the fence thinking about upgrading to the M2 from the M1, do it.

From an honest person that doesn’t believe in the SD Card/Android degrades audio quality yada. The M2 sounds the same as the M1 with the benefit of not only streaming but a proper functioning Walkman Music app with the ability to search, manage playlists, add next song to queue and much more.
The battery life is incredible compared to other Android DAPs I’ve owned and it is the same if not more hours than the M1.
I have not experienced serious lag, however like my M1 it has the occasional stutter.

The only 2 things I miss from the M1 is the size and Bluetooth receiver.

Hopefully Sony can put up some updates regarding the Bluetooth receiver function.

My M1 is now up for sale as it no longer required.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #4,960 of 15,518

This is useful. I have around 11,000 Tidal tunes I am trying to download to a 1TB Microsd card. Keeps crashing on the Wm1AM2. Have to continuously restart. I don’t know if I’m over-loading it or not.

But I think my main point is that I never had anything like the same issues doing exactly the same on my Hiby R8 and iBasso DX3000. It should take up less than 500GB on the card.

Jun 12, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #4,961 of 15,518
I remember the M1 also needed quite an fair amount is free disk space for updates.

But the last update had been a while :D
True LOL, it needs the full file size to update, but sadly Sony has lost interest in supporting the M1's

Q-6

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #4,963 of 15,518
a proper functioning Walkman Music app with the ability to search
Indeed! For me that was the main reason to sell my WM1Z; for me it was not manageable with around 40k songs not to have a search function.
A lot of HFers explained me how they were filing effectively their songs so they could easily find them but that was not an exercise I was willing to do.

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #4,964 of 15,518
Indeed! For me that was the main reason to sell my WM1Z; for me it was not manageable with around 40k songs not to have a search function.
A lot of HFers explained me how they were filing effectively their songs so they could easily find them but that was not an exercise I was willing to do.
I've never used a search function, even on Android DAPs. I mostly listen to full albums, or I stream. Every single one of my albums is filed and catalogued, so I mostly use the folder view with the 1Z. I don't download or file singles. But I really miss the 'play next' feature when I'm bouncing around my downloaded albums.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #4,965 of 15,518
Another M1 UX / feature perk is the ability to: disable charging when USB DAC mode is engaged.

But what I really would love in both the M1/M2s is the return of the display albums by grid view from the old ZX1/2

1655027333398.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back