SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,921 of 15,611
You are right that what @KevP is referring to isn't RAM, and has nothing to do with overall system performance (unless the read/write speeds were different).

However it should be referred to as storage and not ROM (read only memory can't be written to). Cherrios~
Thanks for the clarification. I think my point is, does the ZM2 have more of whatever affects the performance? I really don't know. Just wondering.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #4,922 of 15,611
I don't own an WM1ZM2 (yet) but i asked the japanese friends i have who do own one and they haven't experienced issues yet. Neither crashed, nor laggyness.

The WiFi perception is bad with them too, but my M11 Plus i have temporary also have very bad wifi perception. I think that is just the price when everything is shielded heavily everywhere to not affect sound quality.

In the end DAPs are bad streaming devices imho. They need to be build like a smartphone and run smartphone OS to archive that but for the best sound, you want an device that is build like an miniature desktop amp.

By the way i am setting up an ZX300 for a friend right now (imported from japan) and i took some time to compare it to the M11 Plus (never did that. Only with the ZX500 and WM1Z) and holy moly, the ZX300 is better than the M11 Plus for sure.

The track where i noticed this the most is "Imperfect Lock" from the interstellar Soundtrack. In the last third of the Song, there are sounds coming in pulses towards you. They get closer every time, suddenly disappear and begin again in the distance.

With the ZX300 and the MDR-Z1R this is an experience. You really feel how every pulse gets closer to you and how this is affecting your brain. This is an scary experience, especially on louder volumes (i tested on 110/120 on the ZX300 (low gain of course) and oh my god is this amazing.

I tested the same with the M11 Plus but the sounds only get louder with every pulse. They are not getting closer to you or anything. They keep/have the same distance all the time and just increase in volume.

This is just one of many examples and i don't have too much time as he really wants his ZX300, but this shows me that even an old/used ZX300 is still outperforming an brand new M11 Plus ESS.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,923 of 15,611
"fanboys" is the answer my friend.
One should use only words whose meaning one knows for sure. :wink:
As the word "fanboy" has rather a negative connotation, it applies to a person who defends his/her favourite e.g. company regardless of the company has done wrong.

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #4,924 of 15,611
The processor of these walkmans appears to be the NXP i.MX8 Plus, ARM Cortex-A53

the follow diagram of that processor seems to imply 868KB of RAM and 512KB of Cache.

My ZX1 has 1GB of SDRAM for operation and apps. These walkmans much be a quite a few more GB than that.

Screenshot_20220611-104833_Gallery.jpg

No experience of this processor. The processor on my Sony OLED 55A1 Tv I bought in 2017 was woefully sluggish with android and crashed lots, but 5 years on, even with updated Android versions it is miles better. Sometimes I think implementation efficiency plays a part. My 48A9 TV is on another level though, super smooth operation no doubt due to better processor and implementation.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #4,926 of 15,611
ROM = Read-Only Memory.
If the storage really were ROM, the DAP would have preinstalled music by the producer. Such a music could not have been deleted and replaced by another music.
The DAP internal storage is a kind of SSD, I assume.
your definition on ROM is correct.
but don’t know from when (perhaps during the age of PDA), ppl starting to use the term ROM to refer to internal memory which does not lose content when the device is turned off for handheld devices

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #4,927 of 15,611
Jun 11, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #4,934 of 15,611
Here is his second review, one month after

At 6:37 he is talking about not having any issues with the software.

Everything is working as expected and as you can see in the video, everything runs fluid.

His Walkman is, of course, in Stock form, so not debloated

But Amazon Music tends to be stressed easily as he says. Is you scroll there too fast, it sometimes starts to lag.

But using it normally, he never had issues and enjoyed using it with a lot of apps

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #4,935 of 15,611
Wifi strength is also extremely poor, compared to the R8 and DX300 sitting next to it.
There was a review on Youtube from a Hong Kong creator who compared the bluetooth connection of both the 1AM2 and 1ZM2, and concluded that the 1ZM2 was worse with wireless due to the copper chassis. I wonder if it's the same with Wifi.
Glad some positive feedback after that worrying post.

Here's a nice pic from Sato's twitter. https://twitter.com/Hiroaki59612632/status/1535418139801858048?t=IMdZ01b1BrjRmU3RCPnybw&s=19 Noticed an NW-ZX1 next to the NW-WM1ZM2 😀

That ZX1 looks like one of prototypes they created to test different housings before the ZX2. From memory it was machined out of brass.

Very cool if attendees get a chance to listen to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back