SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 12, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #4,967 of 15,608
As we understand the 'break-in' period for the 1AM2 is supposed to be 200 hours. Via the settings you can see the audio played time for the stereo mini and the balanced standard connection. However, if you use the bluetooth connection for wireless headphones it seems that the time played does not appear against the stereo mini or the balanced standard total. Can somebody confirm that using wireless headphones contributes to the breaking in time by using the same circuitry in the 1AM2 or are the two in fact different and should not be counted together?

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #4,968 of 15,608
Another M1 UX / feature perk is the ability to: disable charging when USB DAC mode is engaged.

But what I really would love in both the M1/M2s is the return of the display albums by grid view from the old ZX1/2

1655027333398.png
Woah, you're telling me this isn't in the latest machine .. man.. a visual learner myself is so helpful. Why do sony remove such basic functionality.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #4,969 of 15,608
As we understand the 'break-in' period for the 1AM2 is supposed to be 200 hours. Via the settings you can see the audio played time for the stereo mini and the balanced standard connection. However, if you use the bluetooth connection for wireless headphones it seems that the time played does not appear against the stereo mini or the balanced standard total. Can somebody confirm that using wireless headphones contributes to the breaking in time by using the same circuitry in the 1AM2 or are the two in fact different and should not be counted together?
When you're using wireless headphones, the data is send out using the Bluetooth chip.

It never touches the S-Master HX not any of the capacitors, so it does not contribute to any burn in

Btw 1AM2 is an headphone from Sony, what you mean if the WM1AM2^^

It's WM1 Version A Mark 2

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #4,970 of 15,608
When you're using wireless headphones, the data is send out using the Bluetooth chip.

It never touches the S-Master HX not any of the capacitors, so it does not contribute to any burn in

Btw 1AM2 is an headphone from Sony, what you mean if the WM1AM2^^

It's WM1 Version A Mark 2
thanks for the information...it being the NW-WM1ZM2/NW-WM1AM2 discussion board I thought I would save some time typing like most other people...now, where did I put those eggs...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #4,971 of 15,608
So if one doesn't care for streaming music, is it pointless to get this if one already has the first WM1A?

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #4,972 of 15,608
@Gamerlingual : WM1A M1 can be uncapped and modified by MrWalkman custom FW if needed.
None of this one can do at least currently as no one has succeeded in hacking Google Android in WM1x M2s yet.

It is possible to buy a non-EU model of WM1A M2 but this way only volume cap removal would be solved. Still no sound modification via any custom FW would be possible.

The sound signature of M2s is said to be different from the one of M1s. If it is "better", it is highly subjective.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #4,973 of 15,608
So if one doesn't care for streaming music, is it pointless to get this if one already has the first WM1A?
All reviews i've seen so far attest it to sound better. The Mark 2 sounds much closer the Sound of the TA-ZH1ES than the Mark 1.

If you think your TA-ZH1ES sounds better than your WM1A, you'll most likely see it as an improvement. Some people like the more closer/intimate sound of the Mark 1, but the sound is described by almost everyone as more refined in all areas.

I'd be highly surprised if, after 6 years of development and after using better Hardware in all areas, they would release an DAP that sounds worse.

The Walkman is the Flagship of Sony Audio, the most important product for them, i am pretty sure they take a lot of care to make sure, it is better in every aspect than the Mark 1.

Then there is the longer battery life (40hrs vs 33hrs), the shorter charging time (4.5hrs vs 7hrs), DSD Remastering (i personally don't care) and so on.

So it most likely is the better device in all areas.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #4,975 of 15,608
One of the first things I've noticed the moment i used the WM1AM2 is the much wider soundstage (height/width/depth) without sacrificing the dynamic range/PRaT factor (in fact, the latter is also quite noticeable from the Mk1 unit). When I still had my WM1A, I tried the DMP-Z1 custom FW of MrWalkman; while I also noticed the wider soundstage, the WM1A also sounded thinner/less dynamic, forcing me to go back to the earlier custom FW (I already forgot which one).

Most of my listening so far (>95%) has involved FLAC files stored in the micro SD card; subjectively, I thought these songs sounded better with the WM1AM2 than that WM1A.

Jun 13, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #4,976 of 15,608
Is that the WM1ZM2 give better depth, layer and wide in sound stage than WM1AM2 ? Thanks.
To what i've read in reviews so far, they are the same.

The Z Version seems to have more structure. One guy made an image trying to explain the difference

1655112680388.png

But haven't heard any of the myself, thank to foreigners are still not allowed to enter Japan.

The reviewer who made this image said, the biggest difference he heard in drums. That he could hear the ringing of the snare/toms much better with the Z Version than with the A Version.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,977 of 15,608

The Z Version seems to have more structure. One guy made an image trying to explain the difference

But haven't heard any of the myself, thank to foreigners are still not allowed to enter Japan.

The reviewer who made this image said, the biggest difference he heard in drums. That he could hear the ringing of the snare/toms much better with the Z Version than with the A Version.
Thank You.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #4,978 of 15,608

1655112680388.png

Can you share the original link? Thanks.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,979 of 15,608

1655112680388.png

i like analogies for comparison via sketches :) - thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back