SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #4,847 of 15,722
At this price point Sony will loose more sales. Google Android is both intrusive and negatively impacts SQ, Open Android was the obvious choice, however Sony sold out to big tech. Sony wants to see my $$$$ they need to lead, not merely follow the crowd....
Just speaking as someone new to this entirely.

I wanted a separate portable player to stream music + local files. At the price of a smartphone, I was recommended a bunch of Fiio's, Hiby's, and more expensive iBasso.

Judging it like a smartphone, they were all kinda rough around the edges as a product, either not comfortable to hold or the UI wasn't easy on the eyes. The spec sheet were impressive though, things that looked innovative but I couldn't understand like iBasso running 2 batteries. The issue however when I listened to them, they were all very audiophile/detail emphasis, however once I tried the WM1 series 1 it was a lot more musical and delicate to my ears and that's all mattered to me.

I was told the 1AM2 was a substantial improvement from the the series 1 while keeping similar tonality. For $1899AUD, it's so aggressively priced e.g. DX320 are $2499, so surely they'll sell a tonne of 1AM2's, it's less than cost of an iPhone!

As I mentioned, for $1899, I'm also buying into the Sony branding, design, and physical build.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #4,848 of 15,722
While I don't have bat-like levels of hearing, I don't hear any audible SQ degradation from the WM1A (which I previously owned) to the WM1AM2. So I really don't understand the fuss about using Android as the OS for the 1AM2/1ZM2. It's not as if we're listening to transistor radio-like SQ performance with the newer units.

Being able to stream music (I use Apple Music) is a huge plus IMHO. I tried it the other day and I also don't hear any SQ degradation compared to listening directly from my MBP (with my IEMs connected to the headphone jack).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,849 of 15,722
While I don't have bat-like levels of hearing, I don't hear any audible SQ degradation from the WM1A (which I previously owned) to the WM1AM2. So I really don't understand the fuss about using Android as the OS for the 1AM2/1ZM2. It's not as if we're listening to transistor radio-like SQ performance with the newer units.

Being able to stream music (I use Apple Music) is a huge plus IMHO. I tried it the other day and I also don't hear any SQ degradation compared to listening directly from my MBP (with my IEMs connected to the headphone jack
Because many cannot have the cake to eat...
Being Android means it is difficult to have the custom FW installed like WM1A....
Then many excuses like Android is intrusive blah blah blah.... Sound like broken record.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #4,850 of 15,722
If anyone is interested in Australian stock, the 1AM2 is available at the end of this month and 1ZM2 in August!

Surprisingly I'm feeling really calm with the long wait. I think Sony had 5 years over other brands to develop and refine it. I'm confident I won't be let down for it being my first DAP!

I truly believe they produced the best DAP humanly possible within the set boundaries/restrictions given by management, i.e. budget, materials, manufacturing, pricing.

I'm actually excited that it's android based and is capable of streaming. I'm sure they'll lose users over this but they'll get twice as much new users like me 😁

Imagine the team working on w1m2 series, turning up to the office for 5 years working on the same product, I'm sure they've done a lot to suppress the noise and refine other issues. It's like their second child.

It's always a special feeling when buying a product that's been carefully designed and made. I made a choice with Sony as it offered streaming, soft gentle sound, and the shape of the player is beautifully sculpted!
Yup its a long wait for andriod streaming app on sony.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #4,851 of 15,722
Nope, I like the Sony sound signature and I'm entitled to my opinion...

Q-6

Why not just buy the Google-free Chinese market version? I don't really see a conspiracy here - I think Sony (correctly) decided that people wanted the ability to easily use streaming apps, and the Play Store was the best solution. Plain and simple.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #4,852 of 15,722
Why not just buy the Google-free Chinese market version? I don't really see a conspiracy here - I think Sony (correctly) decided that people wanted the ability to easily use streaming apps, and the Play Store was the best solution. Plain and simple.
Already stated that, but thx for the comment. It's simply a personal choice, Sony could have done far more and left the door open to the user. Sadly Sony folded to Google. A&K very clearly illustrates how Open Android can be deployed with a focus on SQ. Sony Corp only cares about profit not SQ or things would be very different.

WM1A/Z are iconic for good reason, second generation, just another slave to Google's Android. If I go for the M2 it will be a CN market model. More likely I'll opt for a DAP that focuses on SQ and not harvesting the users data....

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #4,854 of 15,722
Does anyone know how to check the region version of the WM1a from the box? Checking out a used version. Does the NA one come with a cap or just EU?
WM1A/Z & ZX300 you can swap region at will and easily remove any volume cap, M2 forget about it,,

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Need more help, shout out and one us will jump in...

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,856 of 15,722
That doesn’t bode well with us here in the US either. I preordered from audio46 and they said they ordered 100 of the AM2’s..there’s no way they’ll get that many which means they will probably have a lot of cancellations. Especially because I may be high on that list.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #4,857 of 15,722
That doesn’t bode well with us here in the US either. I preordered from audio46 and they said they ordered 100 of the AM2’s..there’s no way they’ll get that many which means they will probably have a lot of cancellations. Especially because I may be high on that list.
How did you find out where in the US you can preorder? Were you just asking among the official Sony retailers?

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #4,858 of 15,722
Another review on Amazon UK moaning about the low output volume and two stars. What is wrong with people, surely everyone spending > £1000 on a DAP knows about the volume cap now. Either import from another region or buy another DAP.

I can't even order one no stock in UK. I know it will be perfect for my use, these Somoaners sound so ungrateful at least they got to actually own this awesome DAP.
I happened to go on to the Sony website in the UK today. And there was the
Another review on Amazon UK moaning about the low output volume and two stars. What is wrong with people, surely everyone spending > £1000 on a DAP knows about the volume cap now. Either import from another region or buy another DAP.

I can't even order one no stock in UK. I know it will be perfect for my use, these Somoaners sound so ungrateful at least they got to actually own this awesome DAP.
Sorry, but this might make you feel... well... bad.

I had decided to pay over the odds for a WM1AM2 on ebay from Japan and had an offer accepted today. I then for some mysterious reason decided to go on to the Sony UK website and, unbelievably it was in stock. I ordered it straight away and then saw availability had changed to out of stock - so Sony themselves only had one in the UK. I'm still sceptical that it will happen, but I did receive a notification from DPD that they will be delivering it tomorrow, but I won't believe it until it's in my hands. On the other hand, this could all be a dream!

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #4,859 of 15,722
How did you find out where in the US you can preorder? Were you just asking among the official Sony retailers?
I just knew the 2 vendors that have Sony DAPs and they had a preorder link for probably a month or so then it was gone.

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4,860 of 15,722
In a day or two I will get a NW-WM1AM2 that I ordered from Amazon Japan through a forwarding service. Beside not having warranty, I am concerned about the language. The manual is in Japanese only, but I could download a PDF in English. On the device itself there are some Japanese symbols which I can deal with, too. Also, it has been answered here that English can be chosen during the initial setup. Attached is a screenshot from one of the Japanese version unboxing videos on YouTube. As far as I understand, Japanese is the language and inside the parentheses is the country Japan. If English is chosen, which country does it correspond to? Will it say Japan again or something else? Also, is it possible to log into Google services with a US based Google ID?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220605-113938.png
    Screenshot_20220605-113938.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back