SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 25, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #4,563 of 15,710
Yep, personally I've been setting upper bounds on volume for 'clean balanced' sound on the M1s at 108/120. I notice 'clipping' of frequency range above that level according to my own tastes. Would be different for everyone. Sure a machine can pinpoint the precise cut-off, but I think you'll need evaluate with your own hearing anyway.

The one aspect of any hobby that has a technical layer (cars, cameras, etc) that is a major community killer and turn off is the fragility when one's findings are challenged. Then again ego is part of the fun.
Sometimes we just need something to help us confirm our hearings.... There is no wrong or right.. The more important thing is to enjoy the music...

May 25, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #4,564 of 15,710
This screenshot is in no way even remotely accurate enough to calculate the dynamic range using it.
Why so obsessed with DR? By definition:
Dynamic Range measures the difference between a circuit’s noise floor with NO signal being converted and the circuit’s POTENTIAL maximum level. It’s expressed as a positive number range, but again, the larger the number, the less audible the noise is.
It's a ratio of max output against noise at no signal, how is it more relevant than the THD+N graph, which shows distortion+noise at every possible volume, at different impedance levels so people can choose the one closest to their usage?

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #4,565 of 15,710

The graphs sound really good! The one on the right looks like something the enlightened can flagellate themselves with. Love how some people are able to interpret the actual real life audio performance represented in these squiggly traces, without ever listening to the earphone/speaker/DAP. Wish I could do that, but unfortunately, the traces just look like squiggles to me. Then again, could it be that my understanding is correct, and the squiggles don't really mean anything, but a lot of people are pretending that they do mean something? Sort of like when the "experts" were explaining to the hoi poloi how derivatives, junk bonds, etc., were solid financial instruments that were just too complex , and beyond the common persons understanding?

But don't take this comment seriously. It's just one ignorant person's speculation on how arcane the measurement world is, and who obviously has no understanding of how measurements are the ultimate truth, if you have the proper education and understanding. And that you can ignore....ignore....ignore.....

May 25, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #4,566 of 15,710
Managed to hear the Sony WH-1000XM5 demo unit on my WM1AM2 with my ear profile on LDAC Mode.

I think sounds better than what I have heard the XM5 on my Iphone 11 Pro Max on AAC mode. The bass feels much fuller.

But it's kinda strange when you enable DSEE Ultimate over Bluetooth on the Walkman and use the XM5 DSEE Extreme on top of it. Double application of DSEE AI algorithms?

I would say the XM5 has really good spatial sound reproduction but still will lose out to a wired MDR-1AM2 interns of pure resolution and fine sound details(airiness and treble sharpness).

The only downside is the XM5 isn't as foldable as it's predecessors XM4 and XM3.

Also the plastic build quality of the white unit feels like it's bumpy recycled plastic. I would recommend getting the black model if you care about feel and build quality.

May 25, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #4,567 of 15,710
The graphs sound really good! The one on the right looks like something the enlightened can flagellate themselves with. Love how some people are able to interpret the actual real life audio performance represented in these squiggly traces, without ever listening to the earphone/speaker/DAP. Wish I could do that, but unfortunately, the traces just look like squiggles to me. Then again, could it be that my understanding is correct, and the squiggles don't really mean anything, but a lot of people are pretending that they do mean something? Sort of like when the "experts" were explaining to the hoi poloi how derivatives, junk bonds, etc., were solid financial instruments that were just too complex , and beyond the common persons understanding?

But don't take this comment seriously. It's just one ignorant person's speculation on how arcane the measurement world is, and who obviously has no understanding of how measurements are the ultimate truth, if you have the proper education and understanding. And that you can ignore....ignore....ignore.....

Can the measurements from that L7Audiolab tell me anything with regards to the WM1ZM2's instrument separation, layering, vocal imaging, bass transients, soundstage width, height, depth and background darkness? Music is a dynamic signal, it is not something that you can fully evaluate an audio equipment performance just by generating sine test tones with.

See this part of video from Currawong which talks about low THD numbers versus actual bass performance and capacitance of the amp:

To me I think the most important thing is the ability of audio equipment to make my music sound enjoyable to my ears, especially with the kind of music content which are of bad recording quality and of lossy low bitrate.

Enjoyable as in free from digital artifacts, immersive sounding and yet pleasant to the ears. Especially in the portable setting, where I bring my Walkman outside to listen.

The M2 Walkman is quite good at making crappy sources like spotify and youtube music more enjoyable and that's more important than whatever 0.001% THD that they have measured.

The M2 Walkman is just choke full of Sony digital processing algorithms, even if you force the Walkman to be Direct Source ON. There's no escaping Sony digital processing unless you enter safe mode and disable headphone app and use direct source mode.

All these digital processing will definitely alter the sine wave test tones results that the measurebators are so concerned about. Especially in the case when you enable DSEE Ultimate or any other of the Sony's DSP.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4,568 of 15,710
Agree with gLer. We need to show the beauty with TPU cover lol.
4FDB8FB8-DFFA-482E-9B6B-410AA39C3C90.jpegFA1F2C60-F62A-472B-8473-F7E04403FC4A.jpeg1DD53AE2-7B49-4056-B1AC-94CD6B6364BA.jpeg

May 25, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #4,574 of 15,710
audio46 had it up for presale a while ago but they pulled the listing due to "extremely high demand and low supply" they pushed back their estimated delivery date to august i believe when we spoke on the phone and then just outright pulled the listing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back