SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 25, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #4,546 of 15,986
Over there they say the same but in reverse, for example all us loonies saying that one cable sounds better than another one etc, etc. :)
Because they don't actually listen with their ears, only their oscilloscopes. Imagine all we did all day was 'listen' to sine sweeps...

May 25, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #4,547 of 15,986
Srsly, who listens to their WM1x/WM1xM2 at 120/120 volume level??? With my MDR-Z7M2, 90/120 is already plenty loud!

May 25, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,549 of 15,986
Not just, that 120/120 High Gain is unrealistic.

More important, if you lower the volume, the quality improves.

With Analog Amps, if you lower the Volume, you lower the input signal to the Amp, that means you decrease the sound quality.

So Analog Amps measure worse at lower volumes while digital amps measure better.

May 25, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #4,550 of 15,986
Haha, I tend to hit 120 (low-gain), on occasions with the IER-Z1R, but that's just me.

As others have @Vamp898 has mentioned increasing the volume does alter the sound (or at least the relative perception of bass vs treble). So measurements can skewed to produce a biased result, depending on what you are measuring.

As with most things I think there's a bit of truth on both extremes. It's a good pursuit to hold products and companies to a higher level of scrutiny. Although I love the experience of my gold bricks, there is cynical part of me that thinks we are getting oversold on certain 'upgrades'.

One perspective that I've come to is that the years is there's a lot of cool experiences you'd close yourself on if you don't approach things with an open mind and heart. Tube amps come to mind. They measure awful but sound great (to me!).

Personally I think "Hi-fi(delity)" is just as much as a snake-oil/ marketing mindset and invites a certain type of bias when approaching things that break the mold.

Golden Ears (of MQA debunking fame), made an excellent and balanced video covering audio measurements:

May 25, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #4,551 of 15,986
Oh, to be fair, measuring the Walkman's at max volume on high gain. Is reasonable. Some users thinking of pairing hard-to-drive headphones would find this information useful. But as a test that covers the general use cases it can be misleading.

May 25, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #4,552 of 15,986
Someone postet measurements here that looked pretty bad/average.

I just noticed, that this guys measured the WM1ZM2 in the worst case scenario (120/120 Volume on High-Gain).

It is important to notice that, if you lower the volume, you increase the quality by a _lot_.

Unlike with analog amps where you decrease the sound quality when you lower the volume

The measurments at realistic listening volumes looks very different.

Also he failed to measure the difference between input and output signal. In general, analog amps modify the input signal much more than digital amps do (which causes the often called "Soft" Sound of Analog amps).

So if he would have done measurements at realistic listening levels, the measurements would have looked significantly better.

The measurements are not wrong. If you are listening at 100% Volume High Gain, an Digital Amp performs worse than an analog amp. But this is an unrealistic scenario.
Where is the measurement?

If there is no clipping 120/120 is ok and the sound quality will not drop.
If there is clipping on the signal, naturally you would want to lower the volume to just below the clipping point so that the output signal is good.

May 25, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #4,553 of 15,986
Where is the measurement?

If there is no clipping 120/120 is ok and the sound quality will not drop.
If there is clipping on the signal, naturally you would want to lower the volume to just below the clipping point so that the output signal is good.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/sony-nw-wm1zm2/

Actually the measurements proof that the WM1ZM2 is better than every human ear that ever existed, does exist or will ever exist.

So the WM1ZM2 is "perfect" to the human hear. But, obvisouly, this is not enough for audiophiles

May 25, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #4,554 of 15,986
Haha, I tend to hit 120 (low-gain), on occasions with the IER-Z1R, but that's just me.

As others have @Vamp898 has mentioned increasing the volume does alter the sound (or at least the relative perception of bass vs treble). So measurements can skewed to produce a biased result, depending on what you are measuring.

As with most things I think there's a bit of truth on both extremes. It's a good pursuit to hold products and companies to a higher level of scrutiny. Although I love the experience of my gold bricks, there is cynical part of me that thinks we are getting oversold on certain 'upgrades'.

One perspective that I've come to is that the years is there's a lot of cool experiences you'd close yourself on if you don't approach things with an open mind and heart. Tube amps come to mind. They measure awful but sound great (to me!).

Personally I think "Hi-fi(delity)" is just as much as a snake-oil/ marketing mindset and invites a certain type of bias when approaching things that break the mold.

Golden Ears (of MQA debunking fame), made an excellent and balanced video covering audio measurements:

Thats the next thing, how is it performing on 120/120 Low Gain? How much is the difference from Low to High Gain? It seems that nobody cares about this. Strange, isn't it?

May 25, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,555 of 15,986
Yep, personally I've been setting upper bounds on volume for 'clean balanced' sound on the M1s at 108/120. I notice 'clipping' of frequency range above that level according to my own tastes. Would be different for everyone. Sure a machine can pinpoint the precise cut-off, but I think you'll need evaluate with your own hearing anyway.

The one aspect of any hobby that has a technical layer (cars, cameras, etc) that is a major community killer and turn off is the fragility when one's findings are challenged. Then again ego is part of the fun.

May 25, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #4,556 of 15,986
Thats the next thing, how is it performing on 120/120 Low Gain? How much is the difference from Low to High Gain? It seems that nobody cares about this. Strange, isn't it?
If you learnt to read the graphs you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Hint: look at THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level

May 25, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,557 of 15,986
If you learnt to read the graphs you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Hint: look at THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level
Please enlight me.

Which of these show the LowGain Performance?

1653476147214.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back