SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 26, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #4,591 of 15,985
Has to be if Sony plans to Sell M2 in China and it's a very significant market for high end DAP's. My only concern is that if Sony employs regional tuning as per their Linux based DAPS then the CN model may have a high point at 8K as per the M1 models and similar other players.

Until I see/listen to a CN M2, however logically without Google's apps the player should present better performance/SQ. it might not be much, equally when paying 4 figures for a portable player I don't expect it come with such excess baggage. If I wanted a multimedia device with HQ audio, I'd opt for a decent dongle for my smart phone and save a good deal of $$$$. Frankly Sony cant have it both ways; spinning the quality of excellence in it's curated interview's, yet dumping Google's apps on the ROM as the latter clearly has a negative impact on SQ...

Q-6

Why would it be any different than buying US M2 and uninstalling a handful of apps? It sucks that people in EU have to deal with volume-limit regulations, but I don't think you should limit yourself to just CN M2 because you can buy M2 anywhere outside of EU for that matter.

May 26, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #4,593 of 15,985
Why would it be any different than buying US M2 and uninstalling a handful of apps? It sucks that people in EU have to deal with volume-limit regulations, but I don't think you should limit yourself to just CN M2 because you can buy M2 anywhere outside of EU for that matter.
US M2 still have android...

By the way, looking forward to your review on the M2. Hope is is ready soon.

May 26, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,594 of 15,985
US M2 still have android...

By the way, looking forward to your review on the M2. Hope is is ready soon.

and CN WM1ZM2 will not have Android? :wink: They might have to remove some Google apps to meet licensing regulations, but it should still be Android 11 based. My review queue is full, but I want to get to M2 sooner than later because I'm flooded with questions.

May 26, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #4,595 of 15,985
and CN WM1ZM2 will not have Android? :wink: They might have to remove some Google apps to meet licensing regulations, but it should still be Android 11 based. My review queue is full, but I want to get to M2 sooner than later because I'm flooded with questions.

I flashed the Chinese firmware on my ZX507 for a while just to see if it made any difference. The answer was none that I could hear. Yes, the google background apps do take up resources and may cause a lag occasionally as they update or do whatever in the background.

Ultimately, the benefits of having the Play Store won out (UAPP, easy updates, etc.) and I switched back to International firmware. YMMV.

Of course, all SD cards sound the same to me as well (and the headphone app also, other than Tidal)... :wink:

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #4,596 of 15,985
But can you fully remove all of Google's junk? Some debloat lists for other Google Android based DAP's are passing 80 app's which is a joke. If audio quality/performance was paramount Open Android would be the better option for streaming DAP's.

I'm based in Asia so picking up a CN model would make more sense for me as it will update without the need to continuously debloat. At this price point Sony should be offering it's customers a choice either the ease of a multimedia device with some compromise or the best SQ attainable. Google by nature is predatory and intrusive and the very last thing I want on a DAP...

Q-6

May 26, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #4,597 of 15,985
But can you fully remove all of Google's junk? Some debloat lists for other Google Android based DAP's are passing 80 app's which is a joke. If audio quality/performance was paramount Open Android would be the better option for streaming DAP's.

I'm based in Asia so picking up a CN model would make more sense for me as it will update without the need to continuously debloat. At this price point Sony should be offering it's customers a choice either the ease of a multimedia device with some compromise or the best SQ attainable. Google by nature is predatory and intrusive and the very last thing I want on a DAP...

Q-6

Of course, makes sense! For some reason I thought you are in UK.

May 26, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #4,599 of 15,985
Wow! You bought a crippled 1AM2? If i am not mistaken I don't think it's possible to uncapped it ever. Anyways, congrats!
right, it will stay capped - @MrWalkman acknowledged it as well.

May 26, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #4,600 of 15,985
right, it will stay capped - @MrWalkman acknowledged it as well.
Yes, I am aware of that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I always listen to Apple Music, and 95% up to now is loud enough with really good sound quality to my taste. Tomorrow I will get a pair of IEMs and then over the weekend I will decide if I return it. Maybe then in favor of an ibasso DX320… damn first world problems :D

May 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #4,601 of 15,985
Shameless plug, if anyone here has an WMZ1M2 they are considering to let go of, I'm interested. Potentially trade my N8ii for it. EU preferred. :)

May 27, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,603 of 15,985
The N8ii didn’t do it for you ? Could you tell us more
I love the N8ii, it's fantastic. Nothing wrong with it at all, does more than any DAP I've ever owned or heard in terms of pure possibility.

I've just heard that the synergy of the Jewel and WM1ZM2 is off the charts, and slightly more in the romantic/mid favored variety and want to try that out. I will probably end up keeping the N8ii as well, I'd hate to let it go.

May 27, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #4,604 of 15,985
I always listen to Apple Music, and 95% up to now is loud enough with really good sound quality to my taste. Tomorrow I will get a pair of IEMs and then over the weekend I will decide if I return it. Maybe then in favor of an ibasso DX320… damn first world problems :D
EU can stick their restrictions in their collective arse, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions. Return it and get the full fat model, as a long-term owner of the WM1A you wont be disappointed. Four figures for a crippled device, just no...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #4,605 of 15,985
I actually own both the 1ZM2 and DX320 with AMP11 Mk2 (just collected my unit yesterday). I have to say DX320 doesn’t come close to 1ZM2 when it comes to details and technicality. The things that DX320 did much better is the power. With high gain in 1ZM2 I still need about 100 volume to drive my Meze Empyrean, but on the DX320 high gain, I barely hit 60 volume. But again, detail, clarity and technicality it’s a different league altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back