SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 11, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #4,066 of 15,612
For some devices, Play Store could be sideloaded onto them even though they don't have a license from Google.
Google had chosen not to stop Play Store from working on those devices for unknown reason.
If you open the Play Store app, open Settings -> About -> Play Protected certification
it will show "Device is not certified" if your device does not have a license from Google

The full list of devices licensed from Google could be found in
https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html

The Hiby (and other Chinese DAPs) is not one of them.
I think Hiby simply sideloaded Play Store (and Play Service) without the permission from Google.

If I remember correctly, Fiio even has an article to tell their customers on how to sideload Play Store on their devices...
Yes,

Shows v30.3.21 for open source, Device is not certified.

Does that lead to any limitation or future risk a Store update isn't guaranteed to work or something?

May 11, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,067 of 15,612
I doubt they have any stock to replace you 1-1. I also doubt the service manual is released, which has information of part # and the procedures of how to replace it.

The best bet is to ask someone who DIY and modifying the original M1. Parts must be similar, even if they don’t, there will be a way to fix it up and return as soon as you wanted. Otherwise, you will need to ask for refund and buy elsewhere that has them in stock

People can’t even find it to buy yet
Thanks for your comment, I guess as much about supply chain, but at least I expect them to give me an update on what is going on or give me an option, which they didn’t, nothing has been offered to me. And since my unit is still under warranty, I am not keen on DIY since it’d kill the warranty. Will see what they have to say since I wrote in an official complain.

May 11, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,068 of 15,612
I doubt they have any stock to replace you 1-1. I also doubt the service manual is released, which has information of part # and the procedures of how to replace it.

The best bet is to ask someone who DIY and modifying the original M1. Parts must be similar, even if they don’t, there will be a way to fix it up and return as soon as you wanted. Otherwise, you will need to ask for refund and buy elsewhere that has them in stock

People can’t even find it to buy yet
You would think a company as large as Sony would have warranty stock replacements. Sure I read even with PS5 scarcity they had reserves for replacements.

I'd never touch it under warranty. That's a sure fire way of having no warranty!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #4,069 of 15,612
Yes,

Shows v30.3.21 for open source, Device is not certified.

Does that lead to any limitation or future risk a Store update isn't guaranteed to work or something?
Usually it's just for apps on the Play store that need certified devices such as Netflix. Try to see if you can find Netflix in the store, as these apps may not be searchable. However, you can just sideload the app. I do not think music apps use this check

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #4,070 of 15,612
You would think a company as large as Sony would have warranty stock replacements. Sure I read even with PS5 scarcity they had reserves for replacements.

I'd never touch it under warranty. That's a sure fire way of having no warranty!
Exactly !! I don’t advise doing that. I am just saying. If it happened to me, I would ask for a refund. Or then I would DIY to fix it :wink: or may be sending it to someone who can. Because I can’t go without my music for long

May 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #4,071 of 15,612
I just had a response from Sony! about my one and only (at this time) review at Sony UK.

I notice they respond to missing High Gain while ignoring the actual volume cap too.

1652278589638.png

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #4,072 of 15,612
I ordered it from a dealer on Taobao.com. I am not sure whether the shop is going to sell overseas.
Dignis is going to release a similar one at the end of this month.
Nice! Can you share a link? Thanks! :)

May 11, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #4,073 of 15,612
I’m beginning to like the dsd mastering option on this second gen using apple music and tidal. Just so smooth and relaxing but the details are still there… the wm1am2 is a clear step up from zx507, which i have and that is expected being a flagship dap but still I’m surprised with the soundstage and details of the wm1am2… usually after several days of listening it doesnt surprise me anymore on my daps as i get used to the sound but this one still impresses… while i understand some prefer not having streaming or android on this one, it’s a must for me as i love just browsing new songs and having music apps play songs based on my listening preferences… i just pick it up and a few taps I’m listening to a wide range of music…

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #4,074 of 15,612
Usually it's just for apps on the Play store that need certified devices such as Netflix. Try to see if you can find Netflix in the store, as these apps may not be searchable. However, you can just sideload the app. I do not think music apps use this check
You know your stuff!

Yep, a search for Netflix comes up blank.

May 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,075 of 15,612
I might have missed earlier threads. Is the cmd used after getting adb shell this [pm uninstall -k --user 0 NameOfPackage] and to reinstall back this [pm install-existing NameOfPackage]?
Yes. Just be careful not to uninstall the essential system apps.

May 11, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #4,076 of 15,612
Thanks for your comment, I guess as much about supply chain, but at least I expect them to give me an update on what is going on or give me an option, which they didn’t, nothing has been offered to me. And since my unit is still under warranty, I am not keen on DIY since it’d kill the warranty. Will see what they have to say since I wrote in an official complain.
Personally I'd demand a refund as I find it unacceptable that a new device at this price point has to be sent for repair straight out the box. Worse still with an open ended completion date. If Sony doesn't have the basic support infrastructure in place then they should have delayed the launch of the players

Q-6

May 11, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #4,077 of 15,612
My first post here and more of a sharing of the experience of my brand spanking new WM1ZM2 which I pre-ordered back in February. I got my pre-order on 13-Apr and guess what, the 4.4mm Jack spoilt! I sent to Sony service center (I live in Singapore) on 14-Apr. And a month passed they still have not contacted me on the repair completion (what they gave me was “your repair will be completed from 11-May onwards”!!!! and they don’t seem to bother to give me any 1-to-1 replacement either. For a flagship product that costs a few good thousands dollars and this is what I ended up with, a lemon and a bad service that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also own the original WM1Z, no problem whatsoever for the passed years, their new flagship somehow has a very poor QC. Be careful if you think of buying this so called new Sony flagship.
U mean u it was delivered to your house spoilt? And u did not request a replacement next day? How can Sony even suggest repairing option, it's unreasonable sending a fault product over.

I wonder what sort of standard Sony Singapore management is showing to the world. In this era, any news can be share on the internet and be negative publicity.

Thks for sharing, guess I will do inspection of my player at the Sony center (with present 0f Sony staff) during collection, before I sign off.

May 11, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4,078 of 15,612
U mean u it was delivered to your house spoilt? And u did not request a replacement next day? How can Sony even suggest repairing option, it's unreasonable sending a fault product over.

I wonder what sort of standard Sony Singapore management is showing to the world. In this era, any news can be share on the internet and be negative publicity.

Thks for sharing, guess I will do inspection of my player at the Sony center (with present 0f Sony staff) during collection, before I sign off.
In Denmark a seller can insist on repairing if they consider it an”undue hassle or expense” to replace even if the item is doa

May 11, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,079 of 15,612
Guys, I need some inputs regarding the battery life of the 1am2. I’m currently burning in my unit by running the wm player on repeat loop. I notice that on a full charge 88% (battery care charge mode), after abt 7 hrs, the battery drops to 6%. Is that normal?

According to Sony this is suppose to run at least 15-18hrs on a full charge. Thanks

May 11, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #4,080 of 15,612
Guys, I need some inputs regarding the battery life of the 1am2. I’m currently burning in my unit by running the wm player on repeat loop. I notice that on a full charge 88% (battery care charge mode), after abt 7 hrs, the battery drops to 6%. Is that normal?

According to Sony this is suppose to run at least 15-18hrs on a full charge. Thanks
Have you left wifi switched on and/or using some kind of DSP like dsd remastering or dsee ultimate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back