SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,836 of 15,712
My preordered sony wm1am2 here in Manila has arrived, just in time to tinker and setup this weekend… my wm1a was the perfect dap for me and just needed streaming, so this second gen is really something i waited for a long time :)
I think this could be useful:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

Have fun ageing the capacitors. In my experience, the sound changes is going to be noticeable about every 50hours.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2,837 of 15,712
Virtually S-Master HX is on many Walkmans, the differences is the SOC and the audio components on the chains . Are you aiming for some slight % better ? Or are you aiming for S-master in general and pocketable solutions :wink:

Yes ZX507 is a watered down M2 LoL!!! But at a cost…a much more inflated and bulkier form factor.

What funnier is that a lot of the M2 is exactly what we (me and Steve) had done to the M1 (modify and glorify it) , and a lot of people were asking why didn’t Sony do so…etc…etc. I guess now they have their answer ? But at the core of modifications is that it is bound of no limits, unlike products that have to meet executive criteria (aka limitations and expectations) 🤑. Yeah, I said modifications, cause we don’t have the ability to change the SOC or implement the different OS either….

Anyways, who is to say that the M2 can’t be modified 🤣😂
A thicker "Gold" Signature ZX507 with Double battery size would have been great at under £1500!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,840 of 15,712
Give me "Gold coated Copper" ! Sony never seem to offer us exactly what we want :frowning2:
Neither does any others 🤣. That is why we are waging, analyzing, and as far as modifying our stuff. But having a gold brick coated with copper is an idea that I am sure no one would want to attempt. Because if you shipped out that pure gold brick today, the next thing you know is that it magically vaporized and no one is responsible 🤣🤣

On a technical note…you just don’t coat softer material with harder material 🤪

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,841 of 15,712
Yes ZX507 is a watered down M2 LoL!!! But at a cost…a much more inflated and bulkier form factor.
I would think that the M2 Walkman is an evolution of the ZX507’s android platform.

1AM2 Walkman does sound so much better than the ZX507. I have them side by side right now for comparison.

The 1AM2 Walkman has a much more grander and richer sound presentation over the zx507.

The soundstage feels a lot more deeper, wider and taller.

The dynamic transients is really a whole lot more faster and stronger.

The overall sound clarity and transparency of notes is also much improved too.

Music feels more emotive to listen to on the 1AM2 due to more bass texture and more stronger sub-bass

Vocals on the 1AM2 feels more expressive(more tiny details in breathing, vocal chord straining easily noticeable and more husky sounding male voices) along with a realistic three-dimensional imaging/reverbation that doesn’t show up on the ZX507.

If you trust my opinions, I think It’s quite a big margin of difference between the sound quality of the ZX507 vs the 1AM2.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,842 of 15,712
I would think that the M2 Walkman is an evolution of the ZX507’s android platform.

1AM2 Walkman does sound so much better than the ZX507. I have them side by side right now for comparison.

The 1AM2 Walkman has a much more grander and richer sound presentation over the zx507.

The soundstage feels a lot more deeper, wider and taller.

The dynamic transients is really a whole lot more faster and stronger.

The overall sound clarity and transparency of notes is also much improved too.

Music feels more emotive to listen to on the 1AM2 due to more bass texture and more stronger sub-bass

Vocals on the 1AM2 feels more expressive(more tiny details in breathing, vocal chord straining easily noticeable and more husky male voices) along with a realistic three-dimensional imaging/reverbation that doesn’t show up on the ZX507.

If you trust my opinions, I think It’s quite a big margin of difference between the sound quality of the ZX507 vs the 1AM2.
I trust you, and I have no doubts at all. Each of those components are chosen to “as you mentioned! Evolve the 507”. Also as I stated previously , it is a foolproof pricing from Sony

If you bought 507 and spend all of it on modifications, and let’s say yo achieve similar audio performances …. You would have spent about the same as a new 1A M2 if not more, except one is larger and one is smaller. But with people who doesn’t want to tinker with or going through all the Modifications troubles, then it is totally fool proof.

I will also say it too, I would grab 1A M2, and if I was to modify something, of-course the 1A M2 is a good candidate. But how can one resist the form factor of 507 and modifications either ? Lol

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #2,843 of 15,712
Probably different marketing, unless you meant Sony is going to release an even higher Walkman products, or there is other lower tier than M2 that is flagships ? But let’s not dwelling on this.

I have no doubts about upgraded components that effect sound quality. I have zero doubts about M2 to have a much more different performances from M1, because you probably know what I have been doing in this hobby already 😉.

I am just surprised that this time around, Sony claimed previously that AndroidOS took too much from sound processing quality, so they went with walkmanOS and developed touch screen interfaces WalkmanOS for the sake of sound.

Now, they released the second and next successor of the signature series but with AndroidOS, which is blatantly against their last statements. Probably the new Sony kinda things. I always trusted the older Sony statements as they never went butthead against their statements, even until now, you can see S-Master in virtually a lot of things. Especially when releasing DMP, they even admitted that S-Master were too noisy for headphones uses, and so in order to raise the output, they had to try new topology, which they couldn’t fit into DMP Z1, so AKM and TI amplifier it is. But Sony did an amazing job in the TA-ZH1ES
I have the TAZ (without ripping off the hood and tinkering) - interested to know why you rate it so highly @whitgir

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,845 of 15,712
I have the TAZ (without ripping off the hood and tinkering) - interested to know why you rate it so highly @whitgir
You should check out that thread buddy. I posted a lot of my findings over there.

Some example is that DSEEHX is toward 384Khz and not just 192Khz. This is also done by dedicated IC chips , Dual chips and not by Software + SOC as Walkman . It is also a “Discrete S-Master”

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,847 of 15,712
I trust you, and I have no doubts at all. Each of those components are chosen to “as you mentioned! Evolve the 507”. Also as I stated previously , it is a foolproof pricing from Sony

If you bought 507 and spend all of it on modifications, and let’s say yo achieve similar audio performances …. You would have spent about the same as a new 1A M2 if not more, except one is larger and one is smaller. But with people who doesn’t want to tinker with or going through all the Modifications troubles, then it is totally fool proof.

I will also say it too, I would grab 1A M2, and if I was to modify something, of-course the 1A M2 is a good candidate. But how can one resist the form factor of 507 and modifications either ? Lol

@Whitigir Write about this modification on 507, please.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #2,850 of 15,712
Sony online UK shop showing the Z for delivery Sat-Tue. Rep stating High Gain is enabled but just think he didn't know the history of Sony EU capped DAP's.

Been in my Basket 3 times already but just can't turn off the "Money Sense" to click the purchase button, plus 500g is same weight as my Surface Go 2! Just too heavy IMO unless purely using at home.

I need patience for the black at Amazon Japan 😩

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back