SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #2,191 of 15,566
I would highly recommend this German freeware for ripping cd audio accurately. I have tried with quite badly scratched disc and gotten good results with it, been using this software since about 20years ago.

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/
Yes that is what I’ve used for many years and it has ripped my 2.500 cd’s twice (first to aac over 10 years or more ago) and then again to flac over the last 6 years

Apr 12, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,192 of 15,566
Thank you! 🙏
That's also what I keep telling people explaining that some microSD cards sound better than others and audibly upgrades SQ ...

I know.. it's not worth to discuss this subject.. like power cables SQ impacts, Ethernet cables, Switches, and so on :beyersmile: ... I would say, it's like the existence of UFO and Ghosts .. In some countries they have loads of these ... in other very old countries with very old buildings => none.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,194 of 15,566
hello, which micro sd card do you recommend for a better SQ? thank you
as discussed many times in this forum: sandisk extreme pro - the new one with 170mb speed.

Apr 12, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #2,195 of 15,566
For decades of developments, in assembly, c/c++ ... I can confirm that on any drives (CD or medias) there are only ones and zeros and nothing else than some parity data to correct easily reading errors. Even with error corrections, a zero can't become a one => in no case, this can happen, it just would make a disaster.

When playing music with drive errors => as any drives, they have a large buffer, at worse you will only get clipping/scratches/lost of music and in no way a kind of analog limitations like distortion, reduce sound stages, layering, loss of low frequencies...
Data Error correction is something that software programmers don’t have deal with. It is handled by the storage media at the hardware and at the operating system level. There are complex mechanisms involved in detecting errors and correcting errors. How much error correction is done and how much errors gets through the system without being corrected is something that is difficult to understand. But if too much errors occurs, it will be audible in the case of a badly scratched cd, and there are differences in which the cd ripping software handles errors before giving up, some software will just let the error past thorough without attempting to reread the disc which results in the listener hearing the clipping errors more often as compared to a cd ripping software that does multiple attempts to detect and correct read errors.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #2,196 of 15,566
I think this video will explain that even files stored inside the nand flash memory chip is susceptible to bit rot which can be detected and corrected by hardware and software error correction, but there is still a limit to how much errors can be corrected before errors start to affect data and timing(which is critical for audio) integrity.

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,201 of 15,566
Yes, but this has nothing to do with sound quality

+ the article is not dated.
Since music is time domain data and time critical sound quality can depend on what and how much error correction needs to be done. This is also why a rip of a damaged disc can sound better than just playing the disc since the ripping process can spend much more time dealing with and correcting errors than pure play back can. On SD cards I could also imagine (though I don’t know) that things like shielding could come into play to limit noise.

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,202 of 15,566
I’ve just received my 1AM2
It came 1 month earlier than expected

Can’t wait to transfer all the songs from my old trusty ZX2
Don’t forget to create a “MUSIC” folder in the microSD card to hold the music files. Or the DAP won’t recognise it.

Lucky you! Did you order directly from Japan as well?

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #2,203 of 15,566
curious if 1am2 is (much) better than 1am1 in sound

also curious if i should buy a 2nd 1a as a backup or just save up and buy 1z

1st world problems
I would save for a 1Z or worse case get a second 1A.

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,204 of 15,566
Since music is time domain data and time critical sound quality can depend on what and how much error correction needs to be done. This is also why a rip of a damaged disc can sound better than just playing the disc since the ripping process can spend much more time dealing with and correcting errors than pure play back can. On SD cards I could also imagine (though I don’t know) that things like shielding could come into play to limit noise.

The microSD card is sending 0 and 1 to a buffer in the player, if there is an error that could not be corrected the song will not play correctly. The sound quality will not be altered by this error.

It's not like you were streaming a song from Spotify in automatic mode; in this case, depending on your network connection, the bitrate (and thus the sound quality) of the song will range between 24 kbps to 320 kbps.

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,205 of 15,566
This video explains why digital data streaming can go wrong, it’s about rising and falling of voltages and the behaviour of the electronic clocking circuitry that determines the signal’s ones and zeros. Playing back of Digital Audio works differently from copy of file data, in the sense that digital audio is time critical streaming of millions of bits per second and don’t have the luxury of implementing more complex error detection and correction methods that causes additional delays like the example of file copying where the operating system file system can do its own data integrity verification checks to ensure all bits are correctly transferred.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back