SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #871 of 15,604
Welcome to Head-Fi and hello from another tiny island!

As for CPU speed, I am personally not confident of it holding up in terms of performance. You could ask ZX507 owners in their thread, I think at this point many of them are starting to feel its age already.

Either ways, a Sony is a Sony and you are right about its sound quality, it has not disappointed.

Enjoy your music!
I have the 507 for a few years now and it not slow. I think people buy an Android DAP and want to use it like a phone, play games, run apps... Even after a few years old Android version, the 507 works perfectly fine and is plenty fast for doing what it is built for, playing music! I've been waiting for two years the coming of these new M2, they are exactly what I was dreaming of, 1Z/1A sound signature that can stream. Now I just have to wait until they are available in my country, my order is placed, this last waiting period is a torture! hahaha

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #873 of 15,604
By the way does anyone know if the RMT-NWS20 will work with these?

As they are working like a charm with all my android smartphones (Galaxy Z Fold 2 and 3 Android 12) and DAP (Kann Alpha Android 9, FIIO M11 Android 7, M17 Android 10) the RMT-NWS20 should work with the new Sony's dap with android 11 including the long press buttons for Fast Forward and Fast Reverse.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #874 of 15,604
As they are working like a charm with all my android smartphones (Galaxy Z Fold 2 and 3 Android 12) and DAP (Kann Alpha Android 9, FIIO M11 Android 7, M17 Android 10) the RMT-NWS20 should work with the new Sony's dap with android 11 including the long press buttons for Fast Forward and Fast Reverse.
How do you connect on Android? I never tried it outside of NW-WM1A/Z

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #875 of 15,604
I dont understand this concern with speed on android, I've had Android's since 2013 and not a single device has decreased in performance. My Note 10 Plus is from 2019 and it works like new; my LGG6 from 2017 works like new, tho I only use it to fly my DJI mini 2, my mother's Galaxy 7 is from 2015 and it still kicking ass.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #876 of 15,604
It’s not so much about speed for me, but stability. On my ZX507 I’ve had the native walkman app crash during playback, sometimes causing the entire player to restart. I never have problems like that with the Linux based OS. However, the ZX507 is on an older version of Android so maybe crashes and hiccups like this won’t be an issue on the M2s.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #877 of 15,604
How do you connect on Android? I never tried it outside of NW-WM1A/Z

It's just a simple bluetooth device... when you start the remote, it's automatically blinking for pairing and on the android device you can see the remote, you just pair it.. that's it.
I think from Android 11 you get fast forward and fast reverse too with long press on right or left direction.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #878 of 15,604
It's just a simple bluetooth device... when you start the remote, it's automatically blinking for pairing and on the android device you can see the remote, you just pair it.. that's it.
I think from Android 11 you get fast forward and fast reverse too with long press on right or left direction.
Thanks. I thought it would be complicated as normal Bluetooth remote didn't connect on WM1 which resulted me getting this remote in the first place

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #879 of 15,604
It’s not so much about speed for me, but stability. On my ZX507 I’ve had the native walkman app crash during playback, sometimes causing the entire player to restart. I never have problems like that with the Linux based OS. However, the ZX507 is on an older version of Android so maybe crashes and hiccups like this won’t be an issue on the M2s.
The other concern would probably be for how many years Sony will update Android and for how many years whatever apps one uses will work if the Android stops being updated

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #880 of 15,604
My concern remains the low output power. For a DAP of this caliber (and price) I would want 100mW of clean, stable power into a 150ohm load.

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #881 of 15,604
And I am a huge fan of Sony. I have owned and enjoyed Sony gear since the 1980s.

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #882 of 15,604
The other concern would probably be for how many years Sony will update Android and for how many years whatever apps one uses will work if the Android stops being updated

I am not sure, but I would think far longer and better than A&K, Shanling or other manufacturers with proprietary android version which can't accept the Google Play Store... They can't follow music streaming providers, install enhanced players (UAPP/Neutron), system level DSP & EQ (Wavelet/PowerAmpEQ) ...
Apps can mostly be updated on old version of android for years.

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #883 of 15,604
Sony, the hole in your game remains power output. The engineering in every other aspect of design is fabulous, almost aspirational for the majority of the industry. I think that many people fail to appreciate just how much variability in resistive loads, spread over the frequency range, that there typically is. In particular with dynamic drivers. That is why you require additional stable power, to cover this dynamic variability. Sony, please just do it, build more powerful amplification sections in your DAPs.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #884 of 15,604
Sony, the hole in your game remains power output. The engineering in every other aspect of design is fabulous, almost aspirational for the majority of the industry. I think that many people fail to appreciate just how much variability in resistive loads, spread over the frequency range, that there typically is. In particular with dynamic drivers. That is why you require additional stable power, to cover this dynamic variability. Sony, please just do it, build more powerful amplification sections in your DAPs.
Their Z1R line of headphones are power efficient, they couldn't care less about a 1.5W power output.

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #885 of 15,604

Here's to hoping that the A100 and ZX500 series get the Android update as well... similar hardware, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back