SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 2, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #842 of 15,688
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that's going to be way out of my budget. 🙁 Still believe that my ears have a certain $ amount that it hears (really!), then after that, I'm just wasting money hahaha 😅
Long as you're happy with your setup that's all it matters. Like me, alot hate Klipsch but I'm happy with em

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #844 of 15,688
Apple doesn’t do such a slow down, that I’m familiar with?
-it exists in apple products too, more noticable on the Mac side thought. I had to create sub direcotories to remedy this
This is only true if you clutter the desktop like Windows user do.

I've been using macOS since 10.0 and never had a slow down.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #846 of 15,688

Which is my point, don't clutter. 10,000 song files vs 1 file with 10000 songs. The 1 file will be quicker the file size doesn't slow things down much compared to many files in one directory, which might be the reason some see slowdowns on their devices. If not their music file, the cache etc left behind by the device

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #847 of 15,688

Exactly, never any slowdown with Apple, no slowdown “ever” with Sony Linux. No matter how my files are arranged.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #848 of 15,688
for those who have the itch for the new ..... I point you in the direction of this review of the WM1Z / Z1R from one of the best audio magazines in the world.....in 2017....

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sony-nw-wm1z-portable-player-and-mdr-z1r-headphones

I don't think the circle has been reinvented since then.... :L3000:

1646331127750.png

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #849 of 15,688
Father meets Son Part 1 (The Sound)

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

So I went back to Connect-It today to do the Gold vs Gold test as promised. And to be honest, now that I have the actual gold one, listening to the new gold one, I understand the differences all the Japanese reviews were talking about.

Where the WM1Z sounded darker, the WM1ZM2 sounded a tad bit brighter and the soundstage was wider. It felt like a more "accurate" kind of sound while using the IER-Z1R. The treble was most certainly more extended on the WM1ZM2 giving female vocals more of that sweetness. Bass notes reached a little deeper on the WM1ZM2.

Once again, the most impressive thing for me was the layering and positioning. On crowded JPOP and Anisong tracks, I could hear everything firing and know what was going on in my music and my head. Absolutely splendid!

In all, I would describe the new WM1ZM2 as a similar sound but a different flavour.

As for value, if you have no choice to buy the WM1Z anymore in your region, you better start saving up :wink:. However, if you have access to the WM1Z either brand new leftovers or second hand, I would strongly consider it should you not need streaming.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #850 of 15,688
Father meets Son Part 2 (The Body)

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

Physically, the devices are quite different. The hump on the back makes it nice to hold but the new leather finish is very slippery. However, despite the added weight and size, the new design makes it feel somehow lighter compared to my WM1Z.

In all, a case is still needed :)

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #851 of 15,688
Mar 4, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #852 of 15,688
Father meets Son Part 3 (The technical stuffs and Android)

DSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

The battery drops quite fast if you leave the display on while listening to music. I noticed 1% per track if I had the screen on. The interface still was not as snappy as even my old Galaxy Note9 which I use as a spare phone.

As for the USB DAC function, I tried to be a fancy pants and connect one gold to the other gold to test it but it couldn't read so I was stumped.

Additionally, as seen in the second picture, someone already dropped it and there is already a dent. Copper is very soft, coating it in gold was for aesthetics rather than anything else regardless of what Sony says. PLEASE TREAT YOUR LOCAL STORE'S DEMO UNIT WITH CARE, IT'S NOT YOURS UNTIL YOU BUY IT!

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #853 of 15,688
Father meets Son Part 1 (The Sound)

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

So I went back to Connect-It today to do the Gold vs Gold test as promised. And to be honest, now that I have the actual gold one, listening to the new gold one, I understand the differences all the Japanese reviews were talking about.

Where the WM1Z sounded darker, the WM1ZM2 sounded a tad bit brighter and the soundstage was wider. It felt like a more "accurate" kind of sound while using the IER-Z1R. The treble was most certainly more extended on the WM1ZM2 giving female vocals more of that sweetness. Bass notes reached a little deeper on the WM1ZM2.

Once again, the most impressive thing for me was the layering and positioning. On crowded JPOP and Anisong tracks, I could hear everything firing and know what was going on in my music and my head. Absolutely splendid!

In all, I would describe the new WM1ZM2 as a similar sound but a different flavour.

As for value, if you have no choice to buy the WM1Z anymore in your region, you better start saving up :wink:. However, if you have access to the WM1Z either brand new leftovers or second hand, I would strongly consider it should you not need streaming.
....very interesting. Which CFW are you running on the 1ZM1 - I found the 1Z OFW too dark, especially with Z1Rs....but CFW running 1A on the 1Z really offered more accurate details whilst keeping the warmth of the hardware (Kimber et al)

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #854 of 15,688
Father meets Son Part 4 (An Addendum)

DSC_0210.JPG

I would like to bring this @MrWalkman's attention. I would also like to apologise to those who had read my post earlier.

DSD Remastering is treated as a DSP like EQ, Vinyl Processing and DSEE Extreme which means DIRECT mode is turned OFF when DSD Remastering is turned ON.

As for my sound impression on it, it made my weeb tracks softer and more relaxing but they did not feel like weeb songs anymore so I left it off.

As you can see, I tried the WM1AM2 as well so I will be posting my impressions on that later. I'm quite certain what I will say about it will surprise many here.

For now, its time for some munchies 🍢

Mar 4, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #855 of 15,688
....very interesting. Which CFW are you running on the 1ZM1 - I found the 1Z OFW too dark, especially with Z1Rs....but CFW running 1A on the 1Z really offered more accurate details whilst keeping the warmth of the hardware (Kimber et al)
I was running the 1Z on MrWalkman but original sound tuning so I could do a pure apples to apples test, as accurate as it can be I guess.

I agree with you that 1Z OFW is quite dark but paired with my moondrop blessing2, dark harman neutral is just super sweet and truly, music to my ears!

Nonetheless, you are probably right that I could get quite close to the 1ZM2 with 1A firmware on the 1Z.

I'm not really gonna do anymore listening today already, I will try that another day and let you know haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back