SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #811 of 15,910
How many big Android updates will there be, before the hardware (in the Sony DAP) will not accept any more? They only allow a limited number of updates before the operating system is obsolete.
Which clearly is one of the reasons why, for now, I got me a wm1z and will wait for more about the wm1zm2 before even considering anything.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #813 of 15,910
Was just done auditioning the WM1A M2. Don't ask me to compare it to the OG version as I don't have 1 and never heard it.

My quick impressions - impressive (huge) soundstage width and height. Just auditioned the M11 + ESS last weekend and this sounds more musical. Found myself tapping my feet more here. The Walkman app never read my microSD card even after multiple restarts and database refresh - but default Android File Browser app was able to read my microSD just fine.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #814 of 15,910
Was just done auditioning the WM1A M2. Don't ask me to compare it to the OG version as I don't have 1 and never heard it.

My quick impressions - impressive (huge) soundstage width and height. Just auditioned the M11 + ESS last weekend and this sounds more musical. Found myself tapping my feet more here. The Walkman app never read my microSD card even after multiple restarts and database refresh - but default Android File Browser app was able to read my microSD just fine.
As for why the W.Music App never read your music I can explain. You must put all your music folders in a file named "MUSIC" for W.Music to read.

As for its musicality, there are no guesses as to why I love the WM1 series so much I bought the Z eventuality.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #815 of 15,910

Sony requires your music to be inside a root folder on the card called music

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #816 of 15,910
As for why the W.Music App never read your music I can explain. You must put all your music folders in a file named "MUSIC" for W.Music to read.

As for its musicality, there are no guesses as to why I love the WM1 series so much I bought the Z eventuality.
Sony requires your music to be inside a root folder on the card called music

Got it! Thanks for explaining! 👍🏼

I liked the device, but I demoed another dap that pairs, imho, much better with my current gear. So went with another dap instead.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #817 of 15,910
20220302_154509.jpg

20220302_153954.jpg

20220302_153847.jpg

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #818 of 15,910
Got it! Thanks for explaining! 👍🏼

I liked the device, but I demoed another dap that pairs, imho, much better with my current gear. So went with another dap instead.
May I know what DAP you chose in the end? I am curious as to per what you chose as an alternative to the WM1AM2. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #819 of 15,910
May I know what DAP you chose in the end? I am curious as to per what you chose as an alternative to the WM1AM2. Thanks!

I chose the AK SE180 (w/ SEM 1) instead. To my ears, it has the best pairing with my ESR MK2s.

If the WM1A M2 pushed musicality into the ESRs, the SE180 pumped it in another level (to my ears). More lively, more engaging.

If the WM1A M2 got my feet tapping, the SE180 got my feet tapping and my head bobbing.

But the WM1A M2 wins hands down on functionality due to it's full Android OS. AK's interface is pretty much closed. I was also evaluating this if I really need the full Android experience on my DAP - realizing no, because I have my phone for that.

I'd give soundstage width and height to the WM1A M2, but just by a pinch

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #820 of 15,910
I chose the AK SE180 (w/ SEM 1) instead. To my ears, it has the best pairing with my ESR MK2s.

If the WM1A M2 pushed musicality into the ESRs, the SE180 pumped it in another level (to my ears). More lively, more engaging.

If the WM1A M2 got my feet tapping, the SE180 got my feet tapping and my head bobbing.

But the WM1A M2 wins hands down on functionality due to it's full Android OS. AK's interface is pretty much closed. I was also evaluating this if I really need the full Android experience on my DAP - realizing no, because I have my phone for that.

I'd give soundstage width and height to the WM1A M2, but just by a pinch
Before you buy, try the SP2000T, King of musicality, I cant wait to try the 1Zm2.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #822 of 15,910
B62B825B-32EB-4CE8-938E-F7B0EFCC79E9.jpeg

They seem to make software which is above the ability for the old software to run, basically making the old software obsolete. Thus you are required to buy a new device due to the fact that your old operating system does not allow any future updates. Apple products do exactly the same thing where after a few updates the original software is not upgradable thus forcing you to buy a new phone in order to run the latest software.
But...that is common sense if you use computers or should be. You need to clear out unneeded stuff, you want, if possible, keep 10% of the disc space unused, and old hardware will eventually stop getting updates and need new hardware

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #825 of 15,910
Here in Portugal the only way to try the Sony is by buying it... Is sad but it's true, if that possibility does not exist (the uncapp) I will never buy it
There has been no mention anywhere about anybody being able to remove the cap on the ZX507 so it’s unlikely that it will be removeable on these either

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back