SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #752 of 15,818
DAPS like this show that CD sound quality is far from audiophile.
CD quality is perfectly fine, hires to me just gives very small but still meaningfull improvements most of the time but wether that is as a result of hires or remastering is another matter

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #753 of 15,818
I would like to counter-argue that CD quality is probably the start of "audiophilic" sound quality.

But I think we shouldn't gatekeep what quality an audiophile should use. After all, many of us here use Tidal and Spotify and as we know, MQA is lossy and arguably even worse than CD quality. MP3 is also lossy but no one can argue that it is the most accessible and convenient.

Music quality while not subjective, shouldn't be a point to determine whether one is an audiophile. If you enjoy music, just enjoy it how you like it. :)

P.S. No hate intended to MQA or MP3 or any streaming services.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #754 of 15,818
Did anyone confirmed for sure if the new MK2’s won’t bypass the Android audio processing?

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #755 of 15,818
Feb 24, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #756 of 15,818
Did anyone confirmed for sure if the new MK2’s won’t bypass the Android audio processing?

I'm not sure it has been verified but the published literature indicates the same audio paths as A100 and ZX500 series for 3rd party apps (which do not bypass SRC). UAPP appears to work, but without MQA rendering.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #758 of 15,818
Streaming and web technology is mostly interested with compression and inferencing as a way to reduce bandwidth usage. That is why we have formats like .opus and .webp

It makes sense that for streaming media there will be formats which can deliver performance greater than mp3 with size below flac. At the same time that media quality is being re-engineered in compression land, DAPS are getting quite remarkable in performance.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #759 of 15,818
LOL, with ky Dmp-z1 i can make CD sound spectacular with either DSEE AI or with DSD-remaster.

Btw you disnt reply anymore to the pm of japan se SACD after i told you that i have CDs that sound equally as good or better for these Bach work you mentioned

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #760 of 15,818
LOL, with ky Dmp-z1 i can make CD sound spectacular with either DSEE AI or with DSD-remaster.

Btw you disnt reply anymore to the pm of japan se SACD after i told you that i have CDs that sound equally as good or better for these Bach work you mentioned

Yeah mastering makes a big difference but that can be subjective and vary depending on personal preference. Objectively redbook specs are dated compared to modern audiophile formats. But it is true, remastering has a bit of magic

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #761 of 15,818
I wanted to ask, those of you with a DMP-Z1, do any of you enable DSEE AI or any other signal process to improve the sound, specially with sub High Res files. I listen to a ton of radio stations which sound compress via TuneIn app, I would like to make more use of this Upscale AI. Main reason why I have not gone ahead and purchased a SP2000T, I would like a better sounding signal and less compressed.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #762 of 15,818
Time to call out the big elephant in the room
I don't consider this any upgrade, in fact I considered it as laziness.

1-They threw away the old operating system instead of updating it. Wasn't this a main point in keeping the old system (battery& privacy), to stay away from Android?

How many years did they have to refine it? How many!
They could have updated thier old OS, and had a dual operating system, like ibasso does..

2- how many years did they have to upgrade the Dac chip, to give it more power output? Instead of just implementing with refined parts. The competitors in this price market are almost 10X more power output!

3-Do we really need gold in any part of the unit? A metal that has less conductivity than copper and silver and steel? Are you gonna sell me on upgrade parts quality alone?

The biggest strength of the Sony series, to me, was its realistic natural, analog and holographic sound, but that was a long time ago.
Competition now. The Wm1a series now seems like a "one-shot" wonder.
RIP SONY.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #763 of 15,818
I wanted to ask, those of you with a DMP-Z1, do any of you enable DSEE AI or any other signal process to improve the sound, specially with sub High Res files. I listen to a ton of radio stations which sound compress via TuneIn app, I would like to make more use of this Upscale AI. Main reason why I have not gone ahead and purchased a SP2000T, I would like a better sounding signal and less compressed.
Yes, I use DSEE AI when listening to dj sets and mixes through TuneIn on my DMP in DAC mode, or on my A105 dap. Works pretty well, but I wouldn’t say it’s like a night and day improvement. Still, it sounds great and I prefer it to direct stream :)

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #764 of 15,818
Yes, I use DSEE AI when listening to dj sets and mixes through TuneIn on my DMP in DAC mode, or on my A105 dap. Works pretty well, but I wouldn’t say it’s like a night and day improvement. Still, it sounds great and I prefer it to direct stream :)
Is Direct Stream sony's BitPerfect?

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #765 of 15,818
Is Direct Stream sony's BitPerfect?
Depends on what you mean by bit perfect but it is the setting that does not apply any dsp or other sound manipulation effects and is called Source direct in settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back