SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #376 of 15,604
I stream audio from my Samsung Galaxy S10e. It has LDAC. There may be losses when comparing native streaming vs. BT streaming, but to me the sound is perfect.

If I'd be on the go, I'd have to create a hotspot for the ZX507. Instead, I just use BT Receiver and I stream directly from the internet source/smartphone.

I don't do this a lot, but it works really good when I do it.

Thank you for the courteous reply Mr. Walkman. I live in the Apple universe, so if I do the same thing I will be streaming BT in AAC. As I understand AAC is more lossy than LDAC. I will give it a try. Thank you for the info.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #377 of 15,604
If you don't mind me asking, can you describe your set up? What device are you using to stream to the 1Z? Is it streaming in LDAC? Is there any loss when streaming BT versus WiFi?
I do a similar thing but from an iPhone or iPad so only aac but it still sounds very good though I slmost only do this for movie watching and not much for music streaming

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #378 of 15,604
For those who are doubting that they need a Sony android streaming device, all I can say is I was in the same boat until I bought the zx-507. It runs a different version of android but pretty much works the same as the new Daps. It was a game changer for me. Using UAPP and streaming Tidal MQA, the music sounds wonderful. I have thousands of redbook and hi-res music files of which many I transferred to my 1TB microSD card in the 507. I have found that I am often not listening to the stored files. But rather am streaming Tidal and listening to internet radio via ad free Radiogram. When not near a WiFi source, I hotspot on my iPhone 13 pro max. Tidal has so much music now compared to 2 years ago. And a lot of it is streaming Master as MQA. In addition Tidal is so much more than soul, rap and auto tuning voice music than it was when it was first launched. There is so much music now that nobody has enough time left to live to hear it all. I have a WM1Z with 1TB of mostly DSD and 24-96/192 files. I use Audio Technica WP-900 wood headphones which is a match made in heaven with the 1Z. Sure it sounds better than my ZX-507 with Z5 IEM's, but it does not stream. I find myself listening to my zx-507 almost exclusively these days due to its ability to stream. Love the zx-507 due to its form factor of light weight and small size for being on the go. But I have to say I am very intrigued with the idea of having something that is as good sounding as my 1Z that also streams. And has better battery life than my 507 which is terrible. Lol.

I understand that UAPP uses the high-quality audio path on the A100 and ZX500 series unlike other 3rd party apps (which are force resampled to 48 kHz or 192 kHz). Does anyone know if MQA rendering is taking place? Looking at UAPP, it is authenticating and doing the first unfold, but there is no indication that Sony DAPs are completing the unfold process (rendering). I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that only the Sony app is actually unfolding/decoding MQA. I'm guessing the M2's are similar.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #379 of 15,604
I do a similar thing but from an iPhone or iPad so only aac but it still sounds very good though I slmost only do this for movie watching and not much for music streaming

All I can do it give it a try. I will compare streaming Tidal to the 1Z via AAC from the iPhone and streaming Tidal through UAPP on the 507 using WiFi. Different players with different headphones make it like apples and oranges, but will be interesting to see what they sound like in comparison. Thank you for sharing.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #381 of 15,604
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #382 of 15,604
Despite the Android thing, the WM1ZM2 would be interesting, with the new FTCAP 3 caps at least - probably plus their improved software sound sauce.

DSD Remastering is also interesting. I may sound paranoid or something, but I think that DSD Remastering also contains some form of sound processing except just converting PCM to DSD.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #383 of 15,604
Despite the Android thing, the WM1ZM2 would be interesting, with the new FTCAP 3 caps at least - probably plus their improved software sound sauce.

DSD Remastering is also interesting. I may sound paranoid or something, but I think that DSD Remastering also contains some form of sound processing except just converting PCM to DSD.
Don't you mean the 1AM2?

The only change between the 1AM2 and 1ZM2 is the 1ZM2 has Kimber Kable, Copper Chassis and double the flash. The Kimber Kable and copper chassis might provide subtle changes. But at ~$2,600 more I can't see why anyone would buy it and I have a 1Z.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #384 of 15,604
The only change between the 1AM2 and 1ZM2 is the 1ZM2 has Kimber Kable, Copper Chassis and double the flash. The Kimber Kable and copper chassis might provide subtle changes. But at ~$2,600 more I can't see why anyone would buy it and I have a 1Z.

As I was saying, from the experiences with stuff like WM1A with the WM1Z sound, or A55 just sounding much better with the WM1A/Z firmware, they probably did something similar with the 1A vs. 1Z M2.

As mods won't probably come too soon, I'd guess a WM1ZM2 would be something to consider. I realize it's pretty expensive, and I'd probably have to take a bank loan or something though :sweat_smile:

Will see in a couple of months. Depending on further reviews and people sharing their experiences, I could also just go with the full Nayparm treatment. I just like the idea of DSD Remastering (from Sony) and how good (most probably) will the 1ZM2 sound be. Hardware mods for the 1A/Z M2 would also be something, though I'm curious how the FTCAP3 caps are like.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #385 of 15,604
I am genuinly curious of how 1ZM2 will rank in hands of more objective minded owners/reviewers in western market who will neither bash it for rubbish stats on paper, nor will praise the living crap out of it because the only thing they owned along these year was outdated Sony daps.
Amen. Personally I'm holding out for comparisons with similarly-priced DAPs from the competition.

Funny thing about this hobby is it can be easier putting a piece of gear into context by comparing it to something else. Ironically that's also when the hype train often leaves the station: "OMG this thing is easily 50% better than my brother's second-cousin's SP2000 I heard for 5 minutes at a crowded party last year!11!1!"

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #386 of 15,604
If it's capped it should be cheaper.

'and up to 17 hours of battery life', Thought it was nearer 40hrs?
40hrs for mp3 or 24/96flac in the Sony Music app. If using a streaming app like Tidal thats the 17hrs.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #387 of 15,604
I understand that UAPP uses the high-quality audio path on the A100 and ZX500 series unlike other 3rd party apps (which are force resampled to 48 kHz or 192 kHz). Does anyone know if MQA rendering is taking place? Looking at UAPP, it is authenticating and doing the first unfold, but there is no indication that Sony DAPs are completing the unfold process (rendering). I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that only the Sony app is actually unfolding/decoding MQA. I'm guessing the M2's are similar.
1st unfold only if you paid for the optional MQA support (I did).

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #388 of 15,604
Don't you mean the 1AM2?

Bling/bragging effect.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #389 of 15,604
1st unfold only if you paid for the optional MQA support (I did).
Understood, I have paid for it as well. I must say that the streaming implementation on Sony Android DAPs is quite disappointing. Maybe they will up their game at some point.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #390 of 15,604
Understood, I have paid for it as well. I must say that the streaming implementation on Sony Android DAPs is quite disappointing. Maybe they will up their game at some point.
I ripped some MQA and compared in Walkman Music app playing full unfold, in UAPP/Tidal streaming and also with Tidal App in 24/192 mode and honestly wouldn't be able to differentiate in a blind test (when I had a ZX507).

I also had a Hiby with full bit-perfect streaming, preffered the Sony sound.

If you only use Spotify keep at 24/48 or if Tidal AmazonHD at 24/192 mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back