SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #361 of 15,518
BT works well and easily with the 1Z as well…

A389725B-E8AB-4118-A018-3504A605050A.jpeg

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #362 of 15,518
For UK members, Amazon.co.uk went live with pre-orders.

Got mine in to give it a try. Easy to return to Amazon if the volume limit is ridiculous.

They are listing at £1,299.00 This item is due to be released on April 15, 2022.

Can't see the Z version but that's way too much for what I'd justify buying.

Arriving 21 Apr 2022

:relaxed:

Sony NW-WM1AM2 - Walkman Digital Music Player with High-Resolution with Android 11, Touch Screen, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi - Black
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£1,299.00
Condition: New

Note: Also on Amazon.co.jp but as usual will not ship to UK.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #363 of 15,518

Got mine in. Easy to return to Amazon if the volume limit is ridiculous.

They are listing at £1,299.00 This item is due to be released on April 15, 2022.

Arriving 21 Apr 2022

Sony NW-WM1AM2 - Walkman Digital Music Player with High-Resolution with Android 11, Touch Screen, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi - Black

£1,299.00

Curious about 1ZM2 price

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #364 of 15,518
According to this article, Class D amplifications can reach 90% efficiency Vs Class A which is 30% and AB of 60%.

So, when you put it into perspective, something that requires 500mW to operate properly by class A, then Sony Class D only needs approximately 150mW. The same as with something that requires 1000mW in class A, then Sony only needs about 300mW.

Then there will be linearity VS then impedances curves from the attached loads. It depends, but some headphones love voltage and some do currents. The Output stage of M2 is capable of at the least 3X more current delivery than the last generation. We also have reports that at the same setting, the M2 is louder than M1.

I would say that the M2 is more powerful than the last generations, but at which references that Sony rated their output is unknown. I remember Sony mentioned that under their design, the impedances is not a factor.

Also keeps in mind the quote “Class D amplifiers are significantly less efficient when operated below the peak rated power.” Therefore, the rating of low power output is actually thought of and considered by Sony team to optimize with many different IEMs, and possibly with their current flagship full sizes MDR Z1R ?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #365 of 15,518

Got mine in to give it a try. Easy to return to Amazon if the volume limit is ridiculous.

Arriving 21 Apr 2022

£1,299.00

If it's capped it should be cheaper.

'and up to 17 hours of battery life', Thought it was nearer 40hrs?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #366 of 15,518
If it's capped it should be cheaper.

'and up to 17 hours of battery life', Thought it was nearer 40hrs?
Won’t be cheaper

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #368 of 15,518
They never are. Though usually after a few months the price drops on Amazon.
I got all my Signature units reduced as I got them all as Amazon Warehouse items

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #369 of 15,518
For those who are doubting that they need a Sony android streaming device, all I can say is I was in the same boat until I bought the zx-507. It runs a different version of android but pretty much works the same as the new Daps. It was a game changer for me. Using UAPP and streaming Tidal MQA, the music sounds wonderful. I have thousands of redbook and hi-res music files of which many I transferred to my 1TB microSD card in the 507. I have found that I am often not listening to the stored files. But rather am streaming Tidal and listening to internet radio via ad free Radiogram. When not near a WiFi source, I hotspot on my iPhone 13 pro max. Tidal has so much music now compared to 2 years ago. And a lot of it is streaming Master as MQA. In addition Tidal is so much more than soul, rap and auto tuning voice music than it was when it was first launched. There is so much music now that nobody has enough time left to live to hear it all. I have a WM1Z with 1TB of mostly DSD and 24-96/192 files. I use Audio Technica WP-900 wood headphones which is a match made in heaven with the 1Z. Sure it sounds better than my ZX-507 with Z5 IEM's, but it does not stream. I find myself listening to my zx-507 almost exclusively these days due to its ability to stream. Love the zx-507 due to its form factor of light weight and small size for being on the go. But I have to say I am very intrigued with the idea of having something that is as good sounding as my 1Z that also streams. And has better battery life than my 507 which is terrible. Lol.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #370 of 15,518
For those who are doubting that they need a Sony android streaming device, all I can say is I was in the same boat until I bought the zx-507. It runs a different version of android but pretty much works the same as the new Daps. It was a game changer for me. Using UAPP and streaming Tidal MQA, the music sounds wonderful. I have thousands of redbook and hi-res music files of which many I transferred to my 1TB microSD card in the 507. I have found that I am often not listening to the stored files. But rather am streaming Tidal and listening to internet radio via ad free Radiogram. When not near a WiFi source, I hotspot on my iPhone 13 pro max. Tidal has so much music now compared to 2 years ago. And a lot of it is streaming Master as MQA. In addition Tidal is so much more than soul, rap and auto tuning voice music than it was when it was first launched. There is so much music now that nobody has enough time left to live to hear it all. I have a WM1Z with 1TB of mostly DSD and 24-96/192 files. I use Audio Technica WP-900 wood headphones which is a match made in heaven with the 1Z. Sure it sounds better than my ZX-507 with Z5 IEM's, but it does not stream. I find myself listening to my zx-507 almost exclusively these days due to its ability to stream. Love the zx-507 due to its form factor of light weight and small size for being on the go. But I have to say I am very intrigued with the idea of having something that is as good sounding as my 1Z that also streams. And has better battery life than my 507 which is terrible. Lol.

I just use the BT Receiver function for that :D

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #372 of 15,518
No desire to ever do streaming, so no need for Android and all its bloat.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #373 of 15,518
If you don't mind me asking, can you describe your set up? What device are you using to stream to the 1Z? Is it streaming in LDAC? Is there any loss when streaming BT versus WiFi?

I stream audio from my Samsung Galaxy S10e. It has LDAC. There may be losses when comparing native streaming vs. BT streaming, but to me the sound is perfect.

If I'd be on the go, I'd have to create a hotspot for the ZX507. Instead, I just use BT Receiver and I stream directly from the internet source/smartphone.

I don't do this a lot, but it works really good when I do it.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #374 of 15,518
I stream audio from my Samsung Galaxy S10e. It has LDAC. There may be losses when comparing native streaming vs. BT streaming, but to me the sound is perfect.

If I'd be on the go, I'd have to create a hotspot for the ZX507. Instead, I just use BT Receiver and I stream directly from the internet source/smartphone.

I don't do this a lot, but it works really good when I do it.
So streaming on the MK2's is really only good for those who don't have a large collection of music they own and are someplace with internet access. So how are you going to stream when traveling with the MK2's? Like MrWalkman said you'll need to use your phone as a mobile hot spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back