SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 30, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #11,435 of 15,646
By the way, i used the ""schock"" method (closing the cover relatively hart or softly hitting the back of the walkman to make the relays moving) roghly 3-4 times now and since the last time, it just works.

Left and Right side are balanced now no matter how hard i force to try it to be unbalanced by switiching headphone/earphone ports and so on. Since a few days now.

I'll observe if anything changes but it seems for now that, whatever caused this issue, is gone.

May 30, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #11,436 of 15,646
my problem is I transferred music from apple music on a mac ripped years ago and a huge amount of album art is missing.
the jpg must have the same name of the actual album folder.

I'll observe if anything changes but it seems for now that, whatever caused this issue, is gone.
if you are closer to the dealer i would bring this device to them - you may get a new one instead.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #11,437 of 15,646
Hello

Looking for advice on how to improve the sound quality of the Sony 1zm2 USB DAC mode sound quality.
I still have only 160 hours on my 1zm2. Using the 4.4mm output and playing back directly from microSD
sounds pretty good. However, using JRiver 31 with the ASIO driver or Kernal Streaming sounds veiled and sluggish.
Tried it with several IEMs that are aggressive sounding like the Noble Khan, 64 Audio Forte Blanc. No Sony
filters or dsp active.

I am loading the music files entirely into memory and using a dedicated gaming laptop with 14 i7 cores and
3070 Ti GPU with 32 Gb of RAM. There is no problem with lack of CPU, it barely moves at peak levels to 6%.
Using HQPlayer with Sinc-M and CUDA it barely gets up to 8% for more than a second.

Other dongle DACs, Hugos, all sound great. But the Sony sounds slightly muted and very laid back. I have tried
a number of different direct and indirect driver connections, but nothing seems to make an acceptable level
of improvement.

Using music players in USB DAC mode allows me to use HQPlayer with 16 million taps and it sounds great with
may of my DACs and DAPs, but the Sony is very different in USB DAC mode vs using from microSD memory.
Any suggestions for a better interface?

I am beginning to suspect that the Sony microprocessor or other hardware limitations is the cause, but like
to know if anyone has found a way to get the USB DAC mode to sound the same as onboard microSD.

Thanks

S.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #11,438 of 15,646
In search of new 1TB card…came across Sabrent Rocket V30— anyone using this? Looks to be good bang for buck. Do use Sabrent NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD in PC flawlessly.

May 30, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #11,439 of 15,646
In search of new 1TB card…came across Sabrent Rocket V30— anyone using this? Looks to be good bang for buck. Do use Sabrent NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD in PC flawlessly.
for this price range i would recommend - as many others here - sandisk extreme pro (the new one with the better controller, so 200 mb reading speed).

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #11,440 of 15,646
Art work has been fixed by removing chip from the wm1am2 and using my MacBook pro with a editing app called Meta. I was worried because the micro sd chip was formatted in the Sony mw1am2 but it worked great. A bit tedious took about 12 hours going as fast as I could, most art 90% popped up automatically from Discogs but now I have vibrant art for every album. I am no computer wiz this was first time editing music files other than using iTunes.
Thank you

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #11,441 of 15,646
Art work has been fixed by removing chip from the wm1am2 and using my MacBook pro with a editing app called Meta. I was worried because the micro sd chip was formatted in the Sony mw1am2 but it worked great. A bit tedious took about 12 hours going as fast as I could, most art 90% popped up automatically from Discogs but now I have vibrant art for every album. I am no computer wiz this was first time editing music files other than using iTunes.
Thank you
Glad you got it sorted. It seems that meta app does indeed write the album art directly into the files as a tag just as dbPowerAmp does. As such I guess you don't need the artwork in each folder. That more of a windows rather than mac thing I think.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #11,442 of 15,646
for this price range i would recommend - as many others here - sandisk extreme pro (the new one with the better controller, so 200 mb reading speed).
Hi just curious in your sig you have the sony WF 1000XM5 ? is it already released? really interested to get it as well 😅

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #11,443 of 15,646
Hi just curious in your sig you have the sony WF 1000XM5 ? is it already released? really interested to get it as well 😅
WH I meant :).

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #11,444 of 15,646
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #11,445 of 15,646
Phenomenal pairing with Campfire Trifecta. Those luscious mids and vertical stage 🥰

IMG_1206.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back