SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 4, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #11,461 of 15,620
Hi guys, long time lurker here.

I've used the WM1ZM2 for quite a while now and notice that there's a delay in sound transmission when used as a USB DAP through my MSI GS77 Stealth.

I've also debloated the software as per Sonywalkmanuser's guide.

Does anyone have any solution to this? I've read most of this thread, but it seems that not much can be done.

Thanks a lot!
AFAIK, almost DAPs face a delay when in USB DAC mode due to the buffer in the hardware, and it seems that you cannot fix it. I always use a dongle or portable DAC when want to connect to an external source.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #11,462 of 15,620
1685857300345.png

Been using different headphones on this, Utopia, HD800, ADX5K, HD580, Auteur, etc., and so far only the HEK struggled at low gain.

1685857321963.png

I had to use 120/120 at low gain in some tracks even those that were mixed at a higher db. At high gain bal out, this was not an issue, my max was around 90~100/120. This is far cry from the SP2000 as I had to crank to max 150 for the HEK, and it sounded I was hitting some distortion in the sub-bass. Never had this happened on the WM1AM2, and this makes me glad I bought the uncapped version. I'm wondering how this fares with a Sus or HE6 og. Since I'm planning to get a Sus in the future to replace my HEKv2. Although I'd probably still use a portable amp for it since that thing plays better with more current.

Also I need to fix my album art via the Sony Music Center on PC it seems. Some albums don't show the art like that one from Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #11,463 of 15,620
thanks for sharing
I have the z1m2 and the hekv2 too , hekse usually goes between 75 and 100 low gain depending on music/conditions and plays at top/reference level , hekv2 as you noted near 120 high gain and play a bit better from V281 amp ( lack in dynamics a main issue )
I guess susvara will need something like a kann max or ampersand ( or similar if you mind just the amp )

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #11,464 of 15,620
1685857300345.png

Been using different headphones on this, Utopia, HD800, ADX5K, HD580, Auteur, etc., and so far only the HEK struggled at low gain.

1685857321963.png

I had to use 120/120 at low gain in some tracks even those that were mixed at a higher db. At high gain bal out, this was not an issue, my max was around 90~100/120. This is far cry from the SP2000 as I had to crank to max 150 for the HEK, and it sounded I was hitting some distortion in the sub-bass. Never had this happened on the WM1AM2, and this makes me glad I bought the uncapped version. I'm wondering how this fares with a Sus or HE6 og. Since I'm planning to get a Sus in the future to replace my HEKv2. Although I'd probably still use a portable amp for it since that thing plays better with more current.

Also I need to fix my album art via the Sony Music Center on PC it seems. Some albums don't show the art like that one from Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls.
should be plenty to drive the zmf atrium Closed

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #11,465 of 15,620
Jun 4, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #11,466 of 15,620
thanks for sharing
I have the z1m2 and the hekv2 too , hekse usually goes between 75 and 100 low gain depending on music/conditions and plays at top/reference level , hekv2 as you noted near 120 high gain and play a bit better from V281 amp ( lack in dynamics a main issue )
I guess susvara will need something like a kann max or ampersand ( or similar if you mind just the amp )

It's excellent to hear that I'm not the only one driving Hifimans with a WM1AM2 or WM1ZM2. I listen with arya stealths and I don't usually need to go above 75 out of 120 volume; The stealths are more efficient than previous versions at 94dB/mW. I gave up desktop gear a while ago, so the only thing I have to compare with is an iBasso DX300 with amp12, but the Sony doesn't seem to struggle at all.
@boodi ,@Zerviscos , I get a little confused with the various he1000 versions, so how sensitive are the versions which you have?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #11,467 of 15,620
Im using tidal and its annoying the hell out of me.

I use it offline for 95% of the time. I download the albums on the sd card and listen whenever I want.
The thing is: Sometimes I reach to an album and it shows the screen "no connection. tap to refresh" or if I use offline mode the albums wont load up, followed by a pop-up that says the offline page could not be found.

So I have to turn wifi on, connect, reach for the album I want, start listening and then turn wifi off to save battery.

Is my sd card broken? Anyone experiencing that?
Have thia iSSUEe with my ZX507 all the time. I always figured it was a memory issue with the DAP, Unfortunately. Never was able to simply fix. I would have to go online, open up every album while online so it would essentially load every album page. Aftwr a couple months, the same issue would always occur 😪

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #11,468 of 15,620
It's excellent to hear that I'm not the only one driving Hifimans with a WM1AM2 or WM1ZM2. I listen with arya stealths and I don't usually need to go above 75 out of 120 volume; The stealths are more efficient than previous versions at 94dB/mW. I gave up desktop gear a while ago, so the only thing I have to compare with is an iBasso DX300 with amp12, but the Sony doesn't seem to struggle at all.
@boodi ,@Zerviscos , I get a little confused with the various he1000 versions, so how sensitive are the versions which you have?
HekV2-stealths and Hekse have full drive from the z1m2 , both run comfortably under 100 ( unless you have louder needs of course ) ; regular v2 ( Hekve-non stealths ) can reach 120 in high-gain , particularly through DSD remastering ; they will remain dinamically flatter then the first twos,..but this happens also with my full rig so..

About sound matching z1m2>hekse = unbelievable in many ways ( competing with desktop rig ) but not particularly for voices ( their usual weakness ) ; z1m2> hekv2v2- stealth = very emotional and interesting , spot on timbre for instrument and voices , quite fatiguing though to me for hot midrange and overall energy/brightness ; z1m2> hekv2 = very good timbrically , less fatiguing then hekv2-stealth and bigger soundtsgae , a bit soft- flat though on the long run

Best match seems to be hekse.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #11,469 of 15,620
Has around 90dB/mW for the HEKv2. Afaik this is next to the Sus and HE-6 in terms of low sensitivity, while the HEKse is more sensitive than the v2 around 94 or 96dB/mW? So both are pretty capable to be driven off the M2. My guess for the Susvara should be able to be driven by the M2 specs-wise as I would normally listen to around 70db+ on avg. But ofc depending on how loud the track is to begin with, I can see it maxing to 120/120 on high gain.

I do think it still retains some good chunk of dynamic range on the M2 for the HEKv2 but not on par with an actual headamp. I'm particularly just curious for the harder hifimans how it would fare. Even if spec-wise it probably can, Sus likes a lot of current.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #11,470 of 15,620
Have thia iSSUEe with my ZX507 all the time. I always figured it was a memory issue with the DAP, Unfortunately. Never was able to simply fix. I would have to go online, open up every album while online so it would essentially load every album page. Aftwr a couple months, the same issue would always occur 😪
Did it also happens to the other streaming platforms?

Im thinking about switching to qobuz, I did a little testing and so far it went well, but I downloaded just a few albums.

Jun 5, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #11,471 of 15,620
Did it also happens to the other streaming platforms?

Im thinking about switching to qobuz, I did a little testing and so far it went well, but I downloaded just a few albums.
How many albums do have you downloaded from Tidal. I have 49 albums downloaded to my device it works perfectly so far, Keeping my fingers crossed.
Do you update data base after downloading from tidal I always do.

Jun 5, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #11,472 of 15,620
Who uses the akg n5005 with the wm1am2, give me your opinion how it goes with the walkman.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #11,474 of 15,620
How many albums do have you downloaded from Tidal. I have 49 albums downloaded to my device it works perfectly so far, Keeping my fingers crossed.
Do you update data base after downloading from tidal I always do.
I have more than that for sure.

How do you the update?

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #11,475 of 15,620
My 1AM2 has recently arrived and it's quite wonderful. Listening with Apple Music and using Wavelet auto EQ. Are there any other apps or tips I can follow to get the most out of this device? Already looked into debloating and optimizing the device but I'm wondering if there's anything else that could prove beneficial. Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back