SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #7,696 of 15,721
Well everyone has their own likings and dislikes.
Some prefer more intimate soundstage, some prefer wide soundstage.
Some prefer binuaral/crossfeed/spatial sound, while others prefer regular stereo imaging.
Some demand their music to be bit perfect, while others enjoy the added sound processing.
Some use EQ to alter the sound of their headphone, some prefer not to.
Some like more Analog, Richer tone while others prefer Fast Dynamic sound.
Some prefer warmer sound while others prefer crystal sharp sound.

No right or wrongs about it. Buy what you can afford and like. If you can't afford, go for second hand or save up.

Just don't be the unlucky people that have the curse and can hear that tiny differences in tone/pitch/timing between equipment. Ignorance is bliss they say.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #7,699 of 15,721
Well everyone has their own likings and dislikes.
Some prefer more intimate soundstage, some prefer wide soundstage.
Some prefer binuaral/crossfeed/spatial sound, while others prefer regular stereo imaging.
Some demand their music to be bit perfect, while others enjoy the added sound processing.
Some use EQ to alter the sound of their headphone, some prefer not to.
Some like more Analog, Richer tone while others prefer Fast Dynamic sound.
Some prefer warmer sound while others prefer crystal sharp sound.

No right or wrongs about it. Buy what you can afford and like. If you can't afford, go for second hand or save up.

Just don't be the unlucky people that have the curse and can hear that tiny differences in tone/pitch/timing between equipment. Ignorance is bliss they say.
Preferences will change over times, because people move on with newer experiences, and so on. Because music is not paintings arts. We are talking about technological advancements behind these engineerings and design, acoustic tunings. Therefore, the more someone experiencing with a variety of systems, the more their benchmarks are going to be. For many others, they either want to buy one device that fit their criteria’s and forget about the technology advancements from other brands for many years, careless about the little differences. Keep in mind that they can tell the differences, they just don’t mind it, and in some case could have been negative to themselves.

For all that said, I would think that people who upgrade or move on from 1A to 1Z is because they were mindful about their spending, but rather that they have leveled up, or simply put preferences have changed ? Who knows

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #7,701 of 15,721
ww3? oh no! then how will i consume new products???
Well, if the global apocalypse would happen, and if the archeologists were right, then everything would have turned to dust, to molten lava, or to glasses 😳. The once advanced intelligent being would have been wiped off clean. The earth will restart. Whether it would be human again…or what else…no one know

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #7,702 of 15,721
In my life I always searched for performance/cost ratio, so I think wm1a2 is my endgame. It's much more than I ever spent for a DAP. I dont regret, it's an exceptional machine, and it's a Sony, I always wanted a Sony Dap. And I prefer rock and metal music, so if you say m1a2 is faster in its transients, I'm also happier !

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #7,704 of 15,721
On the topic of transients, it is important to note that having fast transients is one thing, there are other implementations which also offer fast transients, like in Chord dacs and in most ESS Sabre implementations. However to my ears, there is a very fine line between sharp transient and overbearing transients. Sony has managed to keep the transients tight but at the same time do not pierce my ears. I would say this is the most critical aspect of the sound which alot of dac/dap don't get it right, they tout high Signal to Noise Ratio but in the end creates a dac/dap that bleeds the ears or sound so dynamic that it becomes easily fatiguing(though the headphone/iem synergy comes to play here).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #7,705 of 15,721
Well, if the global apocalypse would happen, and if the archeologists were right, then everything would have turned to dust, to molten lava, or to glasses 😳. The once advanced intelligent being would have been wiped off clean. The earth will restart. Whether it would be human again…or what else…no one know
do you think aliens will release wm1zm3?

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #7,706 of 15,721
Hope my AM2 lasts 12 years, after a battery swap or two.

My ZX2 still works after 7years, still plays offline files perfectly fine.

But at you sure you won't want WM1AM4?(asking in the future)

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #7,707 of 15,721
You are right, that the chase for Audio perfection can be viewed as a senseless pursuit. But we still do it anyways, and perversely enjoy it. Regarding magic, yes, I do believe magic is possible, when everything falls into place, there is no moon, and the system/music becomes magical. I want to enjoy that when it happens, and don't need to measure or verify, or question that it cannot be happening. Nor do I want to, as the act of doing that would destroy it. Magic does not exist if you do not believe in it.

I'm sorry that you have no place for magic, and also envy that you have all the answers, and have no need for it's existence, nor any need to question your beliefs, as your Science is a jealous god, that does not allow for the existence of other gods.

For me, a world without magic is pretty dry.... but hey, as long as we are both happy, that is all that matters. You are happy with your god, and I am happy with mine.

For me, given a choice of the 2 ways, I will choose magic. So no need to feel sorry for me, or worry that you need to protect me from my subjective and unscientific beliefs. I am blissfully happy in my ignorance. I also want to reassure you that I do come from a science based background, and have some familiarity with it, but choose to apply that selectively for this audio hobby. The hobby is more interesting when magic is a component. Knowing all the answers would be very boring. Also, I've already gone through that stage earlier in life.
On this deeply philosophical topic:

This quote is from a game I had played about 20years ago, looking at what I am doing in this audiophile religion, makes sense now:

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

https://alphacentauri.fandom.com/wiki/For_I_Have_Tasted_The_Fruit

“I think, therefore I am”​

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #7,708 of 15,721
Except I started with the 1ZM2 and happier with the 1AM2 :scream: :smile:

No craving at all from me, but then I'd never buy a Rolex to tell time either and those things can actually increase in value.

Mental magic alone can drive you to listen to the £3K+ DAP over the £1K+ DAP, especially if paid out your own pocket!

PS. I don't think I'm the only one that prefers the A over the Z (ignoring price).

After all the years on here I think often with some it's about the collecting, testing, treating oneself and ...

Often difference/variation rather than better and very dependent on IEM's/ears/preferences too.
But wasn't your 1ZM2 the EU capped version? Have you heard an uncapped 1ZM2?

Nov 15, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #7,709 of 15,721
In my life I always searched for performance/cost ratio, so I think wm1a2 is my endgame. It's much more than I ever spent for a DAP. I dont regret, it's an exceptional machine, and it's a Sony, I always wanted a Sony Dap. And I prefer rock and metal music, so if you say m1a2 is faster in its transients, I'm also happier !
1AM2 is great for your music taste.
If it is live rock performance, 1ZM2 might make you think twice.

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #7,710 of 15,721
I am using 1AM2 with Oriolus BA300s, they make me feel like between 1AM2 and 1ZM2, the bass is heavier, more texture in mid-bass, and the soundstage is wider and power is increased a little bit :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back