SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 8, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #3,946 of 15,985
I don't have this player and won't be buying it until it comes down in price but I'm pretty sure it's possible just to run the android debloat script. Haven't looked at the script itself but it's probably just a bunch of uninstall commands. Worth trying I reckon.

May 8, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,948 of 15,985
Hi sir, Just for future reference, how were u able to factory reset when it didnt boot up completely? Many thanks :)
Typically you Boot it into recovery mode ? Usually power play and volume up as a combination of keys ? Or different combinations :), then select factory reset

May 8, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,949 of 15,985
Hi sir, Just for future reference, how were u able to factory reset when it didnt boot up completely? Many thanks :)
I had to hold down Power button and Volume Down button to force it to reboot.

I am not sure exactly what was the button combination that did the job as I was frantically trying out many combinations. But I am guessing it was combination of holding down Power button + fast forward button that triggered the Android Recovery Mode.

It’s not a situation you want to get yourself into. Especially if you are buying an imported set and not from a local store. So don’t try to attempt to do this ADB stuff unless you are knowledgeable enough or follow in someone’s footsteps like here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...kman-optimization-guide.962975/#post-16953155

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #3,950 of 15,985
I don't have this player and won't be buying it until it comes down in price but I'm pretty sure it's possible just to run the android debloat script. Haven't looked at the script itself but it's probably just a bunch of uninstall commands. Worth trying I reckon.
I think the M2 Walkman is much less bloated as compared to the typical Samsung/Xiaomi/Huawei/SonyXperia android devices.

I have listed all the installed packages here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...kman-optimization-guide.962975/#post-16953152

I tried using the android debloater script software, both the OpenGL and gui version, only the OpenGL version seem to work on my pc but it failed to detect my Walkman that has usb adb connected.

I have skimmed through the android debloater scripts source scripts, it seems more catered towards removing smartphone based oem carrier bundled apps and might not necessarily will do a good job at doing the kind of specific debloating that we really require for music playback:

https://github.com/0x192/universal-android-debloater/blob/main/resources/assets/uad_lists.json

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #3,951 of 15,985
May 8, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #3,952 of 15,985
Just some online info I found on difference between disabling apps and uninstalling android apps

• Performance & battery: If you disable an app, it becomes invisible to the user – but the files are still there. Also, the package manager still knows it exists. Plus the app's "intents" are still available: if another apps directly calls them, the disabled app still responds to the call. It also seems to listen to some broadcasts it previously had registered listeners on (example: my LG Optimus 4X has those bloated LG stuff I've disabled. Nevertheless, after each boot I receive prompts from their "remote service" app to approve).
    That means, a disabled app can still be running in background, if called from some other place – and consume battery plus CPU, even bandwidth and other resources. A removed app obviously can't.
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...ng-an-app-any-different-from-disabling-an-app

May 9, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #3,954 of 15,985
Finally getting some extra hours listening on the wm1am2, really amazed how it is able to extract those extra details on the songs i am familiar with. I have very old headphone gears with it - hd600, UE tf10 and sennheiser ie800 and these have been with me for many years already and honestly surprised the m2 is still able to give me details i never thought was there. I am coming from the wm1a and before that the zx507 and other daps. I really got the m2 just for the streaming (the wm1a was ”perfect” for me sound quality-wise), as i have multiple music subscriptions aside from my local music of about 400gb+ so having this SQ improvement that is immediately noticeable from a long time sony user is very much welcome.

May 9, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #3,955 of 15,985
Finally getting some extra hours listening on the wm1am2, really amazed how it is able to extract those extra details on the songs i am familiar with. I have very old headphone gears with it - hd600, UE tf10 and sennheiser ie800 and these have been with me for many years already and honestly surprised the m2 is still able to give me details i never thought was there. I am coming from the wm1a and before that the zx507 and other daps. I really got the m2 just for the streaming (the wm1a was ”perfect” for me sound quality-wise), as i have multiple music subscriptions aside from my local music of about 400gb+ so having this SQ improvement that is immediately noticeable from a long time sony user is very much welcome.

Hi bro, are you the same shootertwist who was previously active in the PH-specific headfi forums in the past (TipidPC, Headphiles)? Your handle seems very familiar (it's like a light bulb suddenly lit in the deepest recesses of my brain lol).

Congratulations on your new NW-WM1AM2! Also a happy camper here (coming from the older NW-WM1A and PCM-D100). :smile:

May 9, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,956 of 15,985
it was a point of time report :) New day, new discovery. Since yesterday, 1ZM2 burned in additional 28 hours (screenshot attached) and out of a sudden, it expanded its soundstage overnight. I can hear how music floats even more effortlessly. At 231 hrs, M2 surpassed well-burned 1Z in all sound properties. What's next? Stacking WM1ZM2 against DMP-Z1 in similar tests.

P.S. I see you also like Sony IER-Z1R with the stock cable.

Yeah… It does happen, doesn’t it? That we hear different things during different parts of this journey. On the Sony IER-Z1R, it is a great IEM. I’ve tried it with Kimber Kable as well as with silver litz. But with each change of cable, something is lost. I have now settled back on the stock cable. I think it is the most balanced cable for what I want from the Sony IER-Z1R. :)

May 9, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #3,957 of 15,985
Hi bro, are you the same shootertwist who was previously active in the PH-specific headfi forums in the past (TipidPC, Headphiles)? Your handle seems very familiar (it's like a light bulb suddenly lit in the deepest recesses of my brain lol).

Congratulations on your new NW-WM1AM2! Also a happy camper here (coming from the older NW-WM1A and PCM-D100). :smile:
Yes bro, i was also the one who contacted you on messenger about it :) i saw your post on our local fb audio group seems like you were not able to resist the urge haha!
There’s just something unique with sony’s house sound, just non fatiguing, relaxed and detailed at the same time :)

May 9, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #3,958 of 15,985
Yes bro, i was also the one who contacted you on messenger about it :) i saw your post on our local fb audio group seems like you were not able to resist the urge haha!
There’s just something unique with sony’s house sound, just non fatiguing, relaxed and detailed at the same time :)
hahaha! yes, the urge is very strong in this new DAP! :sweat_smile:
combined with my rai penta IEMs, the wm1am2 gives me hours of non-fatiguing yet highly dynamic sound. i think i've found my endgame portable setup!!!

May 9, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,959 of 15,985
There's a new icon for the walkman in windows:

wm.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back