SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 8, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,931 of 15,986
This thread is filled with people talking about DAPs noone can buy yet! 🤪 No wonder they're measuring the EMI differential of 300MB of solid state RAM. 🙈

Its funnier than Mrs Browns Boys! Keep it up!

We really need to get some members signed up to the Navy Sub Detection or listen for alien life in the SETI project.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3,932 of 15,986
This thread is filled with people talking about DAPs noone can buy yet! 🤪 No wonder they're measuring the EMI differential of 300MB of solid state RAM. 🙈
Well I did and sent it back next day so 😝 Sony were excellent with return and refund. Money back after 4 days!

😇

PS I'm still checking daily for 1AM2 Amazon Japan stock.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #3,933 of 15,986
Voltage skews and jitters are the 2 main vigilantes that is heavily affecting the overall systems. Just as long as there are power running and drawing, the noises floors will be polluted with noises, even if it is below the floor noises to our ears, but to the systems where digital reading is accounted with mV-uV and so on....it matters....quiet more than one would think. But then it would come down to the correction algorithms to take care of the rest. Because if it doesn’t, then the whole things become corrupted though. However, time domains data will show it, and I don’t mean that you can measure it with simple 1 flat frequency sweep either.

But if it doesn’t bother you, why worry ? Just be happy

For those interested, you can try this experiment:

Find a lossless CD audio quality or higher quality music file that you own.

Use foobar, convert file to FLAC(set compression level 8)
flac.png

Use foobar, convert the same file to Wav

Now compare Flac Level 8 compression vs Wav on your walkman/or any very high sound quality playback equipment you have.

Even though these two files are still technically digitally(bits) lossless. You may find the files to sound just abit different. The difference is FLAC file requiring more CPU processing cycles to decompress the FLAC format which in turn draws more power and creates more electrical noise which ultimately affects the signal timing precision performance of your walkman/audio equipment.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #3,934 of 15,986
For those interested, you can try this experiment:

Find a lossless CD audio quality or higher quality music file that you own.

Use foobar, convert file to FLAC(set compression level 8)

Use foobar, convert the same file to Wav

Now compare Flac Level 8 compression vs Wav on your walkman/or any very high sound quality playback equipment you have.

Even though these two files are still technically digitally(bits) lossless. You may find the files to sound just abit different. The difference is FLAC file requiring more CPU processing cycles to decompress the FLAC format which in turn draws more power and creates more electrical noise which ultimately affects the signal timing precision performance of your walkman/audio equipment.
I'm not sure we have any bats on this thread? 🤭

May 8, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #3,935 of 15,986
and only works native(no pcm conversion) in 4.4mm balanced jack

Well, native DSD via 3.5 might just be disabled, in the same way it is on the M1 players.

May 8, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #3,937 of 15,986
I'm not sure we have any bats on this thread? 🤭
Just how important is having clean power in audio? Just ask this Japanese audiophile:

Please... let's stop this discussion here once and for all 🙂. It will lead to nothing. This thread is titled as "NEW SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2". Please stick to it. Readers want to know something about exactly these two new models and rather not about something else. For other topics there are other threads here.
I know sometimes it's hard to stay focussed or concentrate on facts. But please, do also think of those trying to follow this thread. Let's be honest, until now, all these pages deliver very very very few facts on exactly these two new DAPs. The main fact we can read here is that these models are still mostly unavailable throughout the globe. And that's not much. IMHO

May 8, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #3,938 of 15,986
Just how important is having clean power in audio? Just ask this Japanese audiophile:

It's always funny to see such huge and tall speakers in such small rooms with ultra short distance from the speakers.. I wonder how coherent can be the stage in such case.

May 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,939 of 15,986
Please... let's stop this discussion here once and for all 🙂. It will lead to nothing. This thread is titled as "NEW SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2". Please stick to it. Readers want to know something about exactly these two new models and rather not about something else. For other topics there are other threads here.
I know sometimes it's hard to stay focussed or concentrate on facts. But please, do also think of those trying to follow this thread. Let's be honest, until now, all these pages deliver very very very few facts on exactly these two new DAPs. The main fact we can read here is that these models are still mostly unavailable throughout the globe. And that's not much. IMHO
Please just add me to your ignore list and be done with it. My discussions is based on improving the performance, enjoyment and sound quality of the Walkman and the discussion will evolve into topics that cover the audiophile, electrical engineering and other aspects of the hobby including snake oil and such. I am certain that my discussion is not grossly out of topic.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,940 of 15,986
... and the discussion will evolve into topics that cover the audiophile, electrical engineering and other aspects of the hobby including snake oil and such.
And exactly this has nothing to do with these two DAPs, you see? 😉 This thread is not meant to cover such general discussions you could start with any sort of audio equipment. I understand your high interest and efforts on improving audio performance. But, why not opening a separate thread with exactly that topic? Would be far more satisfying for everyone. And all people who like to join exactly that discussion could follow you on exactly that special thread. Would be a much more efficient way of communication 😉.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #3,941 of 15,986
Its in the name, Sonywalkmanuser has to convince us that each new high-end Sony is the Holy Grail.

If it makes him happy then its all good fun. As he says, you can always ignore or just skim over the long ones and don't click the videos.

I like the fantasy in the thread ✨

And who knows, maybe two or three members can hear chip level electonic noise in circuit boards.

Its all a bit of light hearted fun so hope my tongue-in-cheek posts don't offend the Immortals 🙂

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,943 of 15,986
Interesting. That 1Z is more airy than 1ZM2. Not at all my experience even as the 1ZM2 is burning in. And my 1Z was bought when it was first released. So, I would not take that as a universal truth. Always best to have a listen yourself. In any event, it would of course depend on what you listen with. :)
it was a point of time report :) New day, new discovery. Since yesterday, 1ZM2 burned in additional 28 hours (screenshot attached) and out of a sudden, it expanded its soundstage overnight. I can hear how music floats even more effortlessly. At 231 hrs, M2 surpassed well-burned 1Z in all sound properties. What's next? Stacking WM1ZM2 against DMP-Z1 in similar tests.

P.S. I see you also like Sony IER-Z1R with the stock cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-153146.png
    Screenshot_20220508-153146.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #3,944 of 15,986
Has anyone had his leather case warped near the balanced port? What's the warranty coverage on accessories? LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back