SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,152 of 15,612
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,153 of 15,612
Site now at least acknowledges it is out of stock:

Screenshot_20220426-191507_Chrome.jpg

I don't like to be negative but to launch a product with such a high price and instantly be 2 or 3 versions of android behind the current one is not good. One acknowledges there is at least a years development before an item comes to market, but the O/S Version is almost mutually exclusive at this point. If my 5 year old OLED Tv can and does still get Android updates I don't see why Sony can't update their Walkmans.
Hhmm... Android version on NW-WM1xM2 is said to be 11. Latest Android is 12. That's an acceptable lag 😉. TVs are mass products, DAPs are niche products 🤷🏼‍♂️. Does anyone know DAP models that got major Android updates over several years? IMHO, Android updates usually don't improve DAPs significantly. So, why update them?

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,154 of 15,612
I think the Sony Kimber only sounds good with the XBA and similar line

For IERZ1R I so far haven't found anything better than stock for both balanced and unbalanced. Especially at the price point

All my opinion
Great review of all the cable options for Sony Z1R.
Sony MDR Z1R cable review

Of course one now retired headphone reviewer did not like the Z1R one little bit....but I do using Sony Kimber and a 1z on Mr Walkman CFW

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #3,155 of 15,612
Site now at least acknowledges it is out of stock:

Screenshot_20220426-191507_Chrome.jpg

I don't like to be negative but to launch a product with such a high price and instantly be 2 or 3 versions of android behind the current one is not good. One acknowledges there is at least a years development before an item comes to market, but the O/S Version is almost mutually exclusive at this point. If my 5 year old OLED Tv can and does still get Android updates I don't see why Sony can't update their Walkmans.
To be honest, no other DAP I'm aware of comes with as high as Android 11. Should be supported for the likes of streaming apps for a good 8 year. Its a big plus for the Sony.

The cheap Hiby is still in 8.1! And I think latest iBasso is still only Android 9.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,156 of 15,612
Great review of all the cable options for Sony Z1R.
Sony MDR Z1R cable review

Of course one now retired headphone reviewer did not like the Z1R one little bit....but I do using Sony Kimber and a 1z on Mr Walkman CFW
That is the MDR, the discussion here was about the IER. Whereas the stock cable for the IER is generally considered to be pretty good the same can not be said about the stock cable for the MDR

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,157 of 15,612
Hhmm... Android version on NW-WM1xM2 is said to be 11. Latest Android is 12. That's an acceptable lag 😉. TVs are mass products, DAPs are niche products 🤷🏼‍♂️. Does anyone know DAP models that got major Android updates over several years? IMHO, Android updates usually don't improve DAPs significantly. So, why update them?
As long as streaming music apps and youtube works, I don't think there's a real need for higher versions of Android.

You can read about the changes from Android 11 to 12.
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-living-history-from-1-0-to-today.html?page=2

I don't think there will be any major changes in audio or system related performances if the OS gets upgraded, especially for the kind of uncommon SOC Sony has chosen for the M2 Walkmans.

Outside of the standard google bloatware, Sony has kept the Walkman Android OS very lean. It's running fine with just 4GB for those who streams but don't expect to be doing serious web browsing and anything that is computationally intensive(e.g. getting the CPU to do software DSD Remastering or etc).

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,158 of 15,612
My negativity comes from being burned with the ZX1. It might as well be a Sony OS now. Hardly any apps will install on the Android OS now, certainly no streaming apps. No one has a crystal ball that can say Amazon music or Spotify or Qobuz etc won't withdraw support for older versions of Android favouring newer ones. That's exactly what happened with Amazon and Tidal I was using. Android 13 will be out in June/July. 14 scheduled for next year.

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,159 of 15,612
That is the MDR, the discussion here was about the IER. Whereas the stock cable for the IER is generally considered to be pretty good the same can not be said about the stock cable for the MDR
100% agree

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,160 of 15,612
My negativity comes from being burned with the ZX1. It might as well be a Sony OS now. Hardly any apps will install on the Android OS now, certainly no streaming apps. No one has a crystal ball that can say Amazon music or Spotify or Qobuz etc won't withdraw support for older versions of Android favouring newer ones. That's exactly what happened with Amazon and Tidal I was using. Android 13 will be out in June/July. 14 scheduled for next year.
I am mystified by all this talk. A computer updates. Tablets update. Phones Update. Why cant these DAP's? It is illogical. No updates means they are ALL NON-future proof.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,161 of 15,612
I am mystified by all this talk. A computer updates. Tablets update. Phones Update. Why cant these DAP's? It is illogical. No updates means they are ALL NON-future proof.
Small market, not worth further development resource once launched? Dealing with a new OS update maybe needs lots of work/testing etc.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,163 of 15,612
I am about to pull the trigger on one of these. If I don't get at least 6 years of use from it- I aint moving forward....

Is that a reasonable request?
Almost certainly as an off-line dap, as a streaming dap I don't think anybody can make you a promiss. I've had my 1ZM1 for 5 1/2 years and expect at least 10 years and maybe more from it

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,164 of 15,612
I am about to pull the trigger on one of these. If I don't get at least 6 years of use from it- I aint moving forward....

Is that a reasonable request?

Not an unreasonable request at all! I like to spend a little more on my tech for good quality and get years of enjoyment rather than cheap disposable items. I think one thing to bear in mind (note to myself too) that this has a USB DAC feature. So should Android version make streaming obsolete one could use a cable or potentially Bluetooth in a future update to stream from a phone or tablet.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,165 of 15,612
Plus Sony may take 6 years to bring another out so you feel your using latest for a while unlike with some other companies with new models all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back