SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #3,166 of 15,612
Sony Australia’s stock ETA’s have changed from 26th April for both 1AM2 & 1ZM2, to 28th June for 1AM2 & 8th August for 1ZM2

Do you have one on order? Hopefully this only affect new orders - not the existing

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #3,170 of 15,612
The only memory card you should be using for your Sony(TM) devices
download.jpg

A serious answer, just go get a Samsung or a Sandisk, there really isn't a need to get a MicroSD card meant for a security camera.

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3,171 of 15,612
@Sonywalkmanuser would you say that it's worth getting the wm1am2 over the original a/z or is it better to get a used z? Don't need streaming, but if the sound is that much better over the mr walkman mods, I can live with android. I'd be pairing with sony m9's.

I've been lurking in the walkman threads forever lol

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #3,172 of 15,612
The only memory card you should be using for your Sony(TM) devices
download.jpg

A serious answer, just go get a Samsung or a Sandisk, there really isn't a need to get a MicroSD card meant for a security camera.
I must say that I would be surprised if anyone heard a difference between a Sandisk or any of these hyper expensive cards. Has anyone done a "listening" comparison?

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #3,173 of 15,612
I must say that I would be surprised if anyone heard a difference between a Sandisk or any of these hyper expensive cards. Has anyone done a "listening" comparison?
Yes there is discussion and impressions further back in this thread within the last couple of weeks (at least I think it is in this thread)

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #3,174 of 15,612
@Sonywalkmanuser would you say that it's worth getting the wm1am2 over the original a/z or is it better to get a used z? Don't need streaming, but if the sound is that much better over the mr walkman mods, I can live with android. I'd be pairing with sony m9's.

I've been lurking in the walkman threads forever lol
I have not heard @MrWalkman firmwares before, so I am unable to make any comments on its sound quality.

I think it depends on whether you would like the Sony’s new spatial sound processing. The WM1AM2 Walkman to my ears has a 3D like spatial sound field, even in direct source On mode(though the effect is lesser). This will move music elements further away. Vocals and instruments have distance and may sound softer and less intimate than traditional stereo imaging.

Some people prefer their music to be pure and not altered too much by signal processing while others like their music to be dynamically enhanced by signal processing.

Sony signal processing has really improved tremendously in my opinion, basing on my experience with dsee hx on zx2 Walkman to the incremental dsee hx to dsee hx AI and finally to Dsee ultimate during zx507 various firmware updates during the 2 year period. And finally on what I am hearing of the DSEE Ultimate on the wm1am2.

For me I do think that this 3D spatial sound field really does synergies very well with the IER-M9 which excels with imaging of instrument spacial locations with excellent presentation of soundstage height, width and depth.

Also the WM1AM2 has very powerful and fast bass delivery that really enhances the IER-M9 bass response to the point where it very much sounds like a dynamic driver iem. You get to feel the bass air movement and as well as super tight bass impact feel that hits your ear drums with impact force like a DD driver would. Though I must say the choice of iem tips matters a lot for ier-m9 to have dd-like bass.

Also transient response feel of this WM1AM2 is as fast as a bullet, if you enjoy music with fast tempo and rhythm, the WM1AM2 won’t disappoint.

Also I feel that this new Walkman has a very pristine and accurate vocal presentation, to the point where I can even sense the varying distances that exists between the singer and his/her microphone placement on very well recorded music files.

The new Walkmans also has a bigger screen and longer battery run time over its previous model. It also comes with modern and faster usb-c charging.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #3,176 of 15,612
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #3,177 of 15,612
@Whitigir

I found an article which measured the idle power draw of various microSD cards. I guess this is evidence that shows industrial cards have better power management design over consumer cards.

https://goughlui.com/2021/02/27/experiment-microsd-card-power-consumption-spi-performance/

SanDisk Ultra: 1.25mA
EBE35719-960B-49BF-AACA-623A20C13171.jpeg

Verbatim Premium: 1.45mA
DEE58D75-1254-4111-B2C8-4B554DCDA810.jpeg

Delkin Devices Industrial card: 0.15mA
AB429E0F-CE21-4AE9-8F7A-545F3F053D72.jpeg
Good find! At least some of us could have hear the differences :), and Sony didn’t lie to us

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,178 of 15,612
The Sandisk Extreme Pro 1tb and Micron 1tb are around $100 difference. Not the end of the world when the Walkman costs close to $4,000 and people spend thousands of dollars on a cable; not me...
Good find! At least some of us could have hear the differences :), and Sony didn’t lie to us
Will you believe the words of the current Sony head engineer in charge of Sound Quality of the Walkman division, Mr Sato who has said that he can hear differences in microSD cards? Is he a liar?

The thing is the microSD card has physical electrical connection to Walkman. It is a connected component of the audio circuitry. Can the microSD affect the digital audio signals of the Walkman? Well this depends on how much of the electrical noise generated by the microSD electrical components gets into the Walkman’s high precision highly sensitive digital clocking circuitry and how much it affects its signal timing.

We have to look deeper and understand that recreating super accurate sound from digital audio requires very accurately timed data and signalling for the dac to reconstruct into analog signals to the amplifier so as to send the perfectly timed voltage rise or fall to the headphones/iem

More about this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/digital-myth?amp

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #3,179 of 15,612
Will you believe the words of the current Sony head engineer in charge of Sound Quality of the Walkman division, Mr Sato who has said that he can hear differences in microSD cards? Is he a liar?

The thing is the microSD card has physical electrical connection to Walkman. It is a connected component of the audio circuitry. Can the microSD affect the digital audio signals of the Walkman? Well this depends on how much of the electrical noise generated by the microSD electrical components gets into the Walkman’s high precision highly sensitive digital clocking circuitry and how much it affects its signal timing.

We have to look deeper and understand that recreating super accurate sound from digital audio requires very accurately timed data and signalling for the dac to reconstruct into analog signals to the amplifier so as to send the perfectly timed voltage rise or fall to the headphones/iem

More about this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/digital-myth?amp

At his age his hearing will be diminished and he will be backed up by a team of younger listeners. He's a figurehead. Other than this, I'm staying out of the mSD card electonic noise debate 🙂

I don't listen with a set of these 😄

41WxI3lr8-L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back