SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #15,046 of 15,532
Swissbit incoming. @Sonywalkmanuser needs to be given commission by them lol

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #15,047 of 15,532
@andrewski you wouldn't believe if I'd tell by memory that 1am2 on fw1.08 gave me a sensation to get nearer to z1m2 signature , while before they were not particularly near ( to my ears) ..the things that keep them apart - going by memory so 3grams of salt here , is decay like you say for a deeper reverb sensation and deeper layers on bass , a more extended smoother highs sensation ( 1am2 doesnt feel 'infinite' as extension in highs ) but the most, detail and details intricacy was instantly 'above' on 1zm2 ..not sure i can imagine how are they faring in this regard , micro details rendering , on fw1.08

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #15,049 of 15,532
Swissbit incoming. @Sonywalkmanuser needs to be given commission by them lol
Also I don’t have affiliate links for people to click on. Also you don’t have to like and subscribe if you want to see more content like this.

Also it seems nothing from Swissbit is aimed at audiophiles. They are all in about data storage reliability:

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #15,050 of 15,532
Soon thread contributors will need to sign a waiver saying neither they not their extended family have shares in Swis*** 😉

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #15,051 of 15,532
Also I don’t have affiliate links for people to click on. Also you don’t have to like and subscribe if you want to see more content like this.

Also it seems nothing from Swissbit is aimed at audiophiles. They are all in about data storage reliability:

That error correction part is key i think. Unfortunately I lack the know-how to compare across the different brands and models. Also wonder about what Sony uses for the internal memory. Looking forward to receiving the Swissbit tomorrow!

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #15,052 of 15,532
That error correction part is key i think. Unfortunately I lack the know-how to compare across the different brands and models. Also wonder about what Sony uses for the internal memory. Looking forward to receiving the Swissbit tomorrow!

Although we don't know what nand flash is used for the M2 Walkman, It seems for their previous ZX507 walkman, Sony is using SK Hynix brand for the E-MMC internal storage:
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/sonys-upcoming-nw-zx507-walkman-multi.html

There are quality differences between cheaper microsd cards and more premium ones.

Each microsd uses Nand wafers bought from Micron or Kioxia or SK Hynix and etc... and there's a quality grade differences between the wafers used.

There's actually four grades for nand wafers sold by Micron:

AS grade− AS grade for SSD strict Bad block requirements.− Fully tested material, full density, 95% Valid blocks− Functional, High Quality NAND− Able to use in High Performance (multi-plane mode) applications.▪

AF Grade− Fully tested material, full density 94% Valid blocks▪ Valid blocks not optimal for Multi-plane applications− Can be used as either as either Density Optimized or Speed Optimized (but not both):▪ Less than full density in a high performance application or▪ Full density in a lower performance application or▪ Use single plane operation or Firmware better structured lower grades.▪

AR grades− Quick scan tested Material to identify gross bad blocks.− Sorted by the initial Valid blocks after scan− Customer is expected to test remaining unmarked blocks.▪

MB Grade (Effective April 11, 2019)− Mixed Bins Material, limited return policy− Customer is expected to test all blocks− Effective Yield: 35%

Customer’s Model: Recommended Product Grade

for low-cost Client SSD, build and go -AS

for Aggressive low-cost Client-SSD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AF

for low-cost USB or SD, build and go -AF

for Aggressive low-cost USB or SD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AR,-MB
source page 3: https://borecraft.com/PDF/Datasheets, WP, Specs/SpectekNANDBuyersGuide.pdf

So from the start, the higher quality nand cells would be more error/defect free as they are already initially tested and sorted out at the manufacturing side and sold at a higher price. Although it is impossible for us to know what grade was used for the specific microsd model, it would be logical to assume that cheaper microsd cards sold on the market are likely going to be using more lower grade nand wafers to keep cost down. While the in case of more premium industrial products from the likes of Swissbit, where reliability is key concern, they would be using the higher quality grade nand wafers from the get go.

I actually learned alot from this website:
https://www.simms.co.uk/tech-talk/nand-flash-controllers-why-they-matter/

The whole microSD quality research/comparison is still basically a complete mystery since these manufacturers are super secretive about their datasheets and specifications published, especially for commercial grade cards as these manufacturers can change the internal design or quality at any given time and no one else will know.

But I think there's one hint that can be helpful, that's the industrial manufacturer's website and datasheets. If they are willing to disclose a lot more information with regards to their datasheets and manufacturing & testing processes, it means they are serious about their products and have to back them up with quality design and engineering. Does all these lead to better sound quality? Maybe? I would think so as these industrial cards would have more resources placed into the electrical and signalling(noise and interference) aspect of the cards to ensure reliability.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #15,053 of 15,532
Yet another amazing music I have found, his singing is so awesome, it literally takes you on a journey.

He was the talented lead singer for the famous 90's band Wet Wet Wet, left the band in 2017.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #15,056 of 15,532
I listened to the 64audio Fourte Blanc with my ZM2 for a few hours this week and really loved the imaging and soundstage width compared to my Sony M9’s. Also found myself being able to completely relax and loosing time listening, maybe because of that APEX air venting. Anybody else use or familiar with the Fourte Blanc and can recommend another TOTL iem to try?

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #15,058 of 15,532
Hi all,

Just got back from India and have a funny experience to share re. 1ZM2 (I call her Goldie). So, I was at the Delhi Airport immigration security check and put aside my laptops and phones for screening with the rest of the stuff in my bagpack.. Then suddenly, the officer shouts "Who's bag is this?" and I was quite alarmed. He asked me to open the side pocket and then pulled out Goldie and looked at it very, very suspiciously (I guess especially since it's so heavy). He said "It showed up as very dark in the X-ray scanner".

At this point, I was quite sure he was going to take it away from me (My <1 month old baby!!!) I told him it was a music player but he didn't believe me so I had to turn it on.. and of course Goldie took a whole minute and they were getting more suspicious by the second. At the peak, he pressed play and heard no sound (because there's no speakers!) and got even more confused.. Then I let him connect the Z1R and he put in on...

That's when the frown turned into a huge, huge smile :beyersmile: Then he said, "Thik hai" meaning "OK, go ahead!" and said he hasn't seen such a beautiful thing before. All went well after that.

Moral of the story is to take out and separate the Goldie with phones when going thru airport security.. I can see how they thought it was a potential bomb given all the big big capacitors and weight to it, so no hard feelings.

Re. SQ, it's been 3 weeks I'm still floored by the new depths that Goldie is bringing me to songs I new since teenage years.. I'm not sure why I chose DX320 over this in the first place besides cost but in my mind, Goldie's SQ in unequivocally better than the DX320X on the subtler points re. timbre, imaging and separation (which are harder to appreciate on a noisy demo floor)

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #15,059 of 15,532
Hi all,

Just got back from India and have a funny experience to share re. 1ZM2 (I call her Goldie). So, I was at the Delhi Airport immigration security check and put aside my laptops and phones for screening with the rest of the stuff in my bagpack.. Then suddenly, the officer shouts "Who's bag is this?" and I was quite alarmed. He asked me to open the side pocket and then pulled out Goldie and looked at it very, very suspiciously (I guess especially since it's so heavy). He said "It showed up as very dark in the X-ray scanner".

At this point, I was quite sure he was going to take it away from me (My <1 month old baby!!!) I told him it was a music player but he didn't believe me so I had to turn it on.. and of course Goldie took a whole minute and they were getting more suspicious by the second. At the peak, he pressed play and heard no sound (because there's no speakers!) and got even more confused.. Then I let him connect the Z1R and he put in on...

That's when the frown turned into a huge, huge smile :beyersmile: Then he said, "Thik hai" meaning "OK, go ahead!" and said he hasn't seen such a beautiful thing before. All went well after that.

Moral of the story is to take out and separate the Goldie with phones when going thru airport security.. I can see how they thought it was a potential bomb given all the big big capacitors and weight to it, so no hard feelings.

Re. SQ, it's been 3 weeks I'm still floored by the new depths that Goldie is bringing me to songs I new since teenage years.. I'm not sure why I chose DX320 over this in the first place besides cost but in my mind, Goldie's SQ in unequivocally better than the DX320X on the subtler points re. timbre, imaging and separation (which are harder to appreciate on a noisy demo floor)
Delhi airport is one of the most strict airport I have been to. I shared one story in some thread where I was taken aside for Ifi Gold Bar for whole 10-15 mins and was questioned. Luckily I had an IEM and iPhone cable else it would have been difficult to prove what it was as I was not carrying any box or doc about it.

I have taken Walkman with me but I always put it in the tray outside so that they don’t question me.

Have taken weird stuffs like Woo Wa-8 in multiple airports but have always been questioned at Delhi if you carry something that’s not common.

In a way it is good that they are so thorough but kind of hassle as well if you are coming after a long trip.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #15,060 of 15,532
Hi all,

Happened to me twice,I'm in India too. Both the times while travelling abroad.
Indian Customs are like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back