SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #15,061 of 15,531
Haha, great to know that it's not just me then :smile:

Delhi airport is one of the most strict airport I have been to. I shared one story in some thread where I was taken aside for Ifi Gold Bar for whole 10-15 mins and was questioned. Luckily I had an IEM and iPhone cable else it would have been difficult to prove what it was as I was not carrying any box or doc about it.

I have taken Walkman with me but I always put it in the tray outside so that they don’t question me.

Have taken weird stuffs like Woo Wa-8 in multiple airports but have always been questioned at Delhi if you carry something that’s not common.

In a way it is good that they are so thorough but kind of hassle as well if you are coming after a long trip.

Happened to me twice,I'm in India too. Both the times while travelling abroad.
Indian Customs are like that.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #15,063 of 15,531
can you guys compare wm1am2 to ibasso dx260
So somehow I can't imagine that anyone in the group here has an iBasso Dx260. I can only tell you that I had the DX 300 and the DX 320. They're not bad, but somehow I wasn't really happy with either of them. I was totally dissatisfied with the DX 320. I think iBasso has terrible sound tuning. The upper mids are too strong, so the whole thing tends to scream. At least to my ears. So I personally would never buy an iBasso again if I couldn't listen to it extensively first. After the iBassos I had a Shanling M8. I also heard the M9. So if it has to be something other than Sony, I would personally only buy something from Shanling. Also blind. So I have the AM2 and I'm very happy. It's all true. Sound, battery life and it doesn't get hot at all. The form factor and weight is also okay for your pocket.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #15,064 of 15,531
So somehow I can't imagine that anyone in the group here has an iBasso Dx260. I can only tell you that I had the DX 300 and the DX 320. They're not bad, but somehow I wasn't really happy with either of them. I was totally dissatisfied with the DX 320. I think iBasso has terrible sound tuning. The upper mids are too strong, so the whole thing tends to scream. At least to my ears. So I personally would never buy an iBasso again if I couldn't listen to it extensively first. After the iBassos I had a Shanling M8. I also heard the M9. So if it has to be something other than Sony, I would personally only buy something from Shanling. Also blind. So I have the AM2 and I'm very happy. It's all true. Sound, battery life and it doesn't get hot at all. The form factor and weight is also okay for your pocket.
Agree 100%, if not Sony then Shanling. They do make musical DAPs

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #15,065 of 15,531
Agree 100%, if not Sony then Shanling. They do make musical DAPs
Yes, Shanling's sound quality is really good. Nice warm full sound. At least the M8. It just got very hot and then switched off when I sat on the beach in the shade at 33 degrees. Everything was ok in the room. Therefore my choice was the AM2. I can sit with him in the blazing sun from morning to evening and he plays and plays. Ok, it's hand warm but not so hot that I burn my fingers.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #15,066 of 15,531
Need some advise…I buy lot of music and used to buy H-res files but now I use HqPlayer for desktop use and with DSEE ultimate always engaged for portable use, does it make sense to buy Hi-res files or CD quality is better option going forward ?

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #15,067 of 15,531
Need some advise…I buy lot of music and used to buy H-res files but now I use HqPlayer for desktop use and with DSEE ultimate always engaged for portable use, does it make sense to buy Hi-res files or CD quality is better option going forward ?
I vote rip your CD's.

Downloaded CD quality is not as good as downloaded Hi Res. But locally ripped CD's sound better than downloaded anything. IMHO :)

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #15,068 of 15,531
I'm a big believer in 44.1khz 16-bit. When I said earlier that I was enjoying the convenience of Bluetooth, it wasn't all that convenient because every single time I connect, I go to developer options and switch to 44.1khz, 16-bit, and "best quality" which is 909kbps in my case :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #15,071 of 15,531
I would think it is better to get the highest available format that you can find for the music that you really like. As in I would be more selective about which artists to buy in high resolution format.

The actual mastering of the music file is more important than the container of the file, I have heard 24bit remastered music that have screw ups on the dynamics and actually have clipping and distortions that was totally missed out by these “mastering engineers”, whom probably didn’t listen to their mixes on headphones.

The original non-remastered 16bit 44.1Khz version turns out to be the better one even though the dynamics is not as strong, which you can use DSEE to enhance upon.

Back in the 90s, many of us had thought that mp3 320kbps was audibly indistinguishable from CD audio quality but that turned out to be a false perception resulting from the limitations (sound quality bottleneck) of the playback equipment of that era. And some of us have not kept the original cd audio source file and are left with 320kbps mp3 “masters”. Those days storage was a premium and keeping uncompressed wave files was too expensive option(flac wasn’t a thing back then).

Although there could be fake high resolution files out there. These are recordings that are originally 16bit 44.1/48KHz content that are just lazily upsampled using software DSP and sold as high resolution files. You can use this free tool to check if your current music collection is really high res or fake res:
https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #15,072 of 15,531
I'm not happy with the battery life of my Wm1am2 player. Yes, it is fine if you play the songs in order with the screen off. But if you navigate between programs while wifi is on, the battery drains very quickly. The battery melts like ice cream under sunlight!
I am afraid to use my player because of the battery. The screen must always be off. Wifi must be turned off. You should not navigate the menus while listening to music. Otherwise, the battery will decrease by 15-20% in half an hour.
Is this normal?

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #15,073 of 15,531
I'm not happy with the battery life of my Wm1am2 player. Yes, it is fine if you play the songs in order with the screen off. But if you navigate between programs while wifi is on, the battery drains very quickly. The battery melts like ice cream under sunlight!
I am afraid to use my player because of the battery. The screen must always be off. Wifi must be turned off. You should not navigate the menus while listening to music. Otherwise, the battery will decrease by 15-20% in half an hour.
Is this normal?
Ya screen usage drains battery. Also in Sunlight if brightness is max then it will drain even faster. Wi-Fi is fine. It’s the screen that drains it as per my experience. I mostly keep it off and use it just to select songs etc.
Also DSD upsampling eats a lot of battery.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #15,074 of 15,531
Sorry if this was asked already.
Is there a way to turn on the WM1ZM2 without the side power on button?

Touching on screen is not an option with latest firmware.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #15,075 of 15,531
Sorry if this was asked already.
Is there a way to turn on the WM1ZM2 without the side power on button?

Touching on screen is not an option with latest firmware.

Thanks.
yes, connect it to Bluetooth remote like Fiio RM3 and use it for screen wake up function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back