Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 24, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #691 of 860
has anyone else used the line out and mini amp? I just got my super mini moy yesterday but when I used the line out it seems all the sound settings are lost, sounded very flat with hardly any bass at all... it actually sounded better with the headphone settings through the amp.

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #693 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by ollet
I guess I will buy one then. Can't wait to christmas to get another player (got the ipod photo). It will be very hard to choose color.. and once I do I will regret it.. So a little poll; Which is the best looking color?

Olle

Black is defintaely the sexiest (i am biased as well) I would say that silver is a close very very close second (It was either between silver or black for me, i chose black, but would have loved silver). I would say red is third, its just too... loud. And the other 2, well I say forget them?

Black=Silver>Red
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #694 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by combustion
has anyone else used the line out and mini amp? I just got my super mini moy yesterday but when I used the line out it seems all the sound settings are lost, sounded very flat with hardly any bass at all... it actually sounded better with the headphone settings through the amp.

exactly what kind of amp are you talking about? Line out will make everything sound flatter, it is sending a signal without adding equalizer into it. This is actually what you want, well maybe not in your situation. Its just like a car stereo, you dont want to haev your head unit (cd player) sending the signal to your amp for you subs, with bass boost. Thats just stupid, you let it go flat to the amp, which then has its own set of physical bass boost capabilities. This would be the same in this situation, in that you dont want a "enhanced" signal going to an amplifier, where it will be further distorted. You want one "distortion" aka equilizer. I have Klipsch 2.1's, which I will plug in my sony hd3 using line out, when I am working on my computer (rewiring, changing things around, etc.) I do not remember noticing a flat sound at all, of course the speakers are self-amplified (pretty decently at that) but I do not know of any equalizer that they must use, but I am sure they must have some built in basic one, even though you cannot change it. ANywyas, I did not try using the normal headphone output, only the line out, which worked great for me.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say? Oh one last thing, DONT USE LINE OUT WITH NORMAL HEADPHONES, holy ****, I thought that my bose triports were going to break. IT sounded soo awful with line out. It was soo loud and distorted, no idea as to why.

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #696 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBlazexx
exactly what kind of amp are you talking about? Line out will make everything sound flatter, it is sending a signal without adding equalizer into it. This is actually what you want, well maybe not in your situation. Its just like a car stereo, you dont want to haev your head unit (cd player) sending the signal to your amp for you subs, with bass boost. Thats just stupid, you let it go flat to the amp, which then has its own set of physical bass boost capabilities. This would be the same in this situation, in that you dont want a "enhanced" signal going to an amplifier, where it will be further distorted. You want one "distortion" aka equilizer. I have Klipsch 2.1's, which I will plug in my sony hd3 using line out, when I am working on my computer (rewiring, changing things around, etc.) I do not remember noticing a flat sound at all, of course the speakers are self-amplified (pretty decently at that) but I do not know of any equalizer that they must use, but I am sure they must have some built in basic one, even though you cannot change it. ANywyas, I did not try using the normal headphone output, only the line out, which worked great for me.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say? Oh one last thing, DONT USE LINE OUT WITH NORMAL HEADPHONES, holy ****, I thought that my bose triports were going to break. IT sounded soo awful with line out. It was soo loud and distorted, no idea as to why.

I just realized something, are you talking about a headphone amp??? Or like ahome audio amplifier. If you are talking about a headphone amp, I have no experience with them what soever. If you are talking about a home stereo amplifier, one connected to a lot of speakers, i am 90% positive that you want the line out for sure.

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #697 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topsy-Turvy
Here's a pic of my baby:

nwhd1a4ok.jpg

Wow, that is gorgious!! absolutely beautiful!!! oh and the girl is nice too i guess.

Three questions: 1) what remote is that and how much was it? (ok thats two questions)
2) what kind of headphones?
3) How did you crop your image so perfectly? Did you use photoshop?

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #698 of 860
Thank-you!

The remote is the Sony RM-MC40ELK and I bought it on eBay for $69.00 USD. The headphones are Sony MDR-EX71SL. The picture was cropped a tiny bit in photoshop, but the original out of the cam was almost identical. I just laid all the gear on my notebook's LCD (bent down) and snapped the pic.

Mar 24, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #700 of 860
I got the pink one, and it's absolutely beautiful especially with the pink (or purple depends on the angle) backlight!
biggrin.gif

HD3 (pink) + MC40ELK remote + Ety 6i (with foamy tips) = perfect combination when traveling
etysmile.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #701 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBlazexx

I used the super min moy amp, but I see your point, if the amp had some sort of settings I'm sure it wouldve sounded much better... but to tell you the trutch I dont think my hd3 even needs amp to push my er6i's, needless to say its going back. Thanks Drew btw!

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #702 of 860
I've had my HD3 a month now and after a shaky start including receiving one with a damaged screen and then scrapping a couple of weeks worth of transferring music after discovering that ATRAC3Plus64 wasn't good enough for me, downloading 3.0 and discovering that all of my combined albums and playlists had to be relabled, which was worse than just having them disappear in my opinion, I have to say that I like the unit as much as I hate SS. My girlfriend uses iTunes and I never hear her talk crap about it or curse at it. My latest mishap has to do with tweaking my library and retransferring about 6000 songs all at once (I am running a two month old Dell with a P4 3.0). When I left for work this morining it has just frozen and wouldn't budge. I ended up having to do a hard reboot, twice. I'll trying doing it in two batches tonight.

Another gripe against Sony/Connect: I pre ordered a CD from the sony music store and it came with a free download that actually came in MP3 format which was a shock. Believe it or not, this is my first experience with an MP3 because I only buy CDs. First it was only half of a live song that faded during the interlude. Then I imported it into SS and it would not let me make an audio CD, an mp3 CD, an ATRAC CD, or even move it to my portable to due "rights management issues". A few days later my system mysteriously crashed and after fixing that, the track wouldn't play at all due to the same message.

With my double CD sets, I import them into the same album title and then re-number them so it reads as one album. This works 95% off the time but once in awhile, it just won't combine two different CDs and the next day, it will.

I love the unit though, I tried to drain the battery the night before the new transfer and it took well over 24 hours of non-stop playing and the battery wasn't fully charged either. That is my main gripe with the iPod. Why have a system that drains it so quickly even when it's not being used? Also the Sony is almost 1/2 the size when compared to the 20G and up models.

Going back several posts, I personally don't think that ATRAC3Plus64 is anywhere near a mp3 at 128, however I do think ATRAC3 105 is better than mp3 128 and ATRAC 132 sounds more like MP3 192, in my little opinion, and I've been listening to portables for a long time.

This is a great thread and I would love to read some more posts after more of you receive your units.

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #703 of 860
Quote:

I have to say that I like the unit as much as I hate SS.

That sums it up for me too.

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #704 of 860
silver=standard
black=very nice and stylish
red=sexy and...unexpected
pink..nm

I didn't know whether to take the black or the red one. Got the red one, just to take a different color, for a change. I think the color will 'last longer' aswell. I mean, mentally
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as SS, I have absolutely no problems with it, but then again, I use winamp. (1 big list, that's it) I have close to 2000 songs, so not as many as you guys, but SS didn't crash on me once, and transfer was bloody fast.

They should rename 'groups' to 'folders', much more understandable.

absolutely love the device, SS is an excellent trasfer program. (don't use it for music management).
Gonna order one of those MC40 remotes.
Ow, and my (euro) version had the max volume limited (not AVLS, but somekinda extra limitation), got that off with the service menu, coz really, I couldn't put it loud enough just to compensate for normal traffic noise.

Mar 25, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #705 of 860
So finally, I have ordered the black one with Shure E3c. I hope it will be good... Hope the place I ordered it from is not on easter vacation, cause i can't wait to get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back