Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Mar 25, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #706 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selachii
silver=standard
black=very nice and stylish
red=sexy and...unexpected
pink..nm

I didn't know whether to take the black or the red one. Got the red one, just to take a different color, for a change. I think the color will 'last longer' aswell. I mean, mentally
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as SS, I have absolutely no problems with it, but then again, I use winamp. (1 big list, that's it) I have close to 2000 songs, so not as many as you guys, but SS didn't crash on me once, and transfer was bloody fast.

They should rename 'groups' to 'folders', much more understandable.

absolutely love the device, SS is an excellent trasfer program. (don't use it for music management).
Gonna order one of those MC40 remotes.
Ow, and my (euro) version had the max volume limited (not AVLS, but somekinda extra limitation), got that off with the service menu, coz really, I couldn't put it loud enough just to compensate for normal traffic noise.

Red all the way. Sony's red devices are always more sought-after. I bet the resell value will be higher.

Mar 25, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #707 of 860
got mine in black. it looks classy and matches the black ex81 very well. its also quite small. the bass goes deep and does not distort. the creative muvo2 fm which i was using crackles when the bass is turned up too high. treble is clear. mid-range is present, but not strong, which makes for a less fatiguing sound i suppose. soundstage and stereo separation is very good. mp3 is not gapless and the gap is similar to the creative. the gap is very small, much smaller than the iriver ihp series.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #710 of 860
Is anyone using Shure E3c ear phones with the Sony and
can say something about the background hiss? Or are there
other ear phones of higher quality that don't increase the hiss?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #711 of 860
Hi. I got extremely lucky and found the case at a camera store locally. It's a Hama case model # 00026230 (Hama DF9 Digital Case).

I had to modify it. The zippers in front there, open to a pocket originally (for memory cards I guess). I cut out the pocket and seemed around the cutout to make the opening so you could use the player in the case. I also cut away a bit on the side straps so you could get access to all the controls. I removed the little rubber "Hama" symbol" on the fron too. The case turned out great! Here's another pic:

case22ga.jpg

Here's a link to the case online: Hama case model # 00026230

I also bought this case at the same time: Hama case model # 00026233

This one fit my Hi-MD PERFECTLY!

Hope that helps!

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #712 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by tropical
Thanks in advance.

i can't hear the hiss on my er6i.

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #713 of 860
another question. how do i make the player play an album only in repeat mode? i have set the the Play Unit and Repeat options, but the player will always play the next album when the last song on the current album ends, instead of going back to the first song on the current album.

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #714 of 860
I think you should set mode to 'album', go in the album, and have 'play unit' enabled ?
hmm... I haven't actually tried this tbh, gonna mess around and get back, busy reorganizing all my music and importing etc
smily_headphones1.gif

The NW-HD3 is such a lovely device, it encouraged me to get organized ... me even!

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #715 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selachii
I think you should set mode to 'album', go in the album, and have 'play unit' enabled ?
hmm... I haven't actually tried this tbh, gonna mess around and get back, busy reorganizing all my music and importing etc
smily_headphones1.gif

The NW-HD3 is such a lovely device, it encouraged me to get organized ... me even!

i have found the way to do it. i should go into the album and play the song in the album, instead of pressing the play button at the album view.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #720 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by tropical
Thanks in advance.

I have that exact setup, and yes, there is hiss. Tracks such as Night on the Bare Mountain (it's classical, OK!) with very quiet portions have noticeable hiss. Basically, if you ever had a tape walkman with an FM radio - the hiss on the NWHD3 is kinda like the hiss you'd get with the radio on that.

But if you have the volume any higher than 'quite low' you won't hear it at all. It's a minor issue, but given the design etc, on balance it's not a deal-breaker.

I spoke to a guy in a hifi store who has an NWHD1. He said he never had any hiss - I asked if he only used ATRAC3, he said yes. But he suggested that playing with the equalizer should get rid of the hiss. No idea of the veracity of that - any comments anyone?
Cheers
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back